Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
This may be a dumb question

This may be a dumb question, but what all do you have to do to dump the black and grey water tanks?
chuman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Hope this helps you:

how to use RV Holding Tanks

http://www.phasefourindustries.com/a..._HOLDING_TANKS
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
chuman70,

Sure hope you are asking this question before it becomes a necessity.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Two things...don't pull those levers untill after you hook up the hose~!!
btw, the second thing..? you don't have to worry abt if you get the first thing right...
NOT A DUMB Question~! except if you don't ask..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Be sure to....

Chuman70

Welcome to ASForums!!!

Good question!!! Seriously, there are NO dumb questions.... here, or anywhere.

If this is a 'new to you' new AS, then be sure to do a couple of things that will help you immesurably. When you get the trailer, get a thorough walk thru from the PO - or as best they can do. Then ASAP find a 7-11 (or similar) and buy at least 10 lbs of ice cubes (20 is better) and then dump them into the BT via the toilet.... Then go for a scenic drive, or haul her home. Let that ice slide around and scour the BT and any/ all leftovers that are still there.... When you get home the tank will be clean and have something worth dumping.....

Then follow the dump instructions (use a CG for this - you'll see why in a minute) you have gotten above. After the 1st dump, find a way (Flush King is GREAT!!!!!! about $35 or so at CW) to re-fill the tank with water. Dump again. Be sure that the water coming out is as clean as it was going in..... If it isn't - re-fill, repeat the dump, etc.... til it is CLEAN water coming out via the hose.... This is the beauty of the CG, all the water and dump facilities right there!

Doing this will make ALL other aspects of your new trailer all the better. BT clean is imperative! Believe me on this one!

All the best! and keep posting all your questions.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
To learn how NOT to do it, rent the movie RV with Robin Williams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	40591  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
That's no fun!

Now you have ruined it! I was hoping you would tell him to rent it and follow it exactly.

Seriously, No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
The ice cubes is good for cleanign the tank and a flush king is good for making sure it is clean. Hope you don't mind looking at your own poo. Have to, to see if the tank is properly rinsed.
Flush black first then grey. The grey will "rinse" out the sewer hose.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Flush black first then grey. The grey will "rinse" out the sewer hose.
What if you don't have a grey tank?

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman

Neil.
Then just dump the black .

I have a grey tank, but do this anyway to ensure everything is gone from the black tank after I dump it.

I fill a 6 gallon water jug at the dump station and take it into the bath room. After the tank has drained I have my wife close the valve and I start to dump fresh water down the toilet. When the jug is half empty (or is it half full) I tell her to pull the valve and I continue to pour untill the jug is empty. I then do a visual check to make sure nothing has been left behind. This should clean out the hose as well.

After I finish with the black, I drain the grey, close the valve, disconnect the line, install the drain cap and rinse the line out with a hose. I stow the hose and remove my disposable gloves.

Not my favorite part of the trip, but it sure beats all the years we camped in a popup with out any bathroom.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Thanks for all the info guys! This is a "new to me" trailer and I just wanted to be sure I had all the bases covered before I head out in it. The PO did a basic walk-through with me, but the trailer had been winterized so we did not cover any of the dumping issues. Seems pretty straightforward. I have not put anything other than clear water in either of my holding tanks as of yet since we have it parked in my drive way and I did not need any surprises if there was a leak. No leaks so far! Next time we move it, I will try the ice in the tank thing and fill the tanks and dump before we use it.
Thanks again all!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:

Neil.
MAKE some grey water!

I do what azflycaster said...except, I have no grey tank...so I fill the kitchen sink w/ hot soapy water. I figure that the energy used to heat that water is just gonna get wasted, anyway...might as well use it to clean out my slinky.

so after I'm done w/ the black, and the bucket-fresh water rinse, I let go of the kitchen sink. then a thorough hose rinsing, and we're done.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Consider....

Chuman -

Glad to hear that the unit seems to have had an attentive PO.... Can only bode well....

Still.

Consider, seriously! Getting that FlushKing, or similar. FK allows a hose (non-drinking) to be connected to refill the BT thru the fitting that also does the dumping as well.... has a section of clear tubing that allows you to "SEE', and have 'clarity' of all things in - AND OUT!!!! KEEP flushing (repeat! as needed) until it is all CLEAR!!! Seriously. Then +1, in my experience....

This is the KEY! it is CLEAR!, In and OUT.

My PO was extremely thoughtfull and really ran a well organized unit.... and still I found BT 'items' that shouldn't have been there with a COMPLETELY clean unit....

Again, not to be too "anal", but well, there is NO such thing as TOO careful when it comes to a clean BT....!

FlushKing is a terrific way to solve a issues related to BT flushing (repeat, with results!) - use the "Ice Cubes" as an additional 'curative' and all things BT and related will go WAY DOWN your list of things to do and consider.... not to mention, it'll smell better too.

Sorry if I seem to be harping on this one issue, but it really can be the difference between a unit you LOVE and one that you tolerate or hate.... That would be a waste of a perfectly good AirStream, in my opinion.

Get a FlushKing (or equivalent) and be done with this issue.

Be sure to ask any and all quesions - we'll be glad to help!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Is the Camco Dual Flush Pro as good as the Flush King?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Couldn't 'xactly say!

Chuman -

Couldn't 'xactly say - "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?"

No info on the other choice you mentioned, but I CAN vouch for the Flush King... check out their Web Site... you can get them at Camping World and perhaps your local RV favorite store..... Easy, works as advertised. All good in my book.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Good question. They function simularly. Buy one and let us know!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
I just noticed that it was considerably cheaper. I'm always afraid of the old adage "you get what you pay for", however. I guess we'll see.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
This is the KEY! it is CLEAR!, In and OUT.
y
Okay, Okay. But why CLEAR? Other than gook-free sensors, what do you gain by getting your black tank CLEAR? We do not get that rigid about the black tanks condition and have never had an odor problem or other tank problem. We do run a couple of toilet bowl fills down the drain to the BT (with some formadehyde-free chemical), after dumping. Does it just make you feel better about the blank tank and it's former contents? Just because the water is clear, it is not germ-free.

I can see the sense in the 20 lb bag of ice cubes method, occasionally to scrub off those sensors, but why CLEAR every time?
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:

Neil.
We fill the tub...just to be sure & get the hose "squeaky clean" when we are through.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #19

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Not always. Sometimes one maybe better than the other sometimes just more expensive just because it is the name to own.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Don't forget the chems. Most, if not all, campgrounds have gone to banning the formaldehyde based chemicals these days. We have tried the orange granules and the "green" natural granules. I like the orange ones better because the green ones smell like pine oil and I prefer the orange smell of the orange ones...yes, I can smell them both when the flush door opens.

I get them in the pre-measured pouches and put one in every day and dump the tank about every third day. After the final dump, I flush with our built-in tank flusher. I run it about 2 minutes with the valve closed and open to empty and then repeat twice. I close the valve a final time to put about 3-4 gallons of water in the black tank and add one of the orange pouches through the toilet and disconnect everything for the ride home. At home I put one of the pouches in the black tank every week between trips. So far this seems to keep the odors down and all the waste products "digested" by the enzymes in the orange pouches.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote