Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Slow drip

We have slow dripping from the rivet heads that hold the flange surrounding the grey tank dump handle. The two pictures of the rivets are looking up at the bottom of the Airstream.

There's no water coming out anywhere else, just at these rivet heads, and as you can see on the pavers, it's not a whole lot.

What do y'all think? Bad connection at handle, leaky tank, condensation, or what?

We've been at this location, in Florida, for over a month. Lately it's been warm days and cool nights.

Any help or input is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_104829.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	408794   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_105437.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	408795  

Name:	20211205_104917_resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	536.1 KB
ID:	408796  

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Following.

Similar issue here…on occasion. Five weeks of travel this year and no drip. Then a couple of weeks of drip. No leaks inside that I can find. It’s difficult to reproduce: pump on, pump off, city water, which faucets are running, drains, tilt of trailer. Borescope reveals nothing.

I bought a new city water inlet but have not installed it. Next time
It happens I’ll have my borescope and inlet with me.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
City , State
I had a similar issue.

I hope this helps you!

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ss-221961.html

My ultimate problem which I’ve yet to detail in a post was a backwards pressurization of the fresh water (cold) line due to a failed mixing valve at the water heater.

The water heater would be on and after a while would build enough pressure to overcome the loose connection at the city water inlet.

A new mixing valve solved the problem and a new check valve will (should) prevent it from happening if the mixing valve fails again.

Best!
RamTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Thanks.

I had noticed that the water heater may have been a cause but couldn’t confirm it.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Indeed, I'm tracking the leak to the fresh water inlet area. At this time, I suspect the fresh water inlet/valve.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Classic
Antsville , FUBAR
Just our experience...

I also had a similar leak...it took 10 yrs to appear but indeed was a installation failure.
A clamp was overtightened during the build, the gray tank flange cracked=dripdripdrip.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EE7660B6-73F4-41F5-87BC-1BC6B25DE3AD_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	408866   Click image for larger version

Name:	67C649E0-473B-4E3C-99B5-E352F4CB9EBF_1_201_a.jpg
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	408867  

Name:	C0E67301-B1F2-4330-9C32-FE261BA53EA9_1_201_a.jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	408868  
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Any chance it is condensation from the AC drain line?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Any chance it is condensation from the AC drain line?
I don't think mine could be AC condensation. The drip is passing around the rivets at the flange holding the outermost part of the gray-water handle (where the two flippy things are). The condensation drip is in the wheel well and has been working. No AC during the drip but maybe water could enter the drip line some other way (dew?).
Old 12-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
I would check the back of your city water inlet. There are screws on the back of it that are famous for loosing up probably from vibration and hot and cold expansion. I have been able to visually see water dripping from mine in the past and have stopped it by snugging up those screws. Be careful not to overtighten as the thing is just plastic and can strip easily.
rfequity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
To check for black or gray tank leaks, put some water in the tanks and add a different food coloring to each. Put a catch pan under the drip and see what color comes out.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
We have a 2019 International 30 foot rear twin.

The leak is fixed.

The part that was the issue was the Freshwater Inlet, we replaced it with this one from Amazon. We ordered two of 'em, one for a spare.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-183-0...8967702&sr=8-2

This part, from Amazon, does NOT include the gasket that goes between the flange and the skin of the Airstream. We meticulously removed the gasket from the old part and used it on the new one, including a hair dryer for heat to loosen the glue on the dang thing. Also, there are no rubber gaskets included, the one that would go in to the thumb screw head that twists on from the water line to the nipple on the Freshwater inlet valve. Make sure you don't drop or lose the one that HOPEFULLY is there when you unscrew the thumb tab from the inside....ours was in there. I have a couple of these on hand just in case I drop one some day, say, working on the water pump or something else.

The original inlet valve had a sticker that reads, in part, "outlet pressure 50 psi", while the new one reads "outlet pressure 65 psi". I run a decent water regulator at the freshwater tap, set to 45 psi or so.

The instructions on the new part clearly state to use at least a foot of braided flexible hose from the inlet valve to any solidly attached pvc/pex piping. In other words, do not hook up directly to a solid connection.

Well, at least on our unit, Airstream provides an OEM solid connection, where the water line internal to the trailer screws directly to the nipple of the freshwater inlet valve, making for a nice, solid, connection . I did not have the necessary tools, or time, to rectify this situation. Access to the area in our unit is through the bathroom sink cabinet, past the "s trap", and it's a real tight fit. Any involved plumbing would likely necessitate removal of the counter top.

The leak appears to have migrated from the freshwater inlet, between the skins, over to the grey/black tank flush valve apparatus and presented as a slow drip from ABOVE the knife handles and grey/black tank outlet pipe, where the knife handle flange/surround is riveted to the belly.

We set the pump on last night to pressurize the water system, no burps, no drips.

I've attached a picture or two just for fun
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211205_184213_resized.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	408907   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_174601_resized.jpg
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	408909  

Old 12-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
The instructions on the new part clearly state to use at least a foot of braided flexible hose from the inlet valve to any solidly attached pvc/pex piping. In other words, do not hook up directly to a solid connection.

We have the same inlet on our '88 Limited and it was also hard piped on the back side. From the reading I did, the hard piping is what causes those prv's to fail. I had the luxury (hah) of having to replace all my original piping with pex so I installed a 12" long braided line from the outlet to my pex. No problems so far.
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
We have a 2019 International 30 foot rear twin.

The leak is fixed.

The part that was the issue was the Freshwater Inlet, we replaced it with this one from Amazon. We ordered two of 'em, one for a spare.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-183-0...8967702&sr=8-2

This part, from Amazon, does NOT include the gasket that goes between the flange and the skin of the Airstream. We meticulously removed the gasket from the old part and used it on the new one, including a hair dryer for heat to loosen the glue on the dang thing. Also, there are no rubber gaskets included, the one that would go in to the thumb screw head that twists on from the water line to the nipple on the Freshwater inlet valve. Make sure you don't drop or lose the one that HOPEFULLY is there when you unscrew the thumb tab from the inside....ours was in there. I have a couple of these on hand just in case I drop one some day, say, working on the water pump or something else.

The original inlet valve had a sticker that reads, in part, "outlet pressure 50 psi", while the new one reads "outlet pressure 65 psi". I run a decent water regulator at the freshwater tap, set to 45 psi or so.

Well, at least on our unit, Airstream provides an OEM solid connection, where the water line internal to the trailer screws directly to the nipple of the freshwater inlet valve, making for a nice, solid, connection . I did not have the necessary tools, or time, to rectify this situation. Access to the area in our unit is through the bathroom sink cabinet, past the "s trap", and it's a real tight fit. Any involved plumbing would likely necessitate removal of the counter top.

The leak appears to have migrated from the freshwater inlet, between the skins, over to the grey/black tank flush valve apparatus and presented as a slow drip from ABOVE the knife handles and grey/black tank outlet pipe, where the knife handle flange/surround is riveted to the belly.

We set the pump on last night to pressurize the water system, no burps, no drips.

I've attached a picture or two just for fun

Had the same issue on my 2020 FC 27. Much easier to order the part on Amazon than have the dealer do warranty work. I also put Plastic Epoxy around the sealing edges on the back of the water inlet. Located about halfway back on the inlet.
WBCCI#8934
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Limited View Post
We have the same inlet on our '88 Limited and it was also hard piped on the back side. From the reading I did, the hard piping is what causes those prv's to fail. I had the luxury (hah) of having to replace all my original piping with pex so I installed a 12" long braided line from the outlet to my pex. No problems so far.
Airstream installs the pumps incorrectly, too. The directions say to use flex hose at both sides of the pump. Instead, they run PEX with multiple elbows. The flex would be far easier to install…no somewhat-precise PEX lengths to cut then crimp/clamp.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Add ours to the list.

City water connection leaked for years, that I mistook for supply hose source. No, connections behind the steel mounting wall either vibrated loose or were never properly snugged up. Disassembly provided the access to get my hands onto the fittings. Grinding away rust and repainting before reassembly has our water confined to hoses and pipes again... and the compartment visually restored. Misery just loves company
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote