Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tank Replacement

I recently purchased a 1961 Ambasador 28'. The PO removed the Black Tank and it currently has no Black water tank. The PO had the Airstream in a trailer park for the last 25 years and there was no nead for tanks at all. As a result, the origional black water tank was removed and a new tolit was purchased that was bolted directly to the floor. Looking at the rear window, the origional tank was on the right side and was an above floor model. I have no idea if I could find a replacement tank? I have three questions for anyone that can help. 1) Does any one know of a replacement tank manufacture that will make a tank with a curved end to match the Airstream corner? 2) I am also interested in a fresh water tank too, however I do not know whare the origional one went and was wondering if anyone can give me the original location? 3) I was thinking of installing an electirc water pump. Does anyone know if this came as an option on this Airstream?

Thanks
Lookinghard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send an email to Da Man! over at InlandRV explaining what you need. He's got a bunch of black tanks in the back room that are not listed on his website.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tank Replacement

Greetings Lookinghard!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinghard
I recently purchased a 1961 Ambasador 28'. 2) I am also interested in a fresh water tank too, however I do not know whare the origional one went and was wondering if anyone can give me the original location? 3) I was thinking of installing an electirc water pump. Does anyone know if this came as an option on this Airstream?

Thanks
If my notes are correct, Airstream was still using the "pressure-type" water system in 1961. I believe that the galvanized water pressure tank would have originally been located in the front coach under the front window in the compartment below the pull-out lounge. There may have been an electric pressure pump that helped to keep the tank pressurized, but there wasn't a "demand-type" pump with the "pressure-type" system. Since it is quite expensive to replace the galvanized tanks if one can be found that fits the available space, owners often convert to a "demand-type" system. There are several manufacturers who produce the acrylic tanks and it is usually possible to find a "standard" tank that can be modified to work in the application - - maintaining the original water tank fill apparatus is often the most difficult part of the equation. I belive that you coach was produced very near to the time when the "demand-type" system was placed into production - - I know that the deamnd system was standard by the time my '64 Overlander was built.

There is a photo of a '61 Ambassador on R.J. Dial's Vintage Airstream site that shows the original water fill to the curbside of the LP tanks - - it is in the photo of the polished coach near the bottom of the page:

1961 Ambassador phoros

Good luck with your Ambassador!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Da Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Send an email to Da Man! over at InlandRV explaining what you need. He's got a bunch of black tanks in the back room that are not listed on his website.

Tom
Thanks for the advise! I gave Da Man a call at inland and found out that I needed my serial number before he could help. I have my new airstream up in the mountains at my cabin and was unable to provide the serial number so I told him I would call him back. I think he will be able to give me everything I need! Not sure without the serial number but I have a good feeling! I can't wait to get started.

Lookinghard
Lookinghard is offline   Reply With Quote