Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #61
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jack, I don't have the SS. I think it has a pump and a garden hose system, but I may be confusing that with something else. Certainly a garden hose will move less than a slinky sized hose, though a pump may move more. The small inner diameter of the hose (usually 1/2" or 5/8") has a limit much, much lower than 3 or 4" slinkies, so the pump would have to be pretty powerful to make up for the diameter difference. My thought was that if the tank empties slowly, there is less pressure to move the solids and thus the tank doesn't get very clean. Over time, that may build up.

If the SS allows you to backflush, then that would move some more solids out. The fuller the tank is, the more hydrostatic pressure to clean the tank.

We have an attachment called Flush King which allows us to backflush the tank and get it cleaner. It is clear plastic, so we can see when the water changes to clear. This year we started using a solution of water softener and dish detergent in the black tank after we drain it. This is supposed to keep it cleaner by dissolving oils and cleaning the walls better. it should make it harder for solids to stick to the walls. Our experience is we have to backflush about 40-50% less than we had to before.

Nobody likes dealing with the black tank. It seems the SS is marketed to make the experience less gross. I don't see how that can be, but I've never used one. I do know that men seem to get the ugly things to do and this is the prime one. We should organize and refuse to drain the black tank until our wives take the garbage out.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I use a Rhino flex it has all the couplers and its a 15 ft extendable hose.Approx $29.00
I would also suggest a clear 6inch coupler(it goes on first) as it makes it easier to see when the tank is empty and when you flush it your able to tell when its clean.Approx $10.0

The cheap short hoses are worthless and a pain in the A**
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I have a brand new SS that I have never hooked up. I would have had to extend the connector to clear the bumper and just didn't feel it was worth the trouble. Never have had any problem with the slinky probably had some $$ burning a hole in my pocket. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #64
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
Never have had any problem with the slinky probably had some $$ burning a hole in my pocket. Sal
Next time put it in a fireproof safe.

Gene
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Have about 20 months total use with Sewer Solution without complaints. Very glad to have this product and no problems with it. Keeps me and the site clean of sewage. I use the Airstream tank flush system to flush the tank, and use an RV water softener for all water into the trailer, which makes everything easier to clean.

I'm not particularly squeamish, but find the slinky disgusting compared to the SS which is clean to connect/disconnect and use. Also more compact hose. I have stored it in the rear bumper box or pickup bed. Still have the slinky tube on the trailer, maybe I'll find a use for it.

If it ever fails will not hesitate to shell out a $112 for a new one.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
Thanks for the tip, Doug. I'll look into the SS thing.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I remember reading somewhere on the Forum that the Rhinoflex does not fit completely into the storage tube due to the width of the tabs on the female connector? But I assume they could be cutoff or ground down?
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jack, the various models (another one is Revolution) with permanently attached ends will not fit in the storage compartment under the trailer. We put ours in a large plastic box with other sewer things (connections to campground sewer, Flush King, gloves, dedicated hose for backflushing) in the back of the pickup. We also have extra slinky there since on rare occasions we need an extra 10'.

Gene
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I have the Rhinoflex, and I cut off the ears and store it in the tube. I also carry an extra 10' section in the back sliding drawer with an extra female fitting so I can use it either as an extension or connection to the blue boy.
extiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
I have both SS and a Rhinoflex and have found that when going to alot of dump sites there are other people waiting to dump and the SS takes longer as it is a smaller diameter hose and it requires hooking up to a water line to flush the black water tank.So I use the Rinoflex the majority of the time.As to the Rhinoflex being messy or disgusting I have not found this to be true.I always dump black water first then dump the grey water (which is mostly soapy water)doing it in that order cleans the Rinoflex.After that I rinse the Rinoflex with a shot of water and store in the bumper area.Never any smell or mess.And the time it takes is much less than the SS and wastes far less water.I is also more considerate to fellow campers who are waiting for you to finish dumping. My 2 cents
Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Here is a link to SS video so you can see how it works

Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
Thanks for the Youtube link, Mo. It's an interesting contraption and it would be useful when needing to discharge uphill. I wonder if it would be something usable on a full-time basis.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I purchased a SS with optional hose yesterday to have as an "uphill" option in addition to a 6" piece of 3" clear pipe and put these in the rear bumper tray along with a 15' slinky with three 5' extensions.

The gotcha is having to have a close fresh water hydrant with good pressure to create the venturi action sucking stuff out of the 3" pipe and pushing it down the 1" hose. There are no moving parts in the end cap that attaches to the 3" pipe.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
I carry both the stinky slinky and the SS.

Airstreams are unique in that they are built closer to the ground than the SOB's. As a result, the sewer connections are lower to the ground. We have been in several campsites that have built-up sewer connectors and in some cases the stinky slinky won't work at all. Basic physics. It won't flow uphill.

Because of the "pump effect" created by the water inlet hose, the SS allows the waste to be "pumped" uphill. We have had as much as a 6 inch lift between our sewer drain and the campsite's inlet. The SS works beautifully in this environment.

Maybe it does flow uphill after all. Hmmm. . .
flynaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
After reading the many posts, I think my problem may be a lack of sufficient water pressure to move the waste quickly. And, that may be caused due to the two "Y" connectors I use between the faucet and the SS. I'll see how a new set up works next spring. i would prefer not to carry both, but right now my first choice is the Slinky.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As a inexperienced owner reading the forums, I discover many items that others found were "useful" or "necessary" in their travels. I often elect to acquire some of these items for the piece of mind that it is aboard.

However, remembering where "it" is may be as much as a problem as the problem itself.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
One would think that a $70,000 RV would come with a sewer hose like it comes with a shore power cord. It's kind of like buying a new Cadillac, and then having to go to an accessory store and buy a steering wheel for it.

It doesn't really make any sense, but it's the way of the RV world.

Brian
Right when you are about to sign the papers for your new trailer, put down the pen and look at the salesman and ask if there is water and waste hoses in the camper. Im sure he will do anything at that point.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #78
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink If you think of it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
As a inexperienced owner reading the forums, I discover many items that others found were "useful" or "necessary" in their travels. I often elect to acquire some of these items for the piece of mind that it is aboard.

However, remembering where "it" is may be as much as a problem as the problem itself.
How to cut the problem in half......maybe.

If while "packing", instead of asking, "did we bring"....you make sure it's brought.

If it's your thought, it's your duty.

Bob
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
After reading the many posts, I think my problem may be a lack of sufficient water pressure to move the waste quickly. And, that may be caused due to the two "Y" connectors I use between the faucet and the SS. I'll see how a new set up works next spring. i would prefer not to carry both, but right now my first choice is the Slinky.
You need to be careful picking out those "Y" connectors, the next time you go to a store with several different "Y" connectors look through them and compare the size of the openings in the valves, some are less then 1/4".
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
newbie help please... We almost picked up our new 16' today. Few issues still to be resolved. But anyway I bought the 15' Valterra Viper hose for the sewer and was unable to cram all of it into the storage tube under the trailer, nor could the technician doing our walk through. removed the cap, etc... What did I do/buy incorrectly?

thanks,
Lee
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote