Old 09-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Anyway... I went to Home Depot and got a chemical resistant spray bottle and put some Clorox in it. It will live in the TV in the box with the disposable gloves and the Clorox wipes.

leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Regardless of how you manage your hoses or what faucet you use - run the water for a while before you do anything with that water source. Flush out the faucet first. Then flush out the hose. The issue isn't just microbes, it's bugs and possibly things larger than a bug. You very much do *not* want to pump them into any part of your trailer.

Some campsites have a "run for 20 seconds" note somewhere associated with the water faucet. If you time it out, that's quite a while to be running it. It also is not uncommon to see a bit of a burst of rust when you first open the faucet. Maybe not a big deal, but still not what you want in your pipes.

A bit off topic - I went over to quick connects on the trailer inputs. Best couple of bucks I've spent so far. Getting them on and off the near ground level water inputs is *way* easier than (mis) threading hoses onto the fittings. That and going to "collapsible" hoses from the hard vinyl ones has made all of this a lot easier.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
From an operating room nurse here: DO NOT CROSS-CONTAMINATE THOSE HOSES!
One (dirty)hose for your clean out, and a second white/drinking-safe hose for your potable water only. Yes, backflow occurs at the connection to your trailer. You do not want to be drinking the contents of your black water tank.
While we’re on the subject, before you hook up your potable hose at the campground, wipe the faucet handle and connection with a Clorox or Lysol wipe. Most likely the person before you hooked up their dirty hose to that very faucet to clean up before they left. Also, keep a pair of shoes for use at the dump station and do not wear them into your tow vehicle. You don’t want to take that stuff home with you! Be safe, have fun.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
All good points. Having said that we never drink the water from the campground or from our tank; even though I sanitize my tank every year. It isn't just germs we are concerned about. It's all the nasty iron and sediments. We even filter our water at home. We buy water in the gallons and use that for drinking. And our cooking water is always heated first. I think if we were ever to use the drinking water at the camp site we would boil it first, then put in gallon jugs.

This may change, but I doubt it. I just bought a portable water softener. So will see how the water tastes after dong so. We have found the water at campgrounds very hard and rusty. Getting that water into the AS plumbing can cause all kinds of havoc over time to plumbing and connectors. The first thing every homeowner should do is get a good water softener to protect their plumbing from nasty sediments that eat away at plumbing fixtures. I figure the same should be true for RV's where water is often not as good as at home.

But as to the OP. I never use the same hose. I use one of those hoses that shrink up and I put it in the same area as the other septic hoses. I have a Y connector that I use when I hook up at the campground water supply.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
Iíve read all the comments on this thread and come to the conclusion that, during my 60 years of camping,Iíve built up an immunity to most everything, Iíve stayed at campgrounds in every one of the contiguous United States utilizing their spigots and their dump facilities. Iíve never ďsanitizedĒ the fresh water spigots and only rarely wore latex gloves or hardly any of the things suggested herein. Not that I think any of them are bad, just unnecessary, at 85 Iím probably not going to change either. But, in response to your actual question, I do carry a short (10í) hose for flushing the black water tank and rinsing the sewer hose. Now I have a macerater so I canít rinse the hose except with the gray water.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Troutdale , Oregon
I also use separate hoses for potable water and for tanks rinsing.

On a related note, it has always bothered me that the tank rinse connection is positioned directly ABOVE the water connection, so the inevitable leaking from the tank rinse drips right onto my fresh water port.

It’s gross, but it hasn’t killed me yet!
Spamcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #27

2007 28' Safari SE
Santa Barbara , California
Waste rinse hose

I carry one for fresh and one for rinse. Always dedicate them. If no backflow preventers spigot, use your own. Run spigot before using to clear out for a bit.
kayakcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Albuquerque , New Mexico
There is a special hose for flushing black water tank. Is gray with a yellow stripe so as to not be confused with potable water hose. Available at RV places. I use a Wye connector with double valve isolation for both the portable and flushing connections, but do not attach the flushing hose to the water supply until just before use. Also I agree with deconning the hose connection before use.
JohnandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Lexington , Kentucky
Smile separate hoses for sure

We keep the potable water (shore water) and poopie rinse hose as different hoses and put in different places! this is not a thing I would want to cheap out on!

ocropper is offline   Reply With Quote