Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Toilet or Not? 67 Ambassador Remodel

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some opinions here on if I should leave the black and grey water tanks and keep the toilet system in the original area. The interior is gutted and the sub-floor needs replaced in that area regardless, so that is why I'm at that cross road. It would be easy to do now before I get too involved. IMHO I do not like sleeping near a toilet that is in close proximity. Plus the upkeep and maintenance is troublesome. There are many alternatives when it comes to "doing your business" and that is why I'm not a on board toilet advocate. I do not know much about the systems either. BUT I am in a market of selling not keeping so that is what this thread is all about. Guidance and opinions, if anyone has any advice or opinions on what road I should go down please respond. Thanks!
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You say that the trailer will be for sale. Personally I would not even consider a travel trailer without a toilet. If you are not going to keep the trailer keep it as originally laid out. Otherwise I think you will be seriously turning many potential customers off.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Gray tank in a 67? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Gray tank in a 67? Jim
Sorry I may be wrong about that, like I said I am not real familiar with these systems. I have only dealt with fresh water installs.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Even if you don't want a toilet, the next owners may. You can remove the toilet and plug the drain and leave the black tank installed. Still there if anyone changes their mind. Up keep and maintenance are pretty much as with your house. Of course it needs to be drained, a minor thing to experience campers. I'd be looking to install a small gray tank. Jim
Old 05-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Even if you don't want a toilet, the next owners may. You can remove the toilet and plug the drain and leave the black tank installed. Still there if anyone changes their mind. Up keep and maintenance are pretty much as with your house. Of course it needs to be drained, a minor thing to experience campers. I'd be looking to install a small gray tank. Jim
So the grey tank is for just used water right? Rather than just discharging it onto the ground?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
toilet or no

I'm redesigning a 2003 CCD internation and I've removed the toilet and will install a Natures Head Composting toilet. The black water tank will be used for additional grey water storage. I will keep the shower.
jasfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You could never convince me, nor a majority of people buying a used RV that one without a toilet is acceptable. You may not want one, but about 90+ % of others do.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
So I'm starting to understand the majority wants the commodity. What are some alternative toilets? Or should I stick with a black tank and just upgrade it to working condition, because I don't think the plumbing is salvageable...
Old 05-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasfox View Post
I'm redesigning a 2003 CCD internation and I've removed the toilet and will install a Natures Head Composting toilet. The black water tank will be used for additional grey water storage. I will keep the shower.
What are the Pros and Cons of a composting toilet? I'm not familiar with any toilet system in an RV. I'm only use to a standard home toilet. I guess I've got a lot of homework to do...
Old 05-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Gray water cannot be discharged onto the ground in most states legally. Used to was, but not now. Jim
Old 05-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Composting toilets and portopottys are an alternative to a real toilet. Pottos are generally used in trailers that either never had a toilet or had one removed. Much more of a hassel than a real toilet. Composters are a fad thing in my opinion. The waste still has to be disposed of sanitarily. Jim
Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
From what I know about composting toilets (no personal experience, for a reason), that choice would never be on my options list. I'm in agreement with those who say a toilet is a must and that means also having an easily emptied holding tank. My own experience with vintage says *separate* black and grey tanks, and a separate dump valves for each, are the best (IMO, the only acceptable) way to go, whether you keep this trailer or sell it. When I first acquired my still-very-often-used '56, it had no installed black nor grey tanks; the PO used a portable "camping potty" that has a built-in tank at bottom, and these are still widely available, and ~could~ be a solution for you (but, I'm willing to bet you won't like the frequent carrying/emptying duties involved with their very high yuck factors). Who knows what the original owner did with the original toilet system (I'm not even sure that mid-50s ASs' toilets even had a black holding tank under them???) I installed one tank at first, for both black and grey, but quickly determined that it is far better to have 2 tanks for maximum flexibility when on the road and/or in campgrounds with their highly variable sewage infrastructures, oftentimes none at all in the less developed sites, state parks, and the like. Anyway, for any DIY'er, installing black and gray tanks and all the associated plumbing/venting is not at all difficult and not expensive either. Good luck with the project, whatever you decide!
rsjmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
A trailer is no use to me with no toilet. I would install both gray and black water tanks and a nice new toilet. I do not think sleeping next to a compost toilet or a incinerator toilet would be an improvement over sleeping next to a regular toilet. There is really little upkeep on a standard RV toilet. More so, I would think, on the alternatives
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I too would NOT buy a travel trailer if it did not have a toilet.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

This guy is trying to flip the trailer.

I don't see him making much money. Might be a fun hobby though.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Source of information?

Quote:
Gray water cannot be discharged onto the ground in most states legally. Used to was, but not now. Jim
This statement has some serious info stated as fact that is more likely an opinion.
After an hour on Google, I found no evidence to substantiate it.
Many opinions but no facts to back it.
Yes, I have practiced it myself in certain circumstances but others didn't know it.
Environmental concerns unproven since experts take both sides.
Just sayin.....
Oh ans add me to the list of NEVER considering a trailer that had no toilet or contained one requiring specialty maintenance.
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Please do more research and you will find I am correct. Whether it is environmentally okay is irrelevant. It is against the law inmost state, at least east of the Rockies. Jim
Old 05-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Gray water cannot be discharged onto the ground in most states legally. Used to was, but not now. Jim"

More likely fact.

Plus many campgrounds have specific rules against dumping gray water. As do most forest service and national park campgrounds.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I don't see him making much money. Might be a fun hobby though.
That's is the motivation I need. Haters. I love to prove people like you wrong. That was quite a remark on such small facts. Consider this, I also own a 64' Globetrotter and I've completely remodeled it WITHOUT a toilet. I beat people away with a stick over offers far more than what I have in it. I cannot bring myself to sell my first one I've ever poured my heart into.