Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
waste dump plumbing

Please help me, I have a 1961 Globetrotter, we have replaced the floor and are in the process (long process)of redoing the waste plumbing. The black tank had what I would call a cast iron cross attached to it that was not salvageable. The bottom of the tank has a 3" pipe with threads coming out of it, this cannot be removed because it is fiberglassed in the tank itsself. We thought we could use a 3" threaded male adapter to come off this them to a new pvc cross of the same size as the old one but this would put the two sides of the cross below the belly pan. I am sure there is a easy solution for this and I am not thinking. Can someone help and maybe post some pictures. I will try to post some pictures of the bottom of the tank in the morning.
Thanks,
Jill
jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think I have the same setup. I put a PVC tee on the threaded nipple and connected a macerator to one side and a drain valve to the other. It all fits under the bellyskin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain005.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	83915  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Hey, that's a great plumbing rig...the macerator is a neat touch...I use one 'externally'...

My only reservation, is that those macerators can be a bit 'touchy' to deal with if someone deposits the wrong stuff in the tank - sometimes you have to have access to them to 'unclog' the intake macerator tines, or replace the rubber impeller...and I'm not sure working on it while on your back under there would be very 'pleasant'...

Granted, you still have the normal dump valve to use if you have a problem, and could work on the macerator later...do you have a flexible connection there so you can remove it for service?

Don't get me wrong, your setup looks great, and I really wish I had the room to install ours into the trailer so I don't have to lug it around in a plastic bin - we have both valves on the rear, just forward of the bumper, so it's really not easily possible...

Good Job...
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I guess rule #6a then comes into play. Whoever deposits a cigarette butt, carrot stick, or other ungrindable material in the head gets to clean out the macerator.

Really, it has never had a problem, and it sure is nice to drain the tanks through a garden hose rather than a slinky.

There are three clamps and a rubber boot between the pump and the tee, it's pretty easy to drop it for r&r.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote