Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Waste drain trickle?

Thanks to resolution to many leaks, our plumbing system is now in order on our 1970 Safari.

The last owner put a permanent fitting in the waste drain, so a universal waste drain cap won't fit and it is just open, but with the valve closed.

Since there is no cap as of yet, we noticed a trickle of waste, (just gray water -- haven't had the guts to use the toilet yet) coming out of our waste drain whenever we turn the water on. When we open the valve, all drains just fine.

Is this trickle normal, even with the valve closed? Seems like it would gradually collect behind a cap and then be a yucky mess when you remove the cap to hook up the drain valve. Any suggestions?
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It's not normal...the seal at the valve is probably leaking...it may be stuck slightly open or it may be a little dried out... Before you tear it apart to replace, you might try some valve seal treatment to "plump" up the seal...Here's one product form Camping World: TST® Drain Valve Lube - 16 oz. - Camping World Here's another: Thetford Drain Valve Lubricant - 20 oz. - Camping World

It's worth a try...Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Thanks. I'm plumbing illiterate... have to have professional help with the leak repairs...

I will try the lubricant. If the valve does need replacing, is it a bear to do, or not so much?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Well, I'd certainly try the lube treatment before more drastic measures...and you probably should do both grey and black tanks just to make sure...

I have not done a valve replacement myself (thankfully)...if the valve is outside the belly pan on your model that would make it easier because you don't have to drop the belly pan then... others will know how difficult it really is...but this is one of those jobs that sometimes it's just better to have someone else do, if you now what I mean... I'm like you...not that plumbing knowledgable in terms of repairs...so if I did it myself I'd not be sure I was doing it correctly.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTsafari View Post
Thanks to resolution to many leaks, our plumbing system is now in order on our 1970 Safari.

The last owner put a permanent fitting in the waste drain, so a universal waste drain cap won't fit and it is just open, but with the valve closed.

Since there is no cap as of yet, we noticed a trickle of waste, (just gray water -- haven't had the guts to use the toilet yet) coming out of our waste drain whenever we turn the water on. When we open the valve, all drains just fine.

Is this trickle normal, even with the valve closed? Seems like it would gradually collect behind a cap and then be a yucky mess when you remove the cap to hook up the drain valve. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you need a new cap, unless the collector itself is leaking.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sounds like you need a new cap, unless the collector itself is leaking.

Andy
What kind of cap would you suggest? Attached is a picture of the fitting that somebody installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Funky drain.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	65426  
Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
What kind of cap would you suggest? Attached is a picture of the fitting that somebody installed.
Your photo shows a kmart modification to the original drain setup.

I will post a photo, tomorrow, when I'm at the office, what it should be.

Almost universally, to enjoy an Airstream, for all it's worth, you have to keep it that way.

When someone modifys it, perhaps out of convenience, or to save a few bucks, then the person that is new to Airstreaming, says "HUH".

If someone did that, then there is a loooooong list of other things to check as well.

Andy
Old 08-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Thanks, Andy.
I would appreciate the photo. And you're right -- we've found a few other "Kmart modifications" that we have had to correct as well.

But, on a brighter side, we purchased her in the summer of '06, and now that she's road-worthy, with systems somewhat running, our family has finally been able to enjoy actually taking her on short trips this summer (08). In other words, we're a heck of a lot better off than we were two years ago!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks, Andy.
I would appreciate the photo. And you're right -- we've found a few other "Kmart modifications" that we have had to correct as well.

But, on a brighter side, we purchased her in the summer of '06, and now that she's road-worthy, with systems somewhat running, our family has finally been able to enjoy actually taking her on short trips this summer (08). In other words, we're a heck of a lot better off than we were two years ago!

As promised, here's the photo, which is our replacement for the original collector, used from 1964 to 1973.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17200.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	65493  
Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Thanks Andy.
Looks like we do need this to replace our modified version. I'm still concerned about the trickle which still sounds like the valve needs replacement.

Is the drain collector a difficult component to install?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy.
Looks like we do need this to replace our modified version. I'm still concerned about the trickle which still sounds like the valve needs replacement.

Is the drain collector a difficult component to install?
The photo does not show the 2" to 1 1/2" adapter for the gray water line.

There are 5 things you should do.

1. Replace the valve.
2. install the collector.
3. Hook up the gray water drain pipe to the collector.
4. Install a new cap.
5. Have a beer.

No, none of the above is difficult, unless your out of beer.

Andy
Old 11-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
I thought that this year would not have a grey tank and the grey water normally flows freely out the waste outlet. Am I incorrect?

"Travelstar Galactica"

WBCCI #13317
AIR #25664
Member of the Four Corners Unit

The only true failure is the failure to try.
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfiredog300 View Post
I thought that this year would not have a grey tank and the grey water normally flows freely out the waste outlet. Am I incorrect?
In the 1971 models, the gray water freely flows out of the collector, provided that the cap is off.

If the cap is on, then the gray water will back up into the tub.

If you leave the cap on, and open the black water valve, some of the gray water will go into that tank, BUT, some of the black water will back up into the gray lines and the tub.

That's a mess you never want to get into.

Andy
Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
Thats what I thought, so MTSafari should have been told that the grey water trickle is actually normal for him.

"Travelstar Galactica"

WBCCI #13317
AIR #25664
Member of the Four Corners Unit

The only true failure is the failure to try.
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
My 71 also leaks past the Thetford valve. I have several questions posted on the adjacent thread, but want to ask here about the lubricant. Since it is leaking, I guess I would have to run the toilet long enough to get several gallons of water in the tank, then dump a large quantity of lube in and rock the trailer a little bit to get it to disburse then hope it does some good before the water drains out past the worn out seal.

Is this how it is normally used? What is the success rate on 1st try? Do you let it set after the tank runs empty, then do it again a day or two later to give it time to react with the rubber seal?

Also, since the gray water does not have a tank and is designed to run out continuously, does that create a problem in places such as a Walmart parking lot for overnight parking to have water running out?
rhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I also had a slow leak and purchased a kit to rebuilt the valve. I first followed the advice of an earlier thread and cleaned the valve seal. I used a coat hanger with a short 90 degree bend and carefully used it to clean the recess of the seal where the knife blade of the valve seats. I found there were debris in the seal that prevented the knife blade from fully seating in the seal. Since cleaning the seal I haven't had any leakage.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
How did you get the end of the coat hanger to the valve without taking the valve apart? Did you remove the 3" pvc Y that goes into the valve then clean it from the outside? I was thinking that the black pvc would be glued to that valve but maybe not.
rhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I didn't take anything apart. At the end of your pipe you have a valve you pull to empty your blackwater tank. Your model year does not have a factory gray water tank. The valve is a plate that slides between two seals. I learned to dump my tank then flush additional liquid through the blackwater tank with the valve open. If I don't, it is easy to have something hang on the valve seals. The debris is then driven into the seat of the gasket seal when you close the dump valve. It is the debris in the seal seat I cleaned with a bent coat hanger. I got paper our of the valve seat that prevented the valve plate from fully seating and caused a drip leak. If you decide to try this, make sure the end of the coat hanger is free of sharp edges. You don't want to tear the seal.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have wondered why every time I take the cap off the exterior drain, a little water drips out, maybe a tablespoon or at most two, worth. I have told myself a little water remains in the pipe after draining one or both tanks, grey always last, and it collects at the bottom of the pipe over time and dribbles out when I remove the cap. This on a 2008 Safari.

Am I delusional (perhaps the wrong question since I could be delusional anyway)? A better question, is this normal? Or, since the water looks more like soapy water than brown water, does it mean the seal on the grey water tank is not ok?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto on the above comments. MTSafaris drip does not sound like it has anything to do with the dump valve.