Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
Talking The right person does make a difference

I called Thetford the other day and asked if they had the shafts for my valves (01447), and I was told no. So not to be discouraged I recalled today, and not only did Shiela get me the right part numbers and let me know they were available, she faxed me a copy of my valve blow-up (how cool is that). I was able to determine we were indeed talking about the same parts and I ordered them today for a grand total of $22.89 with shipping.

I am stoked that Shiela (the right person) at Thetford was willing to go out of her way to make sure I got what I needed, and I thought she deserved some praise here on the forums. So, If you talk to her please tell her the Doug sent you to her, and that she was awesome.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Thumbs down Don't believe it until you have exhausted all sources!

I wanted to add to my previous post, but felt this deserved it's own section. Check around and then recheck because most parts are Vastly available. Don't trust the first thing you hear. No one dealer has exclusive rights to Thetford's products. Just do your research and keep trying till you get the right person. I found that Thetford makes replacement valves for my 1974 Argosy. You still have to cut the old ones out, but they are like original and will last longer. Also, they are more Expensive, but worth it. I actually discovered this fact through my local RV dealer (shameless plug New England RV's (413) 772-2400). If you develop a relationship with them they will negotiate pricing on a lot of items (end of shameless plug).

Remember this one fact, If you have done all your research and you still come up empty handed, Ask Lou he has a way of finding things (I do too, but I am still his understudy).

You can reach Thetford (800)521-3032 and weed your way through all the options. It will sound like you are in the wrong place, but just get to a representative and they should be able to assist you (remember the right person does matter).

I have found many people on this forum to be helpful in finding things I had been told were only available at one source, In fact I found that there were several sources. Please keep checking and don't settle for the first answer you get no matter how good it seems.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I have a horrible dump valve story that I could tell.
Too bad it is too much to post on here...
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Lou, shall we just use our imaginations? I think we all dread the same thing!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Lou, shall we just use our imaginations? I think we all dread the same thing!
I am certain that if I posted what happened it would be deleted.
It was not a very good experience and it turned me into the frugal researcher that I am today. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Angry dump valve

If (or when since I'm keeping Tin Lizzie 'til I die) my dump valve ever goes bad, the first thing I'm going to do is hook up with someone who has a mascerator pump and pump my black tank as dry as possible by inserting a hose down the toilet trap. After that, about 2 cups of clorox down the trap and wait 24 hours, then get a LARGE shallow plastic box and place under valves, place a fan to blow the odors AWAY, then disassemble. Remain in a position where a speedy retreat is possible.

Oh, and plastic gloves up to the elbow. And wear cloths I can throw away afterwards.

That about cover it?

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
We clean, just don't do anything stupid like eat before you wash.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

i had a clog in my winnebago severeal years ago,so i decided to use one of those expanding drain cleaners you attach to the hose...........bad idea. i shut the water offf and it shot s*** all over the inside of the trailer and up the sinks...........what a mess.
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Censorship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I am certain that if I posted what happened it would be deleted.
It was not a very good experience and it turned me into the frugal researcher that I am today. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all!
If you have an experience that would help others, you should be allowed to voice that experience without fear of retaliation, or deletion. Why can one be allowed to screw people (while violating the forum rules about advertising), and the screwed cannot let people know about their experience? It has been my experience that people will do what they want whether or not you had a bad/good experience, but there are those of us who would like to know so we can "be careful" in our decisions with them.

Perhaps a non slanderous forum should be created to allow us to say who is the "right person", and who is the "wrong person" or company as the case might be.

I realize these forums are private, but isn't freedom of speech still alive? I do disagree with an open fight on forums, but when anyone is out to fool us Airstreamer's, or Argosyites, then they should be exposed for who they are (that is unless they are funding the operation?) .
Old 08-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytwinky
If you have an experience that would help others, you should be allowed to voice that experience without fear of retaliation, or deletion.
Some things are just not fair. I have found ways to deal with this.
If anyone would like to know the "who" and the "what" please e-mail me. DO NOT PM me on the forums. My e-mail address is: loupatterson@wowway.com so you do not have to look it up on my profile.
Now, let's get back to the topic of lovely smelling dump valves!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
i had a clog in my winnebago severeal years ago,so i decided to use one of those expanding drain cleaners you attach to the hose...........bad idea. i shut the water offf and it shot s*** all over the inside of the trailer and up the sinks...........what a mess.
Did you have the dump valve opened or closed?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
This year at Springfield, a local company was hired to pump holding tanks. The owner was a member of a new startup church and in order to help the church get going volunteered his equipment for free and the labor to do the pumping was with young male members of the church.

Apparently everyone was not up to speed on the learning curve when the rally was getting started. These trucks use vacuum pumps to empty the trailer tank and then apparently reverse the pumps to empty the truck when it is full. Anyway, after returning from dumping and on the first trailer they hooked up to, apparently the pumps were set to pump out instead of pull in and you can guess the rest.

To make it worse, I think the owner was putting some water down the john to get a good cleanout. You can visualize the results.

The pumping people were so sorry for what had happened. Some of the women from the church came over immediately and cleaned the bathroom from top to bottom.

I understand the trailer owner took it better than expected.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......I guess you could say it was Holy S##t!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

my dump was open... i had a bad solid female clog...............
it just got too much /not enough pressure...the clog held so when i let off on the hose the pressure developed by the hose pressure had to go somewhere. splot/splat
Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #15
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
I have replaced the dump valves and everything works fine except now I have discovered a leak in the grey water tank when left shut. Looks like a spring job. Maybe I could coax Lou into coming over to help?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #16
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
On another note don't be surprised if you have parts left over. I did and went nuts thinking I did something wrong and found on the forums that it is possible to have parts left over.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:53 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

i will give a plug for dometic also. i had at least i thought i had a bad thermostat on a 5 year old a/c. a little talking and they sent one free.that didin't work so they then sent a new board. worked fine no charge again, great people at dometic!!