Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Retro fit grey tanks, a shell off excercise?

My trade wind has a retro fitted grey water tank which is nice. It resides under the "ugly box" which is not nice. I would prefer to get rid of the ugly box all together and move the grey forward under the frame. What I am wondering is, can this work be done by removing the belly pan and approaching from the bottom, or is this one of those shell off sort of deals? I know several here have added tanks during a full monte, anyone done it with the shell on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grey tank location.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	33888  

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Shell on

Rluhr's Caravel has a grey tank supported by the axle. From what I understand, it was incorporated with a major effort.

Although Rich is currently incommunicado, I believe Colin is storing Rich's Airstream.

You might try pinging Colin for a verbal description.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
Not the greatest photos in the world, but these show the space under the back wall and the floor at the back of my 1964 trailer, without any of the belly skin in place:

Yours may not be exactly the same, of course, and you won't have the cleats that I have there holding in a floor patch unless you also repair the floor.

Anyway, removing the belly skin in that section was quite easy for me, as it was a seperate rectangular piece there. Under the back wall of the trailer was a flat piece of steel crosswise between the frame rails, with the major connection between the frame rails being the back bumper. Now, in mine that was also where the black tank was located, and if that's the case for you too, you'll need to put the grey tank somewhere else.

I plan on putting grey & fresh water tanks much further forward, but again without removing the shell, just cutting open the belly skin.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Rodney:

You can do it by taking the belly pan off. I put new GREY and BLACK tanks under my trailer. See post #37 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ase-18448.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We put a grey tank in the Trade Wind buy removing the belly pan, relocating two frame members and putting it all back together while connecting the new grey tank with the black with a new "Y" and single exit pipe. Just behind the axel so we will have great weight distribution.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
We put a grey tank in the Trade Wind buy removing the belly pan, relocating two frame members and putting it all back together while connecting the new grey tank with the black with a new "Y" and single exit pipe. Just behind the axel so we will have great weight distribution.
Neat! so you did this all from the bottom? Any pictures you would have of this would be greatly appreciated. By the way, where did you get the new tank?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Rluhr's Caravel has a grey tank supported by the axle. From what I understand, it was incorporated with a major effort.

Tom
I don't recall it being actually "supported" by the axle...it is right up close to it, though. big, too. and it hangs down quite a bit beneath the belly pan.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I had a frame of aluminum tubing made to hold the tank between the floor joists, right behind the axle. Then, wrapped the frame in the same mil aluminum and riveted. Could have done a better on the drain pipe, but. . .

I'll post photos if I can find them. All of this was on a 1961 Safari.

I just bought a 1970 Safari tonight and will be doing the same thing to it in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAYWA~1.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	35116  
Marlboro Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote