Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

stinks when the wind blows.....

Please help me, someone. I am tired of stink. I have use several different tank deodorant chems but I think I am just trying to mask the original issue, something has lost it's factory seal. Should I pull my toilet and try to seal something? It is most noticable when the wind is gusty but I can always smell a little something wrong when I enter the rv.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The flapper in the bottom of the bowl should seal it from the tank. If you leave water in the bowl it should not drain into the tank without opening the flapper. The tank should have a vent to the roof also. Is it possible that the wind is blowing air from the roof vent into an open window?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Is this while you're using it (the bus) or when it's been sitting for a while? Typically if you're using the toilet, an inch or two of water remains in the bowl after flushing which would stop odors coming from the black water tank. Otherwise, if it's sitting for extended periods, try adding some grey tank deodorizer to the P traps in the sinks and shower to create a seal there. Odor might be coming from the grey tank, which is why I suggest this...

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
You can check a few things. First is your vent system blocked? There is a screen on the end of the vent (top side) and it could have become clogged with leaves or some other debris. Second this vent could be clogged from inside your tank, ugh. How can you tell? Have someone flush the toilet while you are on top and you should smell the sweet smell of success. Third, is that your tanks needs to be cleaned. Mine has a funny little lip in it that seems to catch those things you do not want to talk about. I find that I need to take a long handled wand with a strong pressure spray on the end, such as those used for washing cars and stick into the toilet and let it spray while the dump valve is open. Camper World sells wands for this purpose, I got mine at KMart. Goggles are a good idea, keep your mouth closed and I hope I don't have to explain. After you have the tank all cleaned, treat it like a new tank. You will need to get the enzymes built up again so don't dump for awhile. Hopefully this will take care of your problem and you will have clean sailing from here on.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Maybe this will help, saw this at an RV show last weekend.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=26177&src=TSC
Old 01-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I find that I need to take a long handled wand with a strong pressure spray on the end, such as those used for washing cars and stick into the toilet and let it spray while the dump valve is open. Camper World sells wands for this purpose, I got mine at KMart. Goggles are a good idea, keep your mouth closed and I hope I don't have to explain.
I tried one of those once, and I have to say I would never do it again. I finally ended up taking a plastic pie plate and cutting a hole the size of the wand in the middle, put the wand through it, and then kept the pie plate tight over the top of the bowl to stop the splashback. Still, I threw the whole mess away when I was done! YUK!

When I got done I still needed to clean my tank, so I filled it up and added Rid-X, let it sit for two weeks, and then when I emptied it all kinds of accumulated crud came out. No muss no fuss. Rid X is the only thing I use in the black tank now, and the only time we get odors is if the toilet bowl isn't holding water to keep the stink out. Usually it's just a little TP or something jamming the flap.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
Maybe this will help, saw this at an RV show last weekend.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=26177&src=TSC

That's what I thought, the air running across the vent is creating pressure. That does seem like a good idea.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I tried one of those once, and I have to say I would never do it again. I finally ended up taking a plastic pie plate and cutting a hole the size of the wand in the middle, put the wand through it, and then kept the pie plate tight over the top of the bowl to stop the splashback. Still, I threw the whole mess away when I was done! YUK!

When I got done I still needed to clean my tank, so I filled it up and added Rid-X, let it sit for two weeks, and then when I emptied it all kinds of accumulated crud came out. No muss no fuss. Rid X is the only thing I use in the black tank now, and the only time we get odors is if the toilet bowl isn't holding water to keep the stink out. Usually it's just a little TP or something jamming the flap.

Hah - Sounds like that show on Discovery Channel "Dirty Jobs". The host Mike Rowe is always getting himself splashed with such stuff...

I don't know how he can stand it... p-ugk!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanextreme
Please help me, someone. I am tired of stink. I have use several different tank deodorant chems but I think I am just trying to mask the original issue, something has lost it's factory seal.
I've only had this problem twice and in both cases it was on an SOB trailer. First was a cracked vent stack and the second time was when the seal on the toilet valve wore out. As noted by others the failure of the bowl to hold water is a sure sign of a bad seal or debris in the seal. Note the bowl may take several hours to leak itself dry so be patient in testing. Possibly overnight. When these go bad, the symptom is very obvious when you walk into the trailer or the bathroom.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
bethesda , Maryland
Bad Smell

I am having similar issue...I have traced bad smell to under the kitchen sink..there appears to be a vent there that is right under kitchen window..could it be my problem is with grey tank?
popeyedoyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote