Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
What is the best size Blue Boy tank?

I'm thinking of the 25 gal. 4 wheel model but CW has an Internet special on the 32 gal. 4 wheel model for $143. That might be more of pain to haul around though. Also is it true there are problems draining into tanks due to our low sewer outlets?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
I'm thinking of the 25 gal. 4 wheel model but CW has an Internet special on the 32 gal. 4 wheel model for $143. That might be more of pain to haul around though. Also is it true there are problems draining into tanks due to our low sewer outlets?
Thanks,
Ken
Ken, they are more of a pain to use, not for hauling around, but from having to lift 32 gallons of "stuff" over the curb at dump stations. At roughly 8 pounds per gallon, you will be lifting 256 pounds.
I have also had problems draining into the blue tanks because the sewer outlet is lower than the top of the blue tank. I have to set mine at an agle to get it to fill, and it doesn't fill all the way. Our 22 gallon tank is more than I really want to pick up when it is full.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have a 15 gallon. While it may be a little on the small side, I'm thinking I would get another 15 if I need more capacity and just carry two. Easier to handle if I have to haul to the dump station, or get it into the truck for a remote dump location.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I choose to avoid THAT lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Ken, they are more of a pain to use, not for hauling around, but from having to lift ...
I always tow my 25 gallon tank (with the provided hook) to the dump station. It turns out to be great family fun as mom & the Boyz get to sit on the tailgate monitoring the tow as I motor, at a walking pace, to the dump station. With guidance from the peanut gallery, the tank can be maneuvered right up to the dump hole.

My tank only has two wheels, so there is a small dead-lift hooking the bracket on the tow-ball. But my cousin has a 4-wheel model where no lifting (except to the upright position at the dump station) is required.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I used one last week and wished I had watched someone else a few times first, I wound up with a blue boot,,,,,,,,,,,,,, be ready for anything
Old 11-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Ours is a 10 gallon...it fits under the trailer and is able to fill with the low outlet. I can manuver it w/o too much trouble by myself. Being that our fresh water tank is only 25 gallons, it's big enough. We only use ours for gray...not black water.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I always tow my 25 gallon tank (with the provided hook) to the dump station. It turns out to be great family fun as mom & the Boyz get to sit on the tailgate monitoring the tow as I motor, at a walking pace, to the dump station. With guidance from the peanut gallery, the tank can be maneuvered right up to the dump hole.

My tank only has two wheels, so there is a small dead-lift hooking the bracket on the tow-ball. But my cousin has a 4-wheel model where no lifting (except to the upright position at the dump station) is required.

Tom
I also opted for 25 gallon w/tow handle. I have the 4-wheel model and tow very slowly. The hardest part is dragging it to the truck to tow if the terrain is rough and the tank is full. Draining hasn't been a problem at the site, but at the dump station I end up repositioning several times to get most everything out. Anything larger would be more than I could handle full.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I set out to do that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
...We only use ours for gray...not black water...
Yeah, that was my original plan. But camping with preschoolers has a tendancy to alter one's objectives.

With gray water, I simply canted the tank into the dump hole, and let the sudsy water drain with little regard for what splashed around. A quick rinse with the station's water hose of the general area, and we were on our way.

I now have a very short stinky slinky for use when dumping the blue tank when it has black water. Its use, in addition to keeping the place clean, also provides visual relief.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We've got a 22 gallon, and sometimes it's tough to get the coach to drain into it, if you don't have a level campsite. 22 gallons is heavy when it is full and it is a job to dump it. It does have 2 wheels and a hitch adaptor to hook it to a ball hitch on the TV. But you have to take it s l o w, because of the size of the wheels.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'm sorry, the correct answer is "25 gallons".

the rest of you are incorrect.

Ok, seriously, I like the 25 gallon, 4-wheeler. works out well for me...decent capacity, no lifting when its full...can be towed "4 down" as you MH-ers like to say. And while it is a tight fit to get it under the trailer, it does just barely fit when on a level site. There'd be more room if I sprang for new axles.
But as you can see in this aerial view from the last rally, it does just barely fit under the trailer...but placement does vary depending on the campsite. In any case, it wouldn't ever be higher than the lowest spot in your drain pipes, so if you hook up with the grey-water drain hose, the water will find its way to the tank.
now, the 32 gallon model might be too tall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1346 (Large).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	28181  
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Hi Chuck,I have 25 gal. Its big enough for me.Its gotten me more days,since the bambi is only 8 gal black tank.john.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
We have a 25 gal also and use it for both but mostly gray. There are few times the 39 gal black isn't big enough. I use a garden hose adapter on my trailer into the blue tank. Seldom is any hose necessary when dumping gray if it's done slowly. As to size the 25 gal is about all I can handle even with just having to lift on end onto the trailer ball---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
A couple of things we have done with a smaller blueboy (medium size) is to not empty the entire holding tank, not fill the blueboy to capacity (it's heavy) and make a couple of trips. I am still trying to figure out where to carry one, I don't think you need to get two. I mean really you only have to let out the water that accumulated around your feet in the shower, right.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thank you all! I'm going to pony up for the 25 gal. 4 wheel model.
-Ken
Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I don't want to crash your party, but I hope I never have to have one of those things. [Blue waste tank on wheels.] Tanks, but no tanks. Trailer tanks full? Time to move!

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I don't want to crash your party, but I hope I never have to have one of those things. [Blue waste tank on wheels.] Tanks, but no tanks. Trailer tanks full? Time to move!

Bob
That's OK as long as you have a grey tank...some of us don't, so a blue tote is needed. Other times you want to stay a little longer. Dave
Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
That's OK as long as you have a grey tank...some of us don't, so a blue tote is needed. Other times you want to stay a little longer. Dave
Hi, Dave. I guess that answers my unasked question. You people without grey tanks need these blue totes. Are you highjacking my trademark signature that I use to separate me from all the other Bobs?

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Dave. I guess that answers my unasked question. You people without grey tanks need these blue totes. Are you highjacking my trademark signature that I use to separate me from all the other Bobs?

Bob
Bob, I gotta admit I was, just in one of those testy moods, no harm meant! Really!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #19
_

. , .
hold the phone/online ordering a second silverback!

i've got the 32 gal model...and like it.

here's why...
-4 wheels means NO lifting and the pulling handle is much better than on the 25.
-raising a 25 up on 2 wheels still takes a lot of brut force...i tried one for a week before returning it for the 32...
-the 32 has a drain with push/pull valve on the side down low, so hook up a hose and drain just like the built in tanks....no lifting and pouring and so on...
-when empty the 32 is not much heavier than a 25
-the 32 is much much easier to attach and tow with your tv...to the dump station...

and as carol has pointed out there is no need to FILL to max capacity...but the 32 handles much better regardless of how full it is...

finally, IF you wanna enter the blueboy tote races at the bbIV rally the 4 wheels are much faster!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:56 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
finally, IF you wanna enter the blueboy tote races at the bbIV rally the 4 wheels are much faster!

cheers
2air'
And it looks like there is more room for a bigger battery and motor in the 32. I still like our 22, though.