Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2003, 11:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Sewer Solution

Waiting out the winter in Anchorage; and thinking about what we need for next season's use of our new 16. Past posts thought a lot of this Sewer Solution thing, and looking at the slinky AS provided, I can see why. But, the TT has a separate port for attaching a hose to flush out the tank as you drain it, so I wonder if this thing is an improvement. The owners manual is typically unhelpful here, doesn't even mention the flushing inlet or when/how to use it. IF nothing else, I like not having to store the large diameter slinky and using only the non-corregated small diameter Sewer Solution hose.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 04:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

frozen chosen,

I have had a Sewer Solution for a long time infact I have one of the opague prototypes. You may have to have both the Sewer Solution and the slinky hose with you.

Some dump stations do not have a way to connect a hose. I have come across hoses with the male end cut off and the other end purposely located high in the air on the end of a long pipe to prevent people from temporarily replacing them. I think that some dump stations do not trust people to have antisiphon valves especially in areas that have a common water system.

I also have a built in tank cleaning system, but without a hose connection available, that will not work either.

I am going to make up a couple of pipe adapters that will fit inside the cut off ends of 1/2 and 3/4 inch hoses. Then with a short hose and a screw clamp, I can eliminate carring the sloppy slinky finally.

Be sure to carry a spare Theford adapter for the Sewer Solution. It is easy to break this adapter since the Sewer Solution somewhat conflicts with the dump vlaves on the Airstream. Once it breaks, you are SOL.

As you stated, the Sewer solution takes up very little room.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
So Frozen,

I hope I have this holding tank flush out attachment on my unit! Where is it and how do I use it? Sounds very handy since we don't have the advantage of using grey water to follow our black. Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Hi Jamie; on the road side above the wheel there are two inlets, the top (larger) being the hookup for freshwater supply at the campground. Below this there is a smaller inlet which is the tank flush. The dealer said I would normally not have to use this, but in the event the trailer had sat for a while, this would agitate the tank. He also said you could use the same hose that you have going to the upper valve; just unscrew it there and re=attach to the flush valve. Ummmm, I see why some campgrounds might cut the hose screws. I have the entire walk thru on tape, so if you would want it I could try to have it copies and sent to you.

Another question I still have: how do you change the high-intensity bulbs (no jokes)? Do yyou have a TV for yours? If so, what is it and how is it working. When the financial dust settles from having bought the TT, I am looking at a 17in LCD.

Later, Brad.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
I don't have the extra hose attachment for a tank flush, but I do have a tank flush hose that you put down through the toilet that is supposed to help clean it out. I'm not concerned yet.

I think the lights just pop down if you pry them from the most inner chrome ring. I started to pry one out once and it made a move but I stopped for some reason.

NoTV. We have a lap top that we think of using as a DVD player but haven't taken it along yet. We haven't stayed put at a campsite long enough to have time for some viewing. Usually running around sightseeing and wind up in bed as soon as it's dark. I'm looking forward to a lazy trip.

So how do you fit in the bed and bathroom?

Jamie
Old 11-30-2003, 08:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Hi Guys: I asked about changing the bulbs and haven't gotten a straight answer yet. I think they probably pop out. They are loose and you can push them around.
Have either of you gotten a new 16CCD manual?
Brad: Did you get the rear wrap around windows?

Cheers, Linda
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

The TT fits me fine (I lied; I'm really 5-10). We were really suprised to see how much leg room there is on the table/conversion bed. It would fit someone 6feet without problems. No new manual, although I hope AS is planning on it. I tore out all sections not pertaining to the 16, but its obvious there is a lot missing. I forgot how to turn on the heater and figured this would be carefully explained in the manual. Hah! The manufacturer-supplied info only showed how to wire the damn thing. Now I am wondering how the freshwater supply inlet for the tanks works with the fw supply thing for the hook up.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Oh, forgot.... no wrap around r. windows - although now that I see the lay out I wouldn't want them, as they would let a lot of light in, as well as less insulation value above the bed.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Brad: I'll be calling Airstream this week to ask about a few items, and the manual will be one of them.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
My mother-in-law said the wrap around rear window made the bed look like a hot tub!!! It made my wife feel better about not getting one. I agree with her and I agree with Frozen about the insulation value and light. It gets pretty chilly sleeping against the aluminum as it is.

I had to call AS to get an update for my trailer handbook. It isn't much better than the old one except the schematics for the wiring and plumbing match up now.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:25 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Re: the light bulbs; I'll bet a cookie they don't pop out. At least it would be unusual for a bulb that large to be a push-in , pull out-er. ITs around 5 below out, or I would try to see if I could unscrew one (not much to grab on to, is there?).
Old 12-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Water Inlets

Hi: Are these the water inlets we're talking about?
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

yep
Old 12-03-2003, 10:03 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
Dang! Our Pod doesn't have one. I want one!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Cool I just used my Sewer Solution for the first time...

...and I thought I'd share my observations with y'all.

First, it's a quality unit, and well thought out. It works just like it should.

Second, you'll need a Thetford to Valterra adaptor to hook it to your tank; if your trailer is laid out like mine, it will work better with about an 8" extension, so you can position it with the discharge hose pointing down.

It ain't real fast. You wouldn't want to use it with five people behind you in line at the dump station, but that's really not what it's for. IMHO, it's for those times when there's no other way to do it. If you don't need one now, you will some day!

You can buy a supposedly "second" quality direct from www.sewersolution.com for $75, although I cannot for the life of me see a defect in mine.

I used 1" PVC pipe on the discharge - I had to pump the full 10' length of the discharge hose, thru 30' of straight pipe, up a foot and a half, and thru (3) 90 degree bends, and down into the cleanout at my house. Here's a couple tips on piping that will help you out considerably, I believe:

First, do not use regular 90 degree elbows, as they add considerable flow resistance and will slow things down to a crawl. I use 1" PVC electrical conduit sweep elbows, which reduce the flow resistance quite a bit. Same stuff, same glue, more expensive, but they work wonders for the flow.

Second, if you'll be dropping into a cleanout, like I was, add an extension to drop a couple of feet down - this will let you take some advantage of a siphon effect.

Overall, I'm happy as a clam with it. It let me do something that would have otherwise been impossible!

-Don
Old 01-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Would trade for the sewer solution

With a year of use, I could not be more happy. I have yet to use that big, messy 3" hose. I agree that it is not quick, but that is a small inconvenience. I have used mine with 50ft of hose (bought from sewer solution) going up a slight incline to my cleanout and it works perfectly. There is NO way that I could empty my rig at home without the sewer solution. There may come a day when I use the old 3" hose, but it will certainly be the exception to my wishes.

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Sewer Solution

Camping World is advertising something called the Sewer Solution (their part number 16617). It uses a high velocity water jet to pull sewage from the RV sewer pipe and eject it from a small-diameter discharge hose.

Looks interesting, but has anyone had any experience with this or a similar device? It seems to perform sort of the same function as a macerator pump. I'd like to eliminate that big floppy sewer hose if possible.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
Camping World is advertising something called the Sewer Solution (their part number 16617). It uses a high velocity water jet to pull sewage from the RV sewer pipe and eject it from a small-diameter discharge hose.

Looks interesting, but has anyone had any experience with this or a similar device? It seems to perform sort of the same function as a macerator pump. I'd like to eliminate that big floppy sewer hose if possible.

Bob
I have thought about these and see a big down side with my rig. The shower drains into the main dump pipe and if the sewer gismo ever fails to work the black water will back up into the shower pan.
I guess I'm a chicken and will not be using one of those things.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

I'm new to camping, but it's the only thing I've ever used and it works great. I carry the larger hose along, but have never used it.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:04 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Merged 3 threads with same topic. Have fun!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote