Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #61
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Had a little problem

Yesterday I dumped and cleaned my tanks and moved to another campground and hooked up my sewer solution again. When I turned the water on for a test, the valve broke. No way could I dump without getting it fixed.
Lowes has the assembly for about $4.00 so I now a good one and a spare. I would hate to be trying to leave and that happen without a back up.
Dumping can be full of surprises no matter what you use. I have had a slinky split making a real mess.
I'll keep using my SS>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	109003  
Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #62

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We recently had to replace the same part. We bought two new ones at an Ace Hardware.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #63
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I've been using this thing on and off for a while now. There are pros and cons.

There are two main disadvantages. One is that if you're dumping full tanks at a dump station, it takes longer and involves more fiddling to use the SS. The much larger diameter slinky-type hose is an advantage in this situation.

The other is that if someone flushes a tampon or something it makes a hell of a mess with no easy way to clean things up. Usually these will go through a 3" hose.

On the other hand if you are parked at a site with full hookups it's handy and less of a mess and speed doesn't matter. There are also advantages if you are dumping in some wonky location where you have to go uphill or a long way or something.

I have found, on my trailer, that I have to use a 4" clear extension on the 4-lug valterra connector to get enough room for everything.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #64
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
One additional note to my pic's above...

If you happen to have an older rear bath AS with the sewer outlet connection just forward of the rear bumper (see my Pics above)...you'll have to get the inlet to the SS reversed from the 'standard' RH inlet, to a LH inlet -

SS advise to specify a 'reverse' inlet model if you need the inlet water hose to mount on the LH side of the SS (when looking from at the SS when mounted)...again see pic's above...
Looks like one of those clear extensions on the 4-lug valterra connector would solve this too.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Add my name to the SS users who say this thing is the best solution to a messy problem. Works great - right out of the box. This past weekend was my first full hook up site where I could use it. I will never go back. I carry a 20 foot 4" section for dump stations but if I can wait to get home I will.

Thank You Sewer SOlution.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Add my name to the SS users who say this thing is the best solution to a messy problem. Works great - right out of the box. This past weekend was my first full hook up site where I could use it. I will never go back. I carry a 20 foot 4" section for dump stations but if I can wait to get home I will.

Thank You Sewer SOlution.
I've had and used mine for 3 years now. Ditto on carrying a slinky too but now if I can't get to a dump station I can dump at home into the house sewer cleanout. I added up to 30' of SS hose to reach it with a slight uphill and it works great. The trailer now makes for a great guest 'house'.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I've been using this thing on and off for a while now. There are pros and cons.

There are two main disadvantages. One is that if you're dumping full tanks at a dump station, it takes longer and involves more fiddling to use the SS. The much larger diameter slinky-type hose is an advantage in this situation.

The other is that if someone flushes a tampon or something it makes a hell of a mess with no easy way to clean things up. Usually these will go through a 3" hose.

On the other hand if you are parked at a site with full hookups it's handy and less of a mess and speed doesn't matter. There are also advantages if you are dumping in some wonky location where you have to go uphill or a long way or something.

I have found, on my trailer, that I have to use a 4" clear extension on the 4-lug valterra connector to get enough room for everything.
Dear Jammer,

"If someone flushes a tampon or something..." could be a really nasty surprise, and yes you'll have a 2 gallon mess even after you close the black valve. However the water jet might quite successfully disassemble the tampon. (I can just imagine a Mythbusters experiment here!)

I don't often have guests stay overnight, but when I do, I NEVER assume they will know about the proper use of an RV toilet, so I provide a small covered, lined trash cans, appropriate paper bags for disposal and a brief but frank discussion of what not to flush and why. Once a guest understands that you have to "personally manage the eco-outflow" they won't embarass themselves by flushing anything inappropriate. Embarassing? Less so than spilling sewage on the ground IMHO.

I always strongly suggest that feminine hygiene disposables be burned to ashes immediately after disposing of them. Why? BEARS.

Bears are sexually attracted to that scent. There are a few black bears in eastern VA/NC... and they are wooses compared to grizzlies. However, even a shy black bear can weigh 200-300 lb. and when motivated can crunch the heck out of your airstream and kill you dead! This is NOT a good time to go boondocking in the woods. You can't assume you're safe even in a giant campground in a big national park or wilderness area where there are bears. Keep a second "trash" hearth with some match lightable charcoal or lighter fluid and reduce everything completely to ashes! If you're in a "no open camp fire" zone due to drought conditions, a charcoal lighting chimney makes a good tiny campfire to take care of the problem discreetly (as does an old fashioned 3 lb coffee can with holes poked in the sides and a pan lid over the top).

Paula
Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01
Since there has been some confusion, and because photos are worth 1000 words, I give you photos:

Sewer Solution in dumping mode (note position of brass nozzle)

Sewer Solution is flushing mode (not position of brass nozzle)

Sewer Solution with quick disconnect anti-drainback valve attached

3" and 4" poop chute adapters (the 3" slides into the 4" if necessary--shown)

Sewer Solution and water line hooked up for dumping. Notice how you can physically see into the trailers dump pipe, hence you know when the tanks are empty.

Hope this helped,

Brian
Thanks Brian. Excellent photos. They will sell a few products from this thread.

Don

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
We have been using our SS for about 10 years without any problems except the plastic check valve cracked and I found parts at Home Depot to fix it....the original units were made in Oklahoma years ago....
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Since the usual procedure is to dump black first then grey, is that what you do with the SS? Do you use water pressure when dumping the grey??

???

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Yes, black 1st, gray last... If the sewer inlet is lower than the outlet on your Airstream, you could drain the gray by gravity alone but the siphon action of the water jet may shorten the drain time. I'm completely satisfied with my SS, but I also understand and accept that it takes longer to dump with the Sewer Solution than with the slinky. The SS is really useful when the sewer inlet is uphill from your trailer outlet since it would not be possible to dump in that situation with just the slinky.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Since the usual procedure is to dump black first then grey, is that what you do with the SS? Do you use water pressure when dumping the grey??

???

The "standard" method is to dump black first then grey. It is common belief that the grey will flush out the more nasty black "stuff" from the hose and help push it down the line in the standard flex hose setup. In the SS, at least this is what I do, I leave my grey line open all the time to drain with gravity flow out the small diameter line. My grey really never should have any large materials to clog the line. I can then shot the SS jet down the line when I want to flush it. When I'm ready to dump the black I close the grey off and open the black with the water jet going. It pushes and shreads all black materials down the line. Cleanup is simple, close both black and grey valves and shoot the jet back up towards the valves and rinse, then flush that water too.

One thing to remember. Without a valve open there is no vent to the SS chamber area, rinse water will not drain properly. You have to open the grey valve to allow air to flow from the trailer tank vent. This will allow all liquids to drain through the line.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Lesson Leaned: This may be already mentioned in here somewhere, but - I used my Sewer Solution for the first time this past weekend. Worked great with one exception. When I directed the water flow up into the tank it forced some rather nasty stuff up thru my shower drain. Of course I did not find it until after I was all finished, cleaned up and making one last pass thru the interior to make sure everything was ready to go. I had several cups of liquid with a bit of solids in the shower floor. Cleaned it up and after several days I still have the stink stuck in my nose. The lesson learned was to either don’t direct the water up into the trailer or remember to plug securely the shower drain from the inside. The trials and tribulations of a new vintage Airstream owner continue.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #74
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Been pondering the SS for some time now, but we are "dockers" at heart and most of the stations we frequent do not have city water pressure. Seems it wouldn't perform nearly as well under those conditions. May be something to consider for home use though, that way we could avoid the Sunday evening rush at the DS.

My considering has ceased...put the dumper right next to the pad, no more lines at the CG and good water pressure to flush with, SS still on CW's shelf.

Bob
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
What is the difference between the SS and a macenary pump that attaches to the sewer for doing the same thing and they are usually cheaper.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #76

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
What is the difference between the SS and a macenary pump that attaches to the sewer for doing the same thing and they are usually cheaper.
I'm not familiar with a macenary pump.

The only alternative to the Sewer Solution that I am aware of is a macerator pump. These use an electric grinder pump as opposed to the Sewer Solution's water pressure/venturi system. The macerator pumps start around $350.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I'm not familiar with macenary pump.
I think macenarys are hired guns that work for companies like Blackwater. . .
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
My only negative with the ss is that it is slower than the slinky. We love the way it works and the ability to flush and clean the lines is nice. But when in line at a dump station you will definitely slow other folks down, and you will be occupying the wash down hose as well. All in all, well worth the single negative.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I just love the SS idea; however, I'm slow to jump into the frenzy. Two Airstream friends have purchased the system and I'm very interested to see how it works out for them over the long haul. I guess I just figure if it's not broken don't try and fix it as the old slinky hose works just great for me under all conditions. Time will tell so keep posting friends and thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I think macenarys are hired guns that work for companies like Blackwater. . .

ur thinkin of Mercernary's and yes I mispelled the other.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote