Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Stinky....

I had been using Thetford tank chemicals. For the most part worked well, not too much stinlyness untill the tank was nearing full.

I recently changed to Odorlos thinking the switch away from the harshness and formaldehyde..... big mistake!

My tank absolutely stinks now! I can't go an entire day with out a woft of stench as I flush!

I have been running my integral tank flusher for sometimes as long as an hour.... nothing but clear water is coming out.....

I am in 90+ degree Florida heat, but does this really matter?

I worry I have goofed up the bacterial alchemy and will have a big lingering mess. I have also heard a treatment of Ridex will get me going again.

What say you on the new "green" additives.

CW tells me they cant sell enough of this brand, and that people love it! I have not had the same experience for nearly twice the cost of the blue stuff!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Is it possible your vent is clogged? It would be a good idea to check it out. Another thing that can happen is the vent pipe can drop into the tank (below the "water" line) - this also could be contributing to the problem.

Other than those two thoughts, I would say in 90+ weather, things are going to stink up quicker and more frequent dumping may be necessary. I'm assuming you are not boonboking in 90+ degree heat and have hook-ups. Before dumping a semi-full tank, fill the rest of the tank with water - then dump.

We use the "green" kind of chemicals - no problem. But we've been told that once you put the "non-green" kind in, it does kill some of the beasties that the green kind need to do their thing.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We did the same thing; also tried "The Geo Method". However, we have returned to using the Thetford blue toilet chemical that contains formaldehyde, as that's the only product that seems to control toilet odors here in Arizona's 110+ degree weather. Other chemicals may work in cool weather, but products containing formaldehyde seem to be the only ones that consistently work in the desert heat.

RVs have "storage tanks", which are dumped regularly (most of the time). So, it seems the chemical used in airline toilets is more appropriate than enzymes or other chemicals that purportedly "breakdown", "convert" or "compost" waste. To me, these products are more suited to septic tank systems, and are just marketing hype when specified for RV applications.

In my personal opinion, "neutralize" and "control" are the operative words for toilet odor.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Yup, I think the heat has a lot to do with it. I need to return to the cancer causing stuff!

I think I fell prey to the marketing hype!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A small tip that may help (and you probably know).

Turn off the vent fans when you flush as they may depressurize trailer enough to pull the air into the black vent and the odor up into the trailer when the flush valve is open.

The bacteria that makes the stink love hot weather.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
I switched to the orange stuff. I had a bottle of the green formaldehyde stuff tip over in the shelf cubby hole over the tub and the fumes were overwhelming when I was cleaning it up. Kinda of like the time I mixed tide (with bleach) with ammonia to mop a kitchen floor. Can you say chlorine gas? Me too.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Usually anything marked "green" or "safe" doesn't work
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Flushed the vent pipe and tank. Then washed out the tank with a round of Dawn. All came out clear.... went back to Thetford blue cancer causing stuff... all is good and smelling like a rose. Life is good!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I prefer the Thetford stuff too. My local WalMart quit carrying it and I tried a citrus based product. I don't like it nearly as well.

I appreciate the idea of green products, but it's not like I'm drinking anything from the black tank.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I appreciate the idea of green products, but it's not like I'm drinking anything from the black tank.
No but we do breathe it. Formaldehyde is widely used, even in new clothing. Good to limit exposure as much as possible.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No but we do breathe it. Formaldehyde is widely used, even in new clothing. Good to limit exposure as much as possible.

doug k
Absolutely true.

However, the amount used is relatively small and the volatiles exit pretty quickly through the vent. I do respect your desire to limit exposure, though. It certainly can't hurt.

It does seem, at least to me, that the Thetford stuff keeps the black tank smell down past the time that you get the "blue stuff" smell. It seems to keep the smell down better than the Camco orange stuff that the local WalMart switched to.

Having said that, I am using the Camco orange stuff. The WalMart's a SuperCenter, and I often by groceries there, so I just pick up RV stuff while I'm there instead of making a special trip to a RV dealership. After all, the local Airstream dealer is a whole couple of blocks away.

While I feel that the Thetford blue stuff works better, I don't think that it's a huge difference. The convenience of the purchase is winning out right now.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
a novel cause of "stinky"

We'd just started off for a trip...so black water tank was used minimally. The stink got worse as the day heated up. I said it was the tank. Hubby said it smelled like a dead mouse. Then I remembered, I'd put a mousetrap behind the toilet, on a piece of fish line so the dogs couldn't get the peanut butter and I could still retrieve the trap. Yup! Trap had a super-stinky mouse. Next time I'll check the trap the next day after I set it. Stink is now "manageable". I think we need to check the vent. Blue stuff...ok
zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Do you need a fishing license for that catch?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
We'd just started off for a trip...so black water tank was used minimally. The stink got worse as the day heated up. I said it was the tank. Hubby said it smelled like a dead mouse. Then I remembered, I'd put a mousetrap behind the toilet, on a piece of fish line so the dogs couldn't get the peanut butter and I could still retrieve the trap. Yup! Trap had a super-stinky mouse. Next time I'll check the trap the next day after I set it. Stink is now "manageable". I think we need to check the vent. Blue stuff...ok
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #14

Crawfordville , Florida
Tornados, Florida Heat, and Stinky tanks

A month ago we moved into our Airstream when a tornado took out the roof of our house. For the first 2 weeks it was fine; we emptied the black tank and had no issues. Now during the second two weeks, we are having odor problems. We are new owners, having only used the trailer one weekend before having to move in! What is the most likely cause? I use the recommended deodorizer pods. We are running the a/c 24/7 and yes, it's 90+ degrees every day. Should we empty the tank every week even if it's not full? We are also still using the plumbing in the house for major things, so the holding tank is only serving our midnight and early morning emergencies...
dwew83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I just ordered a product called Pure Power Blue from http://store.opproducts.com/
I ordered direct from the site and shipping costs weren't bad. I read some reviews online and it sounds great. Time will tell....
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
RR4 Marmora , Ontario
stinky tank

As I mentioned in another thread, when the tank gets stinky or dirty, or if a tank is constantly dumped of just liquids and not flushed properly solids stay behind and start to break down inside your tank and go ripe, when traveling to your next site dump in a bag of ice or two and half a box of Borax, this will clean your tank and freshen it up, do it three or four times a season and it will be much better.
I tell all my customers to do this and have for many years, they all seem happy and keep coming back for service work.
Steve
NorthernWind is offline   Reply With Quote