Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Smelly AS

We have a problem that has us perplexed. On our last trip (2000 miles) we had sewer odor in our rig. I traced the source to a vent pipe under the closet by the water pump. I seemed that when I had the Fantastic Fan on and sucking air OUT of the trailer, it pulled sewer smell from the pipe vent. This had NEVER been an issue before. I put a plastic bag over the vent and put a rubber band around that and that took care of the smell. Seems like a pretty poor fix at best. Any ideas?
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Are you saying that the sewer vent pipe is leaking? Not good...
Sometimes you can also get odors from the tanks from drains if the p traps are dry.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I don't think anything is leaking, it's just that gas is coming into the coach through the open black pipe the vents into the closet.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
I don't think anything is leaking, it's just that gas is coming into the coach through the open black pipe the vents into the closet.
Open black pipe vents into the closet? That can't be right. Can you post a picture? It doesn't go up through the ceiling to the roof?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I agree, something is very wrong. Sewer gases are dangerous and should be vented outside of the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Vent

I have seen this before. There are some new vent caps that are allowed by building code. Typically, these are being found below cabinets. The idea is to allow air into the drain pipe to prevent the "p" trap from being drained due to suction.

These devices have a membrane that is to allow air into the drain but not allow air out of the cap. I have seen where this membrane fails over time. It could be a simple replacement will "fix' the issue.

I'm a Home Depot man. I think you can find this part there.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
FishbyFly,

So that is the what that black vent looking pipe is sticking out of the floor underneath the closet near the water pump. That makes a lot of sense, that it helps keep water in the P trap. Since this is for the gray water system, it gives me comfort to know that it isn't coming from black water tank.

We were having the same problem with our trailer this summer too on a long road trip. I couldn't imagine what it was, since every time I went into the bathroom to check it out, the smell would go away. I didn't think about that vent. It did smell like sewer, but, I also know that gray water sure can stink after a while too.

You say that you can get replacement vent caps from Home Depot?

Sam
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #8
_

. , .
the black vent pipe in the closet SHOULD lead to the roof, with a vent cap on the OUTSIDE of the trailer...

at least mine does.

yes this black vent pipe in the closet can come loose or be poorly attached to the tank.

if this is the case it WILL leak odors and/or LIQUIDS into the trailer interior.

(ask me how i know this)

this isn't NORMAL however. the black pipe should be sealed against the tank and all the way up to the roof vent.

this problem can be corrected with a rubber sleeve and ring clamps and the correct glues...

u are BOTH still under warranty so ge this fixed soon.

and don't over fill the tank with liquids, they will leak inside and on to the floor....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:42 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The vent caps are called air amintance valves. The common name is the band name Studor. The Oaty brand is sold at Home Depot.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
Those vent caps have a lifespan of around five years. It should be just a simple screw off then screw on a new one.

Renovated the bathroom in my old house and used one. Fairly inexpensive, $5 I believe.

They allow air into the system to allow proper draining when vent stack is more than five feet from p traps.

No biggee. Plumbing section Home Depot.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
There is NO cap for this vent. I agree that this might be a vent for the grey tank. Maybe a call to AS might be helpful.

I did have a problem with slow draining of my sinks and shower. It was a vent cap that was on too tight restricting the venting of the tank. More investigation now that I am home.

Thanks to you all.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Problem solved

We had a slow draining problem and took unit to dealer. He said cap on vent on grey tank was on too tight. What they neglected to tell me is that they didn't even put the vent cap BACK ON! The tank just vented into the closet. I called AS and they are sending me a replacement venting cap. This should stop my wife from questioning my gas probems or me hers
Old 08-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
We have a problem that has us perplexed. On our last trip (2000 miles) we had sewer odor in our rig. I traced the source to a vent pipe under the closet by the water pump. I seemed that when I had the Fantastic Fan on and sucking air OUT of the trailer, it pulled sewer smell from the pipe vent. This had NEVER been an issue before. I put a plastic bag over the vent and put a rubber band around that and that took care of the smell. Seems like a pretty poor fix at best. Any ideas?
I have recently had a similar experience. I learned that simly draining the sewer the conventional way and using the AS system to clean the tanks does not work. I purchased a "Flush King" that I read about on the Forum and flushed the system about 7 times. I could not beleive what flowed out of our tank that I thought was clean. I was actually schocked and disgusted, I then let the AS system run for an hour and finally their was a clean flow of water. The I purchased a product called "Odorless" from Camper World. Everything is back to normal.These systems must be properly flushed and that is a time consuming process so if you are at a dump station it will be necessary to have the time and a source of water and something like a Flush King or the odor will persist. The Odorless product or something similar will aid in breaking down the effluent so that it will be easier to drain from the system. I did not anticipate that this would be such a time consuming issue when I purchased my AS, as I was told the AS system that flushed the tank was designed for this purpose. Unfortunately the system is almost worthless. If you have already gone through this process, then the vent cap is an easy fix.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Another great product is "Digest-it Dog". It works on grease in your gray tank as well as the effluent in the black tank.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote