Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Agoura Hills , California
Removing bolts holding toilet- ? 61' Tradewind

Hey all, newbie here. I'm working on a '61 Tradewind, the (original!) toilet is in pretty bad shape and I think I need to replace it. However, the nuts on the two bolts holding the toilet to the floor are frozen, and when I try to unscrew them, the entire bolt rotates. Tried to get at them from underneath the trailer but I think the black water tank's in the way.

I could grind/cut the entire bolt off, but I'm worried how/if I'll be able to replace them, and what they attach to under the floor. Anybody have any advice?
TomsEid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would thing they are toilet flange bolts with the head in a toilet flange.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Okay, so if I cut the bolts off, will I be able to replace the toilet flange somehow and install new bolts? I have no idea what the toilet flange looks like under there...
Old 06-02-2016, 04:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't know if this is the same but I have to replace my Dometic 310 this weekend and have been watching videos on YouTube. If a similar setup, the heads of the bolts are in a circular flange that sits on the floor - they don't connect to the actual floor.

YouTube your particular toilet and see what you find. If it's like the one I'm describing you will have no problem just cutting the bolts. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Be careful when removing the bolts. Do not forget that the toilet basically sits on top of the black water tank. If you use too much muscle you can crack the tank. Once you get it off, the flange unscrews from the tank. Might be difficult to unscrew it. Looks like a standard toilet flange. Is the floor on top of the tank okay?

Other word of caution. Have you checked the waste valve yet? I would suspect you may have the original brass valve. I was able to rebuild mine, but I also had all the original fittings for waste hoses. If you do not have those fittings, waste hoses will not fit the old Valterra valve and you need to convert to a modern valve. There are several threads on that and you can get parts from Vintage Trailer Supply. Good luck - I love my 61, though hating the Dometic 50 right now as decided not to freeze today, just cool. You will get use to things like that!
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
When I remove my toilet I found that it only needed to be rotated counter clockwise and the whole unit came off he flange.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Thank you, everyone! Air Forums are the best. Hope to bump into all of you when I finally get this baby on the road!