Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Andover , Kansas
Tank Pan Removal

I need to replace the waste drain fittings on both the grey and black tanks on our '83 Sovereign. The manual says to drop the tank pan, but then mentions that the 'tanks must be supported' after the pan is removed. Has anyone tried this? Will I risk damaging the drain fittings from the lav and toilet if the tanks start to fall away when/during the pan removal? Is there a safe and less risky way to do this? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks! John
Alsupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Tank Pan Removal

I have exactly the same project on my list for our 86 Classic. The tank pan has been off twice on our trailer, but both times it was done by a dealer. At least I know my bolts holding it on are not rusted tight.

I have replaced my coroded belly pan, and I had trouble removing the stablizer jack bolts, propane line bolts, and pan bolts (rear edge only). I broke several of them as they are rusted tight. Bring lots of penetrating oil.

John and I need some advice on dropping the tank pan so we can replace our leaky slide valves. We don't want to break a tank while removing the pan.

I want to replace the slide valves and replumb the tank drain system to a RV standard 3" bayonet connector instead of the old Thetford 3 1/4 bayonet connector. And I will fabricate an access panel on the pan so I can service the slide valves without the hassle of dropping the pan.

Can someone who has done this project help us out?
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Andover , Kansas
I received some great advice from Greg at Inland RV. Since I only have to replace the valves, I can 'carefully' cut away the sheet metal around the valve areas to gain access and therefore not remove the pan. Upon completion of the repair, simply fab a new sheet metal cover and fasten in place.

Mind you, I have not done this yet! Still fixing up the front end from the deer strike last fall!

I should make a posting if/when this works...
Alsupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I removed mine, as long as they are empty no issue, the black will hang on the toilet flange and vent pipe.

But I would add some support while you're working on it.

It is a bear on/off, I woul cut out as suggested above if I needed to get in there again.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote