Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Waste center conversion of DC generator compartment

Hey folks,

Just starting a thread to share details and photos of my planned conversion of my old compartment for the DC generator that was available in the 70s to a fancy waste center where a macerator hose will be stored and controls will be available to open and close new electric dump valves.

The compartment has been little used so the plan is to clean it up and line it with FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) material. I'll caulk the corners to keep water and smells contained and out of the interior.

Here's the compartment as it stands... And I am just assuming that this is what was once the DC generator. It is 12d x 15h x 14w (I think that is right, from memory).

Click image for larger version

Name:	air1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	194599

Name:	air2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	194600

I just found this motorized hose reel and I just can't see how I can pass up buying it. It fits well... The reel is 11.5 inches deep which is a bit tight for the 12 inch depth of the compartment, but it should work if I stow the handle at the top or bottom front of the reel. If I had more depth, the mechanism is setup to feed through a little hole to keep the install really clean and professional looking.

Name:	air3.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	194601

Name:	air4.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	194602

RV Black/Gray Water Hose | Technology Research Corporation

The hose on that reel is only 3/4 inch but that should be fine. The pump would work less if it were an inch. The hose free wheels when you pull it out and a motor reels it back in.

There is plenty of room to the side for the controls -- switches will be there for the grey water valve, black water valve, macerator pump and then the motorized reel. I will likely have a diversion valve and garden hose spigot there as well so I can use a very long hose to dump far away as an alternative to the hose on the reel. I have purchased a 100 foot 3/4 inch hose for that purpose and it will live in a tub under the bed. The main drawback to the reeled hose is that I don't think I will want to try to remove it to add to the long hose when it is in use. I may need a separate fitting or hose for that purpose.

Since I have a center bath, my dump valves are conveniently located just below this compartment. I want to preserve my existing 3 inch stinky slinky outlet while also installing a macerator to feed the reel in the compartment. So I can use either outlet.

The photo below shows how I think that I will have enough room to insert a branch to the macerator pump at the end of my dump valve plumbing if I replace a long sweep sanitary tee off my black valve with a shorter radius tee. I will install a blade valve just after this and before the bayonet hook up for the stinky slinky so that will divert to the macerator system when closed.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	194597

I am converting to valterra valves and bayonet as part of the project. The electric actuators will just bolt up to standard valterra valves and are also available for thetford. I looked at the electric valves made by valterra and also flexible cable actuated manual valves but the system from barker I chose is the most compact and should present fewer issues in installation.

Name:	air6.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	194603

I am still trying to decide where I want to install the jabsco macerator pump. My documentation says it will prime up to 4ft dry or 5ft wet. I am assuming that is referring to lift on the intake side of the pump. It seems like my currently preferred alternative is to put the pump inside the closet shared by this compartment. The lift should be less than a foot and the pipe or tube run should be less than 2 or 3 feet total.

I have thought about trying to install the pump within the belly pan but I kind of want it to be accessible in case it clogs or needs to be turned by hand if it cruds up. The main issue with the lift is that it may be hard to get the last little bit out of the tanks because when air starts coming through the lift action will stop. I may try to angle the branch off the end of the regular dump valve downwards slightly to make it more effective for the last little dribbles. I hope this will work.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Here is a link to another thread where I have been posting about the macerator install - deciding on a mounting location and figuring out how important the pump level is. I am going to try to create a P trap type setup in the line to the pump off the end of the main dump pipe.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ted-89999.html
WBCCI #1711
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Got the macerator installed as described in the thread posted above. Well, up to the compartment temporarily so far and waiting for the hose reel to arrive Monday. Electric dump valves are also installed in the belly pan and have been tested.

I am cleaning up the compartment and am preparing to line it with fiber reinforced plastic... Then I kind of want to wait for the hose reel before deciding on final mounting, plumbing and wiring.

Name:	image-3425075766.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	195534
WBCCI #1711
Old 09-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Finally getting around to gluing the FRP to the inside of the compartment.

Name:	image-1661932788.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	556.8 KB
ID:	195981
WBCCI #1711
Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Got the panels set and caulked! Should make for easy cleaning. Still need to replace the rusted for hinge with stainless steel. Next up is mounting the reel and the switches for the two valves, reel and pump. Unfortunately the switches are probably not going to match each other unless I remove them from the boxes they came in and mount them all to a combined switch plate/box.

Name:	image-3279754827.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	196004
WBCCI #1711
Old 09-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Mock up of the mounting for the reel. There isn't much extra room in the compartment. I decided to mount the reel on top if some 2 inch aluminum C channel so it is up towards the top of the compartment as possible. I think it will also make it easier to bolt in as the motor on the right side blocks access to the rear right mounting hole.

With the channel, I think I'll mount it to the reel before putting it in, at least on that side. On the lower part of the channel I might cut some slots so I can slide it in sideways over bolts in the floor of the compartment so I'll just need to tighten it down after that.

I'll probably mount the reel centered in the compartment on the hose section. That will leave a little extra space on the left side in case I want to stash some wet wipes or something else.

Name:	image-2882343071.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	196024
WBCCI #1711
Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas

Name:	image-1816763257.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	197036

Name:	image-2062927577.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	197037

I decided to rewire all the switches into a central control panel. Top is master power, then macerator, then the two side by side are the waste tank valves with lights that flash when open. Below that is the switch for the hose reel.
WBCCI #1711