Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
full time in canada/US , British Columbia
Septic system ideas

Hi, we are moving our airstream onto some land, where we have water, electricity but at the moment not septic. The trailer is going to be hard to get in, so trundling off to dump, not an option. We can trickle the grey out, the surrounding fruit trees and gardens will appreciate that!

Issue is what to do with the other waste. There is a septic system for the house, which i think is up a hill... close to where we are the weeping field (think that's how it goes).

Does anyone have any good articles, or clever ideas on how we can rig things up to be able to live on that land septic-ly speaking!
khadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
You could get a macerator pump and it would pump the chopped output from your black tank uphill to your septic tank through a small hose...

Thought this was a good article - http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/12/31/rv-macerator-pump
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If the trailer is on a permanent site one could always install a dedicated septic and drain field. If it's summer use only another possibility is a sealed pit and a sewage lift pump. They look like a sump pump, but they will pump sewage with no problems. I have two mounted in apartment stairwells. They pump twigs, candy wrappers, anything that fits into the inlet.

They have an outlet to fit 2" plastic pipe. They use a float switch like a sump pump. They're used a lot around here in sealed pits, for homes where the sceptics are in berms. Quite common.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
natures head! (Composting Toilet)Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally sustainable waterless toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig, Barn, Workshop, or Yurt!
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
RV chemicals in household septic

I like the macerator pump idea but I am concerned about putting the RV chemicals in the regular household septic. Might this be a problem?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are several additives that are safe to use in your septic system.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
If you have the pump, why even spend the money on the blue stuff? Just don't put chemical in the tank, and empty every few days.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
You didn't say what the distance is between house and site. Macerator pump with a bit of water should work. Problem with the "Sewer Solutions" product is that it depends on water for maceration and carrying the waste away, using too much water for daily use and wouldn't do a good job if too long a distance and too big a hill.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
wow, thanks all for the helpful advice. I'll have to measure the distance, pretty sure it's at lest 50 ft or more. I don't find the blue stuff works well, so typically don't put anything in the tank, but i have heard if you are going to dump into houshold septic, not to use it.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
rodanthe , North Carolina
What brand/model? I'm looking at macerator pumps but this sounds like something different?
fridder13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
After spending a few months on the land, and hoofing it up to the washroom in the house as we contemplated the options, we've decided on the composting toilet. By all accounts the Natures Head is the best. I contacted two people who are living full time in rv's and use them so i feel that's the best reference! thanks for all the advice all.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
We have a septic tank but no way to dump into it without digging out the lid and removing it. Does anyone have any ideas how to put a a fitting into the tank so I can dump? I suppose I'll have to drill into the concrete case and install a fitting. Any ideas??
Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Any concrete cutter with a core drill can drill the hole in the top. Then just install a 6" PVC stack with a removable cap and you're all set. My cutter has a gas powered core drill. Slab jackers have core drilling equipment too.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Most tanks have multiple openings high on the side that a 4 inch pipe can go in.. You could also T into the line from the house with a riser to dump in.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Yeah, I thought about digging down and teeing into the plastic pipe. Will need to check into that and probe around a bit in the yard.
Thanks for all the ideas folks.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In general it is far less work to T into the existing drain line.

You might want to check local codes since some jurisdictions have all kinds of rules about septic systems.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Most tanks have multiple openings high on the side that a 4 inch pipe can go in.. You could also T into the line from the house with a riser to dump in.
Shouldn't need to go that far. I have yet to see a sewer installation that doesn't include at least one cleanout plug between the house and the tank, usually close to the house foundation. Find the cleanout plug, remove the cap, and dump there. Cap it again when you're done. If you're using a macerator pump, you won't be discharging all the time, only when the holding tanks get close to full, so you don't need to keep it permanently connected to the cleanout plug.

If you go with a macerator pump, insert a "Y" fitting upstream of the pump, so you can run both your blackwater and graywater tanks to it. Discharge the black tank first, then the gray tank to rinse the line. Also, use a clear discharge line, so you can see when you're done pumping; macerator pumps overheat easily if you run them dry for too long.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I lived in my Overlander for 2 years while renovating an old bungalow. The septic had I believe, a 4" pvc clean out next to the house. I took the standard screw in cap off, drilled a hole in it and glued in a pvc 90 degree elbow with threads for a garden hose. I connected that to the cap on my trailer and let the gray water flow on a regular basis. When it was time to dump the black tanks, I simply hooked up my macerator between the trailer and the garden hose, and in 10 minutes everything was emptied. Pretty simple. Not messy at all. Macerators are great.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I have a sewer solution and won't be pumping uphill so yeah, the line into the septic sure doesn't need to be very big.