Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I seems to help with higher pressure but any pressure helps break up the black tank. Greay tank doesn't need much help. More pressure does help the back flush out where you you shoot water up into the drain tubes.

Compared to the regular sewer slinky hose this is a piece of cake and there days I rarely wear gloves since everything is really well rinsed while connected. Very different than a slinky-stinky.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We love it so far - used it at a dump station with someone behind me Sunday - took a few min but no biggie

If you are in a hurry definately use the SS flush/macerater jet - faster that way

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We are hooked up at a friends house for a couple weeks. There is an electric and water connection, but the septic tank is 100' away
and slightly uphill.
I bought 10 sections of thinwall 3/4" PVC pipe.I cut them in half to make them easier to handle, then cemented a couple to one end of each piece. Then I put them together and connected the SS, I use a "Y", so I can connect water too the SS and my black water rinse at the same time. My friend's water pressure is 50 psi.
I was able to empty the black water tank in less than 10 minutes....... with no problems.
I've had the SS 2 years and used it a lot, but this is the longest distance so far.
Footer whatever it's worth.
Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We've been using the Sewer Solution all summer and have probably dumped the tanks a couple dozen times so far with this product. We still love it and will continue to use. In my opinion the primary benefit over the traditional hose setup is the relatively clean state of affairs of the dumping hardware when done. I just don't think that simply using the "dump the black first followed by the grey and then a little spritz of water in the sewer hose" method results in a "clean" setup.

By the way, using the internal black tank flush really gets a lot more stuff out of that tank than a simple dump. I spent quite a bit of time the other day while at a full hook up site really cleaning out the black tank using the internal flush mechanism to partially refill the tank with the valve closed several times. It took awhile but it's probably a good idea to do this every once and awhile. The Sewer Solution really didn't play a role in this particular effort but I point this out only so that others ca consider doing this as well.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
The SS is a great system. I never liked the slinkys because of the ridges and feel they often trap stuff that then can get transferred into your storage compartment.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just ordered one last night, looking forward to trying it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
We've been using the Sewer Solution all summer and have probably dumped the tanks a couple dozen times so far with this product. We still love it and will continue to use. In my opinion the primary benefit over the traditional hose setup is the relatively clean state of affairs of the dumping hardware when done. I just don't think that simply using the "dump the black first followed by the grey and then a little spritz of water in the sewer hose" method results in a "clean" setup.

By the way, using the internal black tank flush really gets a lot more stuff out of that tank than a simple dump. I spent quite a bit of time the other day while at a full hook up site really cleaning out the black tank using the internal flush mechanism to partially refill the tank with the valve closed several times. It took awhile but it's probably a good idea to do this every once and awhile. The Sewer Solution really didn't play a role in this particular effort but I point this out only so that others ca consider doing this as well.

yup, if your goal is to run the airstream tank flush to the point where the water comes out "clean"...you have to really take the time and flush it 2-3 times to achieve this. I may be getting lazy...but I am to the point where I only do this here and there...takes forever and a ton of water to do this....this video shows how much it takes to achieve this...this dude is super anal, lol...he wants it so clean so that it passes his so called "sniff test".....

PS to airstream folks buying newer campers...some (the bunkhouse for example) has a macerator toilet...these so called "electric toilets"....do not put ice in these!! I did not make this mistake, but some dealers may be a bit missing on this point...my dealer was very helpful but gave us the ice tip...I corrected them, but that could have I presume caused some real damage.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Been using the SS for 5 years now - no regrets. I did have the campground "patrol" at my campsite last week in Arkansas stop by and question my setup. I went over it carefully. I use a "Y" connector on the campground faucet with an backflow connector immediately following BEFORE I connect my water hose that goes to the SS. Then there is the SS shut off valve and the SS backflow connection and quick connect. SO, 2 protection devices and a positive shut off valve keeps any unknowns from flowing upstream. This is in addition to the campground backflow protection at the faucet. I use my hose for other purposes - not drinking water - so I don't want any issues. My "white" hose goes on the other side of the "Y" connector and is safe from any issues.

I keep my SS in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and at home fill it to the top with water and add a good slug of bleach after every trip to keep it sanitary-ish. The bucket makes it easy to keep everything in one place. I do travel with a 4 inch line stored under the camper in a tube but have never used it in 5 years. If I cannot flush at the campsite then I carry it until I can.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Why would they pick on the SS setup ?

People with full hookups and a slinky still use their flush and such

I spay the faucet with a bleach solution prior to hooking my water hose up as last thing done could have been someone dumping and such

Old 08-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Been using SS for 6 years. I can use it to 'dump' at home. I add more sewer hose to make it the 30' up the grade to our house cleanout. BUT I carry a slinky just for that rare dump at a public dump station.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I'm 99% convinced I want to switch to the sewer solution, but I do have a question. On our Airstream I believe there is a wye in the piping just upstream from the sewer hose connection. It doesn't look like the SS would do a good job of cleaning out the black tank on our 25fb (I'm referring to the feature/process of rotating the nozzle to spray out the tanks). Does the rotating spray process work without a direct 'shot' into the tank, or will I need 2 water supplies (one connected to the SS for the macerator and one connected to the blank tank flush on the AS)?
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You will need both water supplies to get a good flush but you do not have to do it that way each time you dump the tanks.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I know folks use two hoses hooked to y valve to the faucet and dedicate one for the SS flush and one for the tank flush

That's a fine strategy

I also have just unscrewed the hose from the SS and put it on the AS flush input and go back and forth a few times as needed

But having dedicated two lines easier

Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Been using the SS for 5 years now - no regrets. I did have the campground "patrol" at my campsite last week in Arkansas stop by and question my setup. I went over it carefully. I use a "Y" connector on the campground faucet with an backflow connector immediately following BEFORE I connect my water hose that goes to the SS. Then there is the SS shut off valve and the SS backflow connection and quick connect. SO, 2 protection devices and a positive shut off valve keeps any unknowns from flowing upstream. This is in addition to the campground backflow protection at the faucet. I use my hose for other purposes - not drinking water - so I don't want any issues. My "white" hose goes on the other side of the "Y" connector and is safe from any issues.

I keep my SS in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and at home fill it to the top with water and add a good slug of bleach after every trip to keep it sanitary-ish. The bucket makes it easy to keep everything in one place. I do travel with a 4 inch line stored under the camper in a tube but have never used it in 5 years. If I cannot flush at the campsite then I carry it until I can.
Clancy, you use the exact set up and method I use right down to the bucket, with water and bleach to keep it all clean and sweet smelling. I made the mistake of not taking the quick disconnect out of my old trailer when I sold it. Had to buy another direct from the manufacturer. Shipping was as much as the little part.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I know folks use two hoses hooked to y valve to the faucet and dedicate one for the SS flush and one for the tank flush

That's a fine strategy

I also have just unscrewed the hose from the SS and put it on the AS flush input and go back and forth a few times as needed

But having dedicated two lines easier
I suppose if you have quick disconnects this wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I was a little worried this was getting too complicated with 3 water hoses (1 fresh water hose; 1 blank tank flush hose; 1 sewer solution water hose).

I guess if you are running the blank tank flush (built into the AS) you don't have to run the sewer solution "pump" at the same time?
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The built in AS black tank flush is indispensable! Flipping up the Sewer Solution sprayer to get water back into the tank is mostly good for cleaning out the sewer pipe connections and not so much the black tank itself. When I use the built in black tank flush, I am AMAZED at how much more comes out! It would be a mistake not to use the back tank flush every once and awhile; not necessarily at every black tank dump, but at least every second or third time and certainly before storing the trailer for any length of time.

We've been on the road now for about six weeks and I am still "sold" on the Sewer Solution. The "regular" dump hose is still unused.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I suppose if you have quick disconnects this wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I was a little worried this was getting too complicated with 3 water hoses (1 fresh water hose; 1 blank tank flush hose; 1 sewer solution water hose).

I guess if you are running the blank tank flush (built into the AS) you don't have to run the sewer solution "pump" at the same time?

Wait - where can I get a quick disconnect that will work for the SS and AS?!

Old 08-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Wait - where can I get a quick disconnect that will work for the SS and AS?!
The quick connect on the SS is standard. The generic quick connects I picked up at Lowes work.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I like the SS quick disconnect because it has an on/off feature. It is very convenient to gave this option.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
So I can get one that hooks to the AS flush input and simply swap back and forth?