Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
Retrofit a Home Septic Manhole Cover with RV Dump Hole

I have a septic system right next to where I store my trailer. It has two sewer manhole covers, neither of which have a smaller hole that would allow for an RV dump without having to remove the whole cover - which is not an option for me [manhole cover is too heavy].

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a manhole cover that has a built in port for RV dumping? I'd sure like to avoid the lines at the end of the weekend!
WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Restoration of my 1966 Caravel: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f13...on-210688.html
Start at Post #7.
Flostream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
When we did our septic we put a clean out between the tank and the house. It works perfect and I rarely dump at the park.

My big cover is plastic. Is yours?
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Peter’s idea is sound. I use the clean out at our house to dump a tote at the end of a trip.
Every house has a clean out. You just need to find it.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
We just had major plumbing work done at our home. I had the plumbers install a clean out right next to where I park the Airstream. It's so nice to have it available to use after a trip, when wanting to do extra cleaning of the tank etc...

Without knowing the specifics of your particular sewer fitting, it's hard to say what you should use but, you can google sewer clean out fittings as a start...there are lots of options. I hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
.... and here is something I just found when I googled Manhole Spill Covers....this may be an option....https://www.johnwkennedyco.com/buy/p...overs/dept-2VK
Old 05-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Peter’s idea is sound. I use the clean out at our house to dump a tote at the end of a trip.
Every house has a clean out. You just need to find it.
I wish that were true. Building codes in the St. Louis suburbs don't require a clean out. Quite honestly it was the biggest mistake I made when I had this house built. I wish I would have had one put in at that time 37 years ago.....although I probably would have needed a 40' drain hose to reach from my driveway to the location of where the clean out would have been located.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I wish that were true. Building codes in the St. Louis suburbs don't require a clean out. Quite honestly it was the biggest mistake I made when I had this house built. I wish I would have had one put in at that time 37 years ago.....although I probably would have needed a 40' drain hose to reach from my driveway to the location of where the clean out would have been located.

Jack
Hi

One possible answer would be to install a clean out next to the stuff you already have. It may be easier / quicker / cheaper than mucking with weird covers. A call to the local plumber probably would answer the "how much?" question.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
Get a hole saw and one of those expanding plugs for when not in use. I use a macerator a hundred foot hose and go uphill 6-7 feet. It’s great! There isn’t any good dump stations near me. I do it a couple days after our trip.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Call the person you use to pump your septic, he’s the person that can help you best.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYard View Post
Get a hole saw and one of those expanding plugs for when not in use. I use a macerator a hundred foot hose and go uphill 6-7 feet. It’s great! There isn’t any good dump stations near me. I do it a couple days after our trip.
yer not going to find a hole saw, or a drill for that matter, capable of cutting a hole in a cast iron manhole cover!
Old 05-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
I don't think we know for sure that it is metal. That was my suspicion as well. If it's plastic I would push the easy button and cut a hole in that thing.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Another option would be to build a second septic system. Make sure you follow any local laws, but this system when built correctly and used within it's limits would work great.

https://knowledgeweighsnothing.com/how-to-build-diy-septic-system/
https://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System
For a lot of campers, (not full time) a system like this may last a lifetime and never need to be emptied.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
We just remove the septic tank cover and drop the end of the drain hose part-way into the tank then turn on the macerator which will pump the waste into the tank. Make sure the hose doesn't jump around under pressure but you can do this by putting some weight over it. Be sure to clean out and drain the black tank again, then empty the gray tank. If you don't have a macerator, and your clean-out or septic tank is at a higher level than your drain pipe, you will need to find a different solution.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
I don't think we know for sure that it is metal. That was my suspicion as well. If it's plastic I would push the easy button and cut a hole in that thing.
I figured it was cast iron when the OP said it is too heavy to lift.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #15
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flostream66 View Post
I have a septic system right next to where I store my trailer. It has two sewer manhole covers, neither of which have a smaller hole that would allow for an RV dump without having to remove the whole cover - which is not an option for me [manhole cover is too heavy].

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a manhole cover that has a built in port for RV dumping? I'd sure like to avoid the lines at the end of the weekend!
I bought a plastic septic tank cover. I cut a hole in the center of the lid and installed a threaded PVC female connection.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Villa Grande , California
Septic tanks are designed for wastewater to enter the tank through the inlet pipe. They have baffles so the sewage enters the tank without roiling the contents. Dumping sewage directly through the tank lid may stir up the floating scum layer which could cause solids to get out of the tank and into the drain field. This can damage the drain field.
It would be preferable to install a clean out in the line to the tank and dump into the clean out. It is not difficult to install a clean out.
richandwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
We had a clean out installed next to ours after the fact. The plumber didn’t seem to have an issue. Our cover is plastic and the holding tanks are some kind of heavy duty plastic. I do know when I take off my covers to clean the filter there is a heavy/ thick concrete cover under the cover and above the tanks that has to be lifted out to access the filter. All of this to say if you drill a hole in the top cover you may also have to deal with a non-plastic cover underneath that.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

You could always just dig a big round hole in the ground, place a layer of large stone in the bottom of the hole, place a metal 55 gallon drum with many 2" holes drilled in the side (or shot many time with the firearm of your choice), place drum in the hole placing large stones between the drum and the dirt wall, place a 4" pipe in the top of the drum to where it slightly rises above ground level, cover back over with dirt.

Not that the above is right/legal/etc... but it has worked for many years with no problems going back 80 years in the many hollows and hills of the USA. It was a poor mans septic system for the longest time.

Just Saying,
Old 05-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A friend.ofine bought a house with such a system, even had a certified inspector go over the whole property...but he missed the fact that the garage/hobby shop was hooked to a barrel. Cost my friend a.large.amount.of.money to fix. Several years later, sweet revenge. The old owner was a slumlord... and the county inspectors started to realize how much ground water was being affected. Properties condemned and seized... and real jail time for the offenders.

Do sincerely hope anyone who tries this gets caught before selling the property. And you can finance a proper system - plus plastic tanks are less expensive.to install and maintain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
You could always just dig a big round hole in the ground, place a layer of large stone in the bottom of the hole, place a metal 55 gallon drum with many 2" holes drilled in the side (or shot many time with the firearm of your choice), place drum in the hole placing large stones between the drum and the dirt wall, place a 4" pipe in the top of the drum to where it slightly rises above ground level, cover back over with dirt.

Not that the above is right/legal/etc... but it has worked for many years with no problems going back 80 years in the many hollows and hills of the USA. It was a poor mans septic system for the longest time.

Just Saying,
Old 05-15-2021, 10:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post

Just Saying,
HUH? and what part of the boonies are you living (if you follow infection studies you will find it has not been safe for 80 years....)? Not to mention stupid...do you want to pollute your shallow well (from 80 years ago) if you are even thinking this? Oh, wait I get it - you are making a joke and we took your post for being serious.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote