Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Sewer Hose Needed

So, who makes the nicest sewer hose system???
Centerville, OH
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Sewer Hose Needed

Many differing options and opinions. We switched to Sewer Solutions several years ago with no regrets. Not the best if you utilize dump stations.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are also big fans of the Sewer Solution. We have been using it for over ten years. We would never go back to the slinky. We do carry a slinky for quick gray water dumps at a dump station.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Rhino seems to hold up the best for me. I have a 10' and a 20'. I also carry the Sewer Solution for when I am parked at a FHU site for more than a few days.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Rhino flex is pretty good. But buy a solid elbow to use instead of the swivel elbow that comes with the kit. I had to put on a larger tube under the trailer for the Rhino also. But overall it works well now. I replace the hose every couple of years. I like the fairly positive connectors on the Rhino.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I have the Rhino Flex as well and it seems to be on par with any of the more expensive hoses out there. I am pretty happy with it.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-sewer-ho...SAAEgLfn_D_BwE
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Carry an unused stinky slinky for "Justin Case" episodes.

I normally sit connected with a Sewer Solution and a short clear extension connected to my dump valve plumbing with the Gray tank dump valve open, and the Black tank dump valve closed.

Go-to is a SewerSolution system, a spare 'dirty' garden hose, a two-way valve, and a couple 3' hose sections used as follows:

I connect the 'dirty' hose to the campground spigot, run it near my utility connection area (roadside rear). The two-way garden hose valve goes on the end of that hose. The two short hoses connect the two-way valve to the black tank flush fitting on the AS, and the flush fitting on the SewerSolution vacuum breaker. I leave the campground spigot turned off unless I'm flushing tanks.

When I flush tanks, I turn on the spigot, and use the two-way valve to provide water to the Sewer Solution to first pump effluent. When it runs clean, I close the Gray dump valve, and open the Black dump. Simultaneously, I provide water for ONLY a minute or two, to the Black Flush AS Fitting to help break up the 'stuff'. When it starts running out of effluent, I activate the flusher again for a minute or two. A couple cycles of this, with the Sewer Solution pumping and breaking up the black tank effluent, gets the black tank clean and empty. I then close the black tank valve, and use the Sewer Solution switched to flush to rinse out the plumbing from the valves to the campground sewer thoroughly until I can see the Sewer Solution clear part is thoroughly clean, and the hose is probably now nice and clean.

At this point, I shut off all the water at the campground spigot. If I'm traveling, it's now time to disconnect and store all this stuff. If I'm staying, I re-open the gray tank drain like before, and go about my business.

And yeah, I usually wear a nice set of disposable Latex gloves for this evolution, and keep the dilute Clorox solution in the spray bottle handy for sanitizing surfaces and cleaning spills. A handy-dandy kneeling pad save the creaky old knees, and an LED headband flashlight lets me see in the dark...

All the sewer-related stuff is stowed in the rear bumper storage, far from potable water hoses, etc. Potable water hoses and electrical cable goes in a clean collapsible crate in the back of the TV.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry - I stopped reading when you said you connect the “dirty” hose to the campground spigot. You’re connecting a hose you use to flush you black tank to the spigot we use for city water? That sounds wrong....I’ll go back and finish reading....maybe I’m missing something [emoji50]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Um, terminology problem?

I call it the 'dirty hose' to distinguish it from the potable water hose.

It is rigorously separated from the potable water equipment for good reason, however, it's kept just as clean as the potable hose...

A better name would be the 'utility hose', i.e. the one NOT used for potable water.

Keep in mind this hose is ONLY connected to the permanently-installed vacuum breaker on the Sewer Solution device AND the black flush connection which has another permanently-installed vacuum breaker behind it. It NEVER makes a direct connection or contact with any black or gray water system. If your black and gray system does not have appropriate vacuum breakers/backflow preventers for the flushing connections on it, then shame on you...

I also use it for washing the Airstream upon occasion.

It's just not rated for potable water, which is typically the white or blue 'food safe' materials hose used strictly for filling fresh water tanks, or with an appropriate regulator, connecting to the AS city water connection. This potable water shore connection hose gets thoroughly flushed and a good shot of bleach run through it before it gets used to fill or connect. It lives in it's own labeled storage bag, (I have two of them) drained, with the ends screwed together while in storage.

The campground spigot gets a spray of Clorox and water solution before I connect anything to it, because I have no idea what got connected to it before I got there... The problem, as I see it, is that you only have one spigot to connect to--and if you are lucky, you get two valves.

The "utility hose" has it's own marked bag, is stored the same way, and gets sanitized before and after use just like the potable water one--Clorox is your friend in the great outdoors, next to gallons of boiling water to sanitize ALL dishware after it has been 'washed' by the kids and adults when backpacking..and I used a sodium hypochlorite (bleach) tablet or three in that sanitization water. Stinks of chlorine, but the microbes and viruses are dead, dead, dead...and my fingers got toasted from the hot utensils--but it's worth it.

Keep in mind that I'm very good at camping sanitation. Over 15 years of being a Boy Scout Adult Leader, hundreds of trips, and nobody ever got sick when I or one of my sons was in charge of the food and camp sanitation...we won't talk about the results the one time we were not on the trip...

And, as you can see, if I listed all the details, the post would be even more huge...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Got it now - thanks for clarifying!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #11
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
10,000 miles so far on my 25' rhino hose and it still works great. I like how small it collapses too.

I have four people (two teens) in my trailer. We eat a lot of tacos. Hose takes a beating!
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Has anyone found a dump hose that fits in the factory tube that lasts at least a couple years?

A lot of times i will stay in water/elect ONLY because thats all thats availablea and I don't need full hookup all the time .
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Has anyone found a dump hose that fits in the factory tube that lasts at least a couple years?

A lot of times i will stay in water/elect ONLY because thats all thats availablea and I don't need full hookup all the time .
Make your own:
Camco 39611-X RV HTS 20-Feet Standard Sewer Hose
Camco 39432 RV C-Do 2 Clear 45 Degree Hose Adapter Sewer Fitting
Camco 39543-X RV Twist Connect Kit Sewer Fitting

Mine fits even with the clear elbow.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Make your own:
Camco 39611-X RV HTS 20-Feet Standard Sewer Hose
Camco 39432 RV C-Do 2 Clear 45 Degree Hose Adapter Sewer Fitting
Camco 39543-X RV Twist Connect Kit Sewer Fitting

Mine fits even with the clear elbow.
Fits in factory storage tube? I thought it was 10 footer or less. This is on a bambi 19, too.

I'll check your parts list after work.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #15
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Fits in factory storage tube? I thought it was 10 footer or less. This is on a bambi 19, too.

I'll check your parts list after work.
Compresses to 27.5”.

I actually use two 10’ hoses and most times one is enough.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Compresses to 27.5”.

Gotcha . I'll look at it this afternoon.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Compresses to 27.5”.

Got them in my wish list. Now I just have to find some other items to add to the cart. They are all add-on's.

Thanks for the idea. I'll give that combo a try.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Another Sewer Solution fan. We have used one for many years. We do have a slinky with us just in case we need it (which has never happened).

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Another Sewer Solution fan. We have used one for many years. We do have a slinky with us just in case we need it (which has never happened).

Tim
Tim, I am a huge fan of the Sewer Solution. BUT had a lesson lately that nearly turned me off for life. Got stuck in a flooded campground... Airstream on the highest ground, but 7+ inches of rain and tidal overflow due to winds left the exit route easily above the door (forget the belly pan and subfloor) so I stuck it out for over a week. Lack of drinkable water and food meant that the truck and I went shopping. Thanks Walmart for delivery to the truck.

The clothing I wore to and from shopping...ugh! Dog puke smell plus covered with grass clippings and small aquatic creatures. I threw out clothing, but a lot of obstructive crud went down the drain. 2 hours trying to keep the SS from clogging and dumping so many gallons thru the sink, shower and toilet.... whew.... exhausted and frustrated.

Keep the slinky. Use it if you even suspect something is lurking in either tank. Once you pull the handle, you're guaranteed a 3 gallon spill even after you close it.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #20
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post

Tim
Does the Sewer Solution fit in the AS storage tube?