Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Thumbs up Solution for 'slinky' problems

FYI: Camping World has an internet sale for the "Sewer Solution" this week end only! $50 off regular price. check it out, opportunity is knocking.
Chip
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have read and read and read on this site, RV.net, and another site on this product....cant figure out if I want to do it or stick with the 3" hose and save the money....seems like this is kinda slower, but definately seems like it will be a bit easier cleanup....I dont know....even at 100 bucks seems spendy for what it is....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
the thing that I think I like about it, is that you dont need to fiddle much with worring about supporting the hose, can push a bit uphill...but i worry all those plastic parts will break or something.....any experience with longevity of this equipment?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The necessary accessory for this particular set of tools is a box of disposable rubber gloves.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been using the Sewer Solution now for over six years. We have found it to be less expensive than the slinky. It may cost more to buy at the outset, but it lasts indefinitely. In our first couple of years of camping, we probably spent twice the price of a Sewer Solution on various slinky hoses and components. It was our experience that the slinky hoses quickly developed pin holes and have to be replaced.

Thanks for the info on the sale as I plan to buy a back-up Sewer Solution.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
moosetags...I went and did some math on buying some various components to get a "slinky type" solution...and indeed, the margin aint as bad given the sale price...

good to know you have 6 years of experience with it with good results...I may very well buy

Probably a good idea with the sale on the 10' extension to get that too if I go that route?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
moosetags...I went and did some math on buying some various components to get a "slinky type" solution...and indeed, the margin aint as bad given the sale price...

good to know you have 6 years of experience with it with good results...I may very well buy

Probably a good idea with the sale on the 10' extension to get that too if I go that route?
I have been using the sewer solution going on 6 years, and the construction is very good with all components holding up well. I would encourage you to get the extra hose, as it coils up nicely and fits in my trunk on the Classic Limited. The extra length has come in handy with sewer hook ups that are uphill from the black tank discharge making the slinky useless.

All in all money well spent in my opinion...

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
bought the device and extension hose...one more thing on my list marked off...good sale price too

Old 08-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
bought the device and extension hose...one more thing on my list marked off...good sale price too
But keep your slinky just in case, as a backup.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have not yet bought the clear extensions piece....is that really necessary as the head for the sewer solution is clear....not as big of a window but would do the job?

I guess having a bigger window may be convenient?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
no doubt, I think they will be giving me some sort of slinky when I pick up the AS...

DEF need to keep a backup! Good point. And I know at some CG's there is a dump station...perhaps as those if there is a line, the slinky may be more appropriate....?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
adding to my goodies ordered today...a digital tire pressure gage..and a copy of "the long long trailer" on DVD....have not seen the movie actually...should get a few laughs...

So far crap Ive bought ive kept minimal in anticipation of my trailer...only things so far are these purchases, surge protector (progressive industries 50amp portable)....and I have an amazon wish list of a bunch of necessities...

although this feels like a bit of an impulse buy...although ive been reading about it for a while and most owners seem quite happy on many forums...

Old 08-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
And I know at some CG's there is a dump station...perhaps as those if there is a line, the slinky may be more appropriate....?
No worries. However long you take is however long you take. I've been stuck in line behind big Class As and 5th wheels that took forever to finish emptying their holding tanks through a slinky, too, not the least reason being their tanks are that much larger. And once they're done, they still have to rinse out the slinky and wash themselves up (why do none of them invest in disposable surgical gloves to wear while dumping their tanks like I did…)
Old 08-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I use a 6" clear extension with my Sewer Solution. It really helps to see what is going on and troubleshoot problems. I have kept a 10' slinky to do a quick gray water dump. I do not use it for the black tank

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"why do none of them invest in disposable surgical gloves to wear while dumping their tanks like I did"

their poop is cleaner than yours?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I will go to their website and check the price. I have used the Sewer Solution since 2005 and am now on my third one.... only because when I rolled poor old "foiled" in June I chose not to salvage the one in the bumper. (The thought of even a little smell permeating all of the other stuff we were dumping in boxes and hauling to the truck or the UPS store... Cheaper by far to buy another new one than try to deodorize half of my stuff.)

The one I abandoned was only slightly more than a year old. The new one I got has some slight differences that actually look like improvements to me - mainly the part that drops into the sewer opening - it's threaded and much easier to adapt to different sized drain holes. I don't have the clear extension that fits on the trailer. I do have 10 extra feet of hose, though most of the time one length is fine.

I don't use rubber gloves - but I DO wash my hands thoroughly after I pull the SS off and rinse it. OK - I'm a solo fulltimer. I don't use rubber gloves when I am seated in the "oval office" so why worry when it's "different day, same sh**?" I've taken to keeping a container of liquid soap in the bumper compartment.

My new Eddie Bauer came with a top of the line slinky. It was even a Virgin! I gave it away to a friend. The slinky is faster for a big gray tank dump, but I've not yet encountered a situation where I've held up the line at the dump station. However if you're at a campground with some spots that are water & electric, and others are water, electric and sewer.... and it's 3 am on a moonless rainy night and you're within 30 feet of a vacant 3 point space who would notice if a green 1 inch hose trailed gently across the spaces for 10 minutes or so?

About the "mascerating" part of the SS. It's water pressure through a small orifice (a glorified super soaker water gun). It's also not needed every time you drain your tanks. You CAN get a big plug of toilet paper or find "the captain's log" and the mascerator is necessary for those things. 90% of the time you don't need to mascerate anything to completely drain your tanks. If you use paper that dissolves easily and everyone who uses your facilities eats enough fiber, and you wait a couple of hours after the last donation to the black tank - the stuff is all dissolved and just flows out with little to no drama. If you're parked you can always crank up the stabilizers, and rock the trailer back and forth with the jackpost to dissolve and mix the contents before releasing the stored waste. Cleaning up the bottom of the tank and the hose to a germ-free state? Why worry if you're taking it out next weekend. Now if you're storing it for the winter is time to get the flusher and the mascerator involved!

I dump the black, dump the gray to clear the hose, then shut the gate and detach the SS from the trailer and rinse it.

I heartily endorse this product. Paula
Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have had mine for 5-6 years and really like it. I do carry a slinky for a quick dump at dump stations as the SS is slower to use. BUT if there is long line at the 'dump' I just take it home and dump there with the SS. I got an extra 10' of hose for travel and for home I add 20' of PVC to reach a house clean-out......up and over part of our deck. Works for me...

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I don't use rubber gloves - but I DO wash my hands thoroughly after I pull the SS off and rinse it. OK - I'm a solo fulltimer. I don't use rubber gloves when I am seated in the "oval office" so why worry when it's "different day, same sh**?" I've taken to keeping a container of liquid soap in the bumper compartment.
Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't always use the gloves, either. Now that I know a macerator pump tends to be very clean to use. However, I check out the dump station to see if the previous users cleaned up their messes first, then decide whether to break out the gloves. There have been a couple of times that the area around the dump station has been literally filthy with other people's… filth. Some people aren't considerate enough to clean up after themselves. Probably the same people who don't understand quiet hours or other basic rules of campground etiquette…
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think having watch the vids with SS, as long as you are not going to get your hands directly on copious amounts of fecal material, on your fingertips/fingernails etc...and it appears that with SS, the likelihood of such is very low...as such washing your hands just the same thoroughly as doing so after using the restroom likely is all the same....

BUT - I probably will most of the times use gloves - I think there is a subjective difference about emptying the waste in this manner that guides folks....

I also dont wear gloves after changing horrific diapers of my children...this probably compared to me going number 2 or dumping the black tank much much more likely to get me contaminated!

EEWWWWW - people leave their S$%$t etc on the ground....does not surprise me....*shaking my head*

Old 08-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
well, I have a surge protector, a sewer solution....but no airstream yet....

T minus 2 months....ish...

Ive never been so excited to dump S%$&t in my life lol