Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

tote tank ideas

Most of us with older airstreams do not have the joy of a gray water tank, so when we camp in areas without a sewer connection, we get to use the tote-tank.
I am sure many of you have some innovative ways concerning where you store your tank while traveling, and I'm sure we could all benefit from your ideas.
So, please share where or how you store your tank.
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
We are lucky enough that ours will stow in the side storage compartment, barely. Takes some innovative organizing of chock blocks and jacks etc.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I use a 10 gal. Tote Tank. It's easy to carry and lift (about 85#) into my P/U every morning to take dump station.

When we are traveling, it is set vertically upright against the front of my P/U bed. I have a truck cap and I use a black rubber Bunji Cord to hold the Tote against the front rim of the bed. I also have water Jerry Cans that I rest up against the front of the bed, next to the Tote. I secure it all with a ratcheting extention rod braced across the bed.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
We use a 25 gallon tricycle type blue tank. It allows us to empty our 18 gallon black tank with some of the gray water. This is normally every 4-5 days. It pulls easily behind the truck. For storage it goes in the back of my F250.

The only problem we have encountered is that some sites lack the clearance for the tank and it can be difficult to dump into the blue tank.

-------------------
F250 CC Powerstroke, Century camper shell, 30' 2005 Safari LS Bunkhouse, 3000 EU Honda Generator
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Unhappy Pit Fall

I had a little run in last year with a blue tank. Our grey tank on the Minuet is only 7 gals. so I thought I would use a 22 gal. blue tank. One thing to remember is make sure the vent is open.
It's kind of interesting to find your blue tank looking like and over stuffed tamale because the air has no where to go.
It isn't so funny to have the grey water back up into the shower with $4K of guitars sitting in 3 inches of yucky water.
Remeber [OPEN THAT VENT!]
That is my advice on the matter.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
It isn't so funny to have the grey water back up into the shower with $4K of guitars sitting in 3 inches of yucky water.
Thanks for the advice. We purchased the 22 gallon tank on Friday and tried it out over the weekend. Since we have no grey tank, it came in real handy on the trip. Everything worked just fine. We did make sure to allow for ventilation, though.

I appreciate your input about where to carry the tank. While it is pretty big, it is very easy to use. We do have to store it inside the airstream while traveling, though. I am hoping that this won't be an issue (smell).
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Your blue boy shouldn't get smelly, unless you store it full. We keep ours inside the trailer, cap off and empty--as did the POs--no problems. Once we did have to bring it along to get to a place to empty it--but there wasn't much in there. I also rinse it each year with a Clorox solution just to keep it nice.

Now we have a leak at our inlet valve...and the trailer looks like it's down for a few weeks. So, our last trip we didn't use the water system-and it really hasn't been bad at all!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #8
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I store mine in the tub. It fits perfectly and the tub catches any leaks that may occur. I haven't been storing it with the lid off though. I guess I'll clean it real good in preparation for this weekend.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
The way I got around lack of clearance (our '55 seems to be really low) is to run a washing machine hose (short length of garden hose) with two of the sewer hose caps (one on the drain outlet, one on the blue lagoon) that have the hose fittings on them. i also put a 45 degree hose adapter on the tank to help. Even if the hose droops a little the weight of the water column will push it thru. Just have to be slow in draining the sink sometimes. we use it for grey water only.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We also forgot to remove the vent cap and ended up with a shower full of water last year. Only ruined the bathmat though! It was messy enough I don't think I'll forget to check that again for a while.

We use a short length of garden hose and it works pretty good. We've never used the blue tote to empty the black tank.

When travelling the blue boy rides in the back of the van. We have a rubber mat in the rear and store all the hitching equipment there in a box behind the seats, along with the tote and the table and chairs if we take them along. It's nice to have a full size van sometimes!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have a 10 gallon grey water tank in our trailer, and I got a 10 gallon blue tank to double our grey water capacity. It is small enough it sits flat in the shower (empty) when driving, and it came with a small (18") length of white garden hose to hook into the garden hose outlet on the grey tank cap.
I fill the grey tank in the trailer, then empty it into the blue tank, and wheel it to the dump station.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #12

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
Can anyone considered attaching the tote tank to the rv front using (it is not a sponsored comment) Rhino Bumper mount bars and straps? I am considering doing so but I wanted to hear if someone have done it. I understand that extra length bolts will have to be used due to the frame width. Please reply with your comments or experiences.