Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Thetford

Thetford is the larger. Here's a link to camping world...
Thetford Replacement Sewer Fittings - Camping World

The hose diameters are all the same.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #42
_

. , .
hi '67...

i don't read any contradictions....

when was your trailer built and what color is the outlet?

early classic models have thetford and later ones have valterra.

valterra outlets are usually black and thetford are usually white

the thetfords are larger diameter and the valterra smaller.

needing an adapter is mentioned very early in this thread...

there is a simple adapter that allows thetford folks to use valterra fittings...

VALVE CAPS AND ADAPTERS

on this page...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #43
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mea Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic67
So who has the RIGHT answer? ... Please come forward...
I was not aware that Airstream may have changed connectors in mid 2005. In my case, on a fairly early 2005, it is the Thetford, which is the larger size connector and, IMHO, by far the better quality. If you have the larger size, you have Thetford.

Thetford adapters are hard to find, no question. Camping World does carry them. I carry a spare trailer-end connector with me. If I ever lose a hose, I can get the rest of the hose and connectors at just about any RV store, or even WalMart. The spare cost me about $10 and I have loaned others my spare several times when they lost a hose or had breakage of an old connector.

Just remember that the only thing that is Thetford unique is the trailer-end connector. Al else can be common, no matter what brand you buy.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #44
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Alot of contradiction in this thread has me REALLY confused.

In Post # 12 Pahaska says .. all Classics have Thetford connectors

In Post # 30, 2airishuman says:

a/s started using valterra fitting on ALL models in mid 2005. my classic is valterra."

My '05 Classic has the larger of the two, is that the Thetford or the Valterra?

I had a problem on our first outing becuase our dealer gave me a kit with the smaller connector that DIDN'T FIT onto our '05 Classic's larger connector. And the supply store at the RV site only sold the seemingly standard smaller size connectors. I was in a heap of trouble, but found the connector (which was a pain to connect the hose to).

So what does my '05 Classic have? The Thetford as Pahaska suggests, or the Valterra that 2airishuman suggests?

And I second the assertions from others here that none of the camping supply stores designate a different size, and that they only seem to sell the smaller size which DOESN'T fit my '05 Classic's larger sewer drain connector, whatever the name may be!!!

So who has the RIGHT answer? and more importantly an online link to what adapter is needed to be able to use the smaller conectors all of the supply stores seem to only carry... Please come forward...
Perhaps your '05 was either a late '04 that was titled as an '05 or an early '05 that was built before the change from Thetford to Valtera. It is not unlike Airstream to make changes to the products they use in mid-year production.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #45
Craftsman

Here's another vote for Sewer Solution. Its the only way to dump.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Some additional considerations

I have made my own list and have some additions or advice for this topic.

I always connect my potable fresh water lines first before touching the sewer connections (that's at hook up and disconnect). This insures I never cross pollinate any fluids. I also have a small spray bottle with 20% bleech solution I spray on my fresh water hose connections before unhooking the ends (I always connect the ends to keep out trash and bugs) and on the trailer connections just in case.

Use gloves - buy them by the box full - they fail more often then the sewer hoses do. Learn how to take them off without touching the contaminated areas of the glove. Try not to reuse them .
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
John, apparently you and I are in the same boat then based on build date. As Minnie's mate points out in #44, my '05 Classic 31 Dinette indeed has a build stamp of July '04 (A real early '05 in that case).

I guess my frustration comes from the fact that I had alot of trouble finding the match on our inital outing, followed by the difficulty of getting the smaller diameter hose over the Larger Thetford which was secured with the old standby - duct tape.

My inquiry above is becuase I am still trying to get the connection solved properly with all of the proper the sized parts.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
classic67 - get the adaptor - it's only a couple of bucks and this will allow you to connect to all the NEW stuff out there. I have one for my 66 Caravel and it works great.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Asked several times before and no-one seems to have the answer. Has the sewer connections on RVs been standardized? Thetford or Valterra, When at any RV supply store [Camping World Etc.] I have never seen in print or otherwise, "For Thetford" or "For Valterra". Seems to me, if it does not specify what they fit, then they fit all! [Except maybe antiques or vintage RVs.]

Bob [/quote]

Hi, Finally, my question has been answered. Valterra is the standard sewer connection size and Thetford requires an adapter. Thank You for solveing the mystery.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
classic67 - get the adaptor - it's only a couple of bucks and this will allow you to connect to all the NEW stuff out there. I have one for my 66 Caravel and it works great.
Maybe it's becuase most sites aren't using the brand/trade names being mentioned here -or- I am looking in the wrong places. But where (online or otherwise) is this adapter being sold? I have yet to find an adapter that says it's a Thetford-to-Valterra adapter.

I'm sure Airstream or the dealers can make it easier on us newbies than this...
Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #51
_

. , .
Quote:
But where (online or otherwise) is this adapter being sold? I have yet to find an adapter that says it's a Thetford-to-Valterra adapter.
did you look at the link i supplied already?

VALVE CAPS AND ADAPTERS

the last adapter on the page is called a "universal adapter" and the description is specifically...

Converts Thetford system to Valterra/Grentec/Anonda caps and hose adapters.

scroll down to the last adapter on that page...

besides there is only 2 sizes so ALL the adapters that connect 'large to small' are intented to convert thetford to valterra...

the one available from camping world does exactly the same thing...

this isn't that complicated folks...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
.....yeah but you know the Valterra is good and all, but the Thetford doesn't crash nearly as often, and you know, the software is more readily available... and then there's that new FW800 capability of the Sewer Solution versus Flush King, but then Flush King has the 802.11g wireless protocol..... gosh, so many decisions!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #53
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
.....but then Flush King has the 802.11g wireless protocol.....

what a great idea....

using wireless to dump waste...

now that is a gadget that would sell baby!

i wonder what my storage capacity is....on the other end?

cheers
2air'

Old 12-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #54
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm with Dave:

let's just hope they don't all go to the widescreen 1080p standard. there's only so much realism I can stand. And Emeril talks about smell-o-vision.

pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
did you look at the link i supplied already?

VALVE CAPS AND ADAPTERS

the last adapter on the page is called a "universal adapter" and the description is specifically...

Converts Thetford system to Valterra/Grentec/Anonda caps and hose adapters.

scroll down to the last adapter on that page...

this isn't that complicated folks...

cheers
2air'
Thanks for the link, 2air.
Complicated, probably not with the right fittings. Confusing though for me when all of the RV stores nearby seem to only know about the "standard" size which I guess is actually the smaller size. Even the Airstream dealer gave me a sewer kit that didn't fit. Go figure. Thanks for the help, the adapter has now been ordered.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
I'm with Dave:

let's just hope they don't all go to the widescreen 1080p standard. there's only so much realism I can stand. And Emeril talks about smell-o-vision.

pat
Man, that's one smell-o-vision where I'd be looking for the MUTE button!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:48 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
Similar subject, but slightly off....I'm looking into setting up my trailer at home for use by overnight guests and more pending...my son who will be returning home from college to live (indefinately) upon graduation in May. I have the electric and water hook up figured out but am looking for advice on the sewer end. No pun intended. we have a septic tank and it currently has a circular cement cover. I was wondering if anyone can suggest how/where I might gat my hands on a cover that has the sewer hook up for the hose from the trailer so I can just set it up to dump directly into the septic? Have any of you encountered this and if so how did you solve it? any adice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:50 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
please pardon the typos, I can't find my glasses at the moment
Old 12-31-2006, 06:54 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Bob, I got the sewer solution but I have not tried it yet. I will try it at the get together. After reading these posts I hope it is compatible. Otherwise I guess I will be using my old leaky big hose. I thought you din't have any plumbing?
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky5
Similar subject, but slightly off....I'm looking into setting up my trailer at home for use by overnight guests and more pending...my son who will be returning home from college to live (indefinately) upon graduation in May. I have the electric and water hook up figured out but am looking for advice on the sewer end. No pun intended. we have a septic tank and it currently has a circular cement cover. I was wondering if anyone can suggest how/where I might gat my hands on a cover that has the sewer hook up for the hose from the trailer so I can just set it up to dump directly into the septic? Have any of you encountered this and if so how did you solve it? any adice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Sounds like you have the solution all figured out youself. Cast a new cover - they are just concrete - with 4" PVC pipe through the new one and hook the sewer hose from the camper to it like you would at the campground. When done with that setup put a cap over it without glue or glue on a screw cap and just screw on a sewer cap. You may need to think of sewer gasses venting back into the camper for the long haul but if you shut the valves on the camper that should not be an issue. You have vents on the trailer now and that should take care of it anyway.