Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

2021 22' Caravel
Minneapolis , MN
Question Sewer Hose Doesn't Fit Back in Tube

Hello AS Community, this is my first post about our brand new 2021 Caravel 22FB. My wife and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of this community and explore the country. We are on our inaugural trip and hooked up water for the first time last night! I bought two 10' Camco sewer hoses that are connected and were stored below in the under carriage hose tube, it fit great. When packing up this morning I tried to push it back in and now it doesn't fit! Twisted, turned, jiggled, and pushed; it won't go back in. Fortunately we only flushed grey water through it. Am I missing something? How did it fit perfectly after purchase, but after a single use comes up about 2.5' short of fitting back in?
For the time being I've detached the link. 10' went back in the hose tube and the other 10' went in the bumper compartment. I'm a little nervous about this though when we actually flush the black tank. Any advice or have others run into this?
spit0035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Nelson , British Columbia
Yes the slinky seems to get longer after one use and is reluctant to return to its layer.

I now use a Rhino slinky. It snaps into a short version of itself for storage. Also, it extends to just the needed length so you don't end up with a extra corners and twists that impede flow.

Recommended.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...8312p.html#srp

Scott
sdwilsonsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by spit0035 View Post
Hello AS Community, this is my first post about our brand new 2021 Caravel 22FB. My wife and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of this community and explore the country. We are on our inaugural trip and hooked up water for the first time last night! I bought two 10' Camco sewer hoses that are connected and were stored below in the under carriage hose tube, it fit great. When packing up this morning I tried to push it back in and now it doesn't fit! Twisted, turned, jiggled, and pushed; it won't go back in. Fortunately we only flushed grey water through it. Am I missing something? How did it fit perfectly after purchase, but after a single use comes up about 2.5' short of fitting back in?
For the time being I've detached the link. 10' went back in the hose tube and the other 10' went in the bumper compartment. I'm a little nervous about this though when we actually flush the black tank. Any advice or have others run into this?
Do you have end-caps on the hoses? if so, air pressure inside will prevent them from fully collapsing.
grumblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had that problem with the Thetford hose. Green and black?
I got so frustrated with an expensive hose that refused to slinky down after one use, that I donated it at a dump station!
Now I went with the Camco Rhino-flex and no problems going back to accordion. Rather than push on one end, see if you can collapse it a foot at a time. I made some devices of 1/2" PVC. I'm thinking of redoing them to use the caps included, then they'd fit in the tube. Obviously, one end has to unscrew, but there's PVC fittings like Legos.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Sewer Hose Doesn't Fit Back in Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblin View Post
Do you have end-caps on the hoses? if so, air pressure inside will prevent them from fully collapsing.

Odds are this is the issue, my trick is to push into the tube with one end cap loose so air can escape, until it’s far enough in so you can put the tube end cap on, pull out slightly and lock the hose end cap. Then put on tube end cap.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
So far I've avoided the end caps because I like the hose drying out with air flow.
I'm afraid I'd find a science project inside if left wet.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I find 10’ of slinky is adequate for every site I have stayed at, but keep the second 10’ section as a spare.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Dayton , Ohio
I find with our 2020 Caravel that the Viper RV hose (2 10' sections) must be coupled (connected sections) and that I have to be very firm pushing with the cover cap aligned properly to get a secure closure.-- really firm. Other hoses without swiveling ends work better for storage but not necessarily for the disposal process. I do not use end caps. Love our Caravel also. Have fun!
ta1cruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
As to not wanting a poopy hose, ALWAYS dump the grey tank AFTER the black tank.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I have a Rhino Flex 15 foot. I store mine in the bumper compartment.
Yes, always dump the black water tank first. Then flush the black tank. Follow up by dumping the gray water.

Welcome to the community
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
I have a Rhino Flex 15 foot. I store mine in the bumper compartment.

Yes, always dump the black water tank first. Then flush the black tank. Follow up by dumping the gray water.

Welcome to the community

We used to do that and kept the extra 10ft hose in tube think we used it once maybe twice in a year. Then added and extra tube for the 15 freed up the rear bumper storage. [emoji106]
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Port Richey , Florida
Sewer hose

After use, the sewer hoses tend to stretch a bit. We can only fit a 10’ sewer hose in our underbelly compartment and store a 15’ in the bumper. After a good flush and end caps in place you won’t have to worry about spills.
Jstsal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I bought Camco RhinoFlex 20' kit from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I flush out black water first then grey water. Then I flush out again with clean water, then its mostly cleaned out. I put end caps on both hoses and put them in bumper storage. It doesn't leak in the bumper because of the caps.

I love the RhinoFlex hoses, you can press both ends to make it down to 3 feet, when needed, you can extend the hose to full 10'. I had to use both at one campground everytime I go there. I threw away the previous owner's hose, it was not a good one.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Is the exterior of the hose clean? I had this problem once. It was caused by sand preventing full hose compression.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I've added tubes to my 25FB. Camping World sells them. https://www.campingworld.com/adjusta...ports-carriers.

They can be pop riveted to the underbelly supports on one side and to the pan on the other side of the tube mount tabs.. I carry two flex hoses and three black tank flush/grey water drain hoses. A fourth tube is perfect for fishing rods.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
Is the exterior of the hose clean? I had this problem once. It was caused by sand preventing full hose compression.
Yes as long as you do not spill anything out of the hose. I clean the hose with clean water, it is not slow moving water but more like rapid moving water through inside the hose.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Grandkids

When we finish with the hose we just toss it in the back seat and let the grandkids play with it during the long rides home. They end up playing telephone with it or running a ping pong ball back and forth through it. Keeps them entertained and it is way cheaper than an IPAD.
Glampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Brook Park , Ohio
No-go Camco

I don’t by any Camco junk. Problem solved. And avoid anything that is “new” or “improved.” It’s a dump hose. Nice shiny orange connectors doesn’t mean it will work better, store better or last longer.
chdeatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
Get a urine-diverting composting toilet, such as a C-Head https://www.c-head.com/
You’ll never have to deal with sewage again.
The black tank in my Airstream Globetrotter has NEVER seen any sewage.
I’ve never had to deal with a stinky slinky.
Justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinfinity View Post
Get a urine-diverting composting toilet, such as a C-Head https://www.c-head.com/
You’ll never have to deal with sewage again.
The black tank in my Airstream Globetrotter has NEVER seen any sewage.
I’ve never had to deal with a stinky slinky.
You still have to dump your gray water, so you still have to deal with a sewer hose (and a dump station), which is what the post is about.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote