Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 03:37 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
We have also been using the GEO method with minimal bleach, but I really like the idea of the Walex Deodorizer and the Camco TST drop ins. One of our friends has started having issues with her sensor on the black tank, but now I am thinking her sensors may be on the outside as another reader mentioned.
Thanks!!
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Allentown , Pennsylvania
How often should I clean my black water tank if we only go number 1 in it?
The Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
IMO & what I do:
Rinse every time you have the opportunity when you dump the black tank. However, I do not rinse every time while traveling, because I am dumping every 4th or 5th day (gray tank usually dictates this). I do rinse the black tank at the end of every trip. I empty the black and gray tank before putting the trailer in storage, leaving tanks dry if winterizing (maybe a little antifreeze left in the valves)

Add soap, water softener, (or your chemical of choice) and a few gallons of water (an inch or so in the tank, enough to create splashing while traveling). Do this when leaving storage, and again every time you dump the black tank while you are going to continue using. The splashing of this liquid and its cleaning effect is the self cleaning method of the tank sensors. Rinsing is the final step of cleaning.

About every six months (end of season or any time there is excessive odor) dump and rinse the black tank thoroughly, fill the tank with water and bleach to sanitize, using the same mix as for sanitizing the fresh water tank (see owner's manual). Let that set for a few hours then dump and rinse again. Then go back to normal schedule of dumping when full.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Preventavtive Maintenance

Try Happy Campers ; https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers...s%2C226&sr=8-3

I have used this product for the past 4 years and have had 100% success with no odor and my sensors always work .

The trick is to leave your tanks till near full, then the enzymes will work to break down the waste and keep your tank clean .

Try using this after you get your tanks cleaned up ( Black and Grey).
Old 06-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
I hate acronyms! What is TSP?
SafariSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
TSP is trisodium phosphate. Common cleaning powder used in the trades.

We were advised by our Airstream Tech at our warranty visit that they recommend pouring a gallon of household white vinegar into the toilet (for the black tank) to clear any gunk that may be affecting the sensors in the tank.
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
A W Warn you brought up a good point,leaving tanks dry if winterizing (maybe a little antifreeze left in the valves). I did not put any antifreeze in my waste tanks last fall, never thought of it. I hope I’m ok. I’ll know in a week or so.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSarah View Post
I hate acronyms! What is TSP?
Tri-Sodium Phosphate. It is used to clean walls before painting them. Find it at Lowe's and Home Depot in the paint department. Phosphate used to be one of the ingredients in laundry detergents before being banned in some states.
Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #29

2018 27' Globetrotter
paris , Tennessee
How about one of the laser pistols that read distance in inches?
Open the toilet and ALWAYS hold it in the same place above the
toilet. Note empty and full measurement and "try to remember
the level in September" (when swallows fly back to ol' San Christo:-)
I've heard sensors are fun and have lots of solutions. Four Airstream
owners, five solutions. This one doesn't rust, rot, or cause lumbago!
joe snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #30
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Adding bleach to a clothes washer, along with laundry soap and Borax, is done safely in the enclosed living space of homes. I think it is even safer to add laundry bleach in small quantities (following manufacturer's instructions for quantity based on water volume) to a RV waste tank, since the tank is vented to the exterior. A washing machine tub has no vent to the exterior.
Yes, but consider that bleach is designed to be used with common laundry products. Other household cleaners, including some toilet and drain cleaners, may react with the bleach. Call me paranoid, but I’d rather not mess around with bleach in my holding tanks. And let’s not forget the environmental and septic issues this may cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
It's been more than 15 years since I purchased RV toilet paper. I use septic tank safe toilet paper instead, mainly because it is more comfortable on skin and cost less.
There have been a few non-scientific tests that seem to indicate that some RV toilet paper does not dissolve as well as the type intended for normal residential use. This video is one example that convinced me to change
Very interesting video. While the testing wasn’t exactly scientific in nature (after all, a black tank holds a lot more than just water), it does suggest that RV-designated toilet paper may not necessarily be better than conventional stuff. Perhaps using any toilet paper labeled “safe for septic systems” would be good enough?
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Using TSP to clean holding tanks

Put two sheets of toilet paper in a quart glass jar half full of water. Turn it over a couple times, let sit for 30 minutes. If it disintegrated it’s good yo go. If it stays stubbornly intact it’s not good stuff for an RV tank.

We use Charmin Ultra Soft by decree of SWMBO, and it just happens to pass the test last time I tried it. So we use that. DW happy, peace in the family.

Besides, our SewerSolution can pump and macerate darn near any brand of toilet paper while dumping. Without jamming up. No moving parts. All good.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The only thing that does not seem to have been mentioned so far is the bag of ice.

Assuming you have "let things go", there is likely a few places in the tank that have ... errr ... piles of stuff. Getting rid of them by normal means may not be very easy. There *is* an answer ....

After you dump your black tank, go to the camp store and buy a couple bags of ice. Flush them down the toilet. Drive on down the road / around the campground. The ice will melt and slosh around in the tank. It will knock "stuff" loose. Pull over a while later (half hour / hour ) and dump the tank.

There are variations on the process. Some add water with the ice. Some only do a lap around the campground. Others dump when they get to the end of the day. I'd add in running the tank flush gizmo for a while (like a half hour) if you are at a campground with hookups when things are finished.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #33
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The only thing that does not seem to have been mentioned so far is the bag of ice.
Bob
Ahh... the old "bag o'ice" trick... that's a topic that's been covered on the forums (as this issue), in many variations over the years...

Here's a video of that very topic explaining the procedure...

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Long Beach , California
I have had great luck with this product which I learned about at the International Rally in Salem.

https://tanktechsrx.com/

No rinsing tanks or clogged sensors, no smells, no chemicals.

2016 International Signature 28
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab Z71

WBCCI #21506

airwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Trisodium phosphate

Oops, hate phone app. Thought no one had responded

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Trisodium phosphate

Oops, hate phone app. Thought no one had responded
How about using something proven over time, like rid x rv? And yes, dont be "anal" about dumping all the time. Fuller tanks with digestive bacteria and enzymes combined with liquid will naturally clean anything they com in contact with. Dont dump until your next non-full hook spot will be longer than remaining tank capacity.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote