Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Howell , Michigan
Question Waste tank- '64 24'

1964 airstream land yacht 24". out let on this drian wont connect to my drain hose connecter. my last camper had pins that tuck out and my drain hose connecter twisted on to it. The land yacht drain has the same frang as my drain hose connecter. Is that normal for the older airstreams. Please Help.
tommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Buy an adaptor. Sounds like the hose end was swapped for the trailer end?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Howell , Michigan
adapter

Thanks. I have never seen one like this before. I will let you know if I find an adapter.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
Thanks. I have never seen one like this before. I will let you know if I find an adapter.
Hi tommyt, This is what you are looking for. Amazon.com: Valterra T05-2285VP Thetford to Valterra Universal Adapter: Automotive.
You can find them at most RV stores.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Howell , Michigan
Smile adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Hi tommyt, This is what you are looking for. Amazon.com: Valterra T05-2285VP Thetford to Valterra Universal Adapter: Automotive.
You can find them at most RV stores.

Thanks I'm ordering one now. Thanks again
Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Waste tank- '64 24'

Greetings tommyt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
1964 airstream land yacht 24". out let on this drian wont connect to my drain hose connecter. my last camper had pins that tuck out and my drain hose connecter twisted on to it. The land yacht drain has the same frang as my drain hose connecter. Is that normal for the older airstreams. Please Help.
You may have either one of two problems.
  1. Airstreams typically utilize Thetford rather than Valterra sewer hose connector hardware. This hardware is much sturdier and lasts several times as long as the Valterra. A well-stocked RV service center will be able to order in the correct Thetford adapter pieces and they are well-worth the slight additional cost (IMHO).
  2. Your coach may still have its original dump valve for which parts are nearly unobtainable. These valves were metal and all of the adapter parts were metal (likely aluminum), but these parts are no longer available nor are rebuild kits for the metal valve itself. If this happens to be the case with your coach, the usual advice is to remove the metal valve and glass-in a new Thetford valve -- this had been done on my Overlander prior to my purchase in 1995.
Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Studio City , California
I need a waste tank and dumping vavle for a 64 tradewind I need everything to do with the septic system where can I get this at..... Help... I can not find anything that will fit. I have a 1972 service manual but no help there.
Ronmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Waste tank- '64 24'

Greetings Ronmccoy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmccoy View Post
I need a waste tank and dumping vavle for a 64 tradewind I need everything to do with the septic system where can I get this at..... Help... I can not find anything that will fit. I have a 1972 service manual but no help there.
I am not certain by your post exactly what you require, but the following may help:
  • If you can't find the hardware to attach the dump hose to the dump valve, you have one of two problems:
    • The coach may have its original metal dump valve which requires long-obsolete metal adapters. If this is the case, you will need to do one of two things:
      • Search the web and places like E-Bay for the metal adapters which appear on very rare occassions . . . expect these original components to be quite expensive.
      • Purchase a "glass-in" adapter that can be adapted to your existing tank once the original is cut off . . . I would suggest a Thetford adapter as it will be much more durable than the Valterra.
    • The adapter on your coach may be a replacement of the original, and if done by an Airstream aware shop it is likely a Thetford (most of the valve will be white). This adapter requires Thetford waste hose adapters which are special-order items at many non-Airstream aware parts centers. The color of the adapter parts should match the color of the point where the part attaches to the dump valve.
  • If you are trying to replace the entire tank and fittings, that is also possible. I believe that your coach likely uses the same blackwater tank as my '64 Overlander. I purchased a new tank and all of the fittings from Inland RV a little over a year ago . . . and the replacements fit perfectly.
Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Howell , Michigan
Silverleeper told me what i needed to fix my problem with my 64. You might want to check with him. I am lost with this project. this forum is a real life saver. If you find one let me know. I don't think mine is going to last very long. Good luck . Tommyt