Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Relocating Sewer Hose Storage Tube?

After struggling with getting the sewer hose into its tube on our 2017 28’ International, we are considering an additional tube mounted under the bumper storage compartment. Has anyone done anything like this or have thoughts about it?
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
If you mount it under the rear bumper of the trailer you will most likely end up dragging it on the ground when entering or exiting a gas station etc. due to dips at the curb. Just one example.
al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
What struggles are you having? I added a second tube for our spare dump hose and haven’t had issues with either one working well.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
The biggest issue I found with the factory-installed one, is that it is too short. Replaced with one that is almost the entire width of the trailer and I have been happy ever since.

I agree, putting it under the bumper is not a good idea. I regularly get very close to scrapping the rear-end exiting parking lots and gas stations. If there were something under the bumper, I am sure it would have been wiped off long ago.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
How can it be too short? I spent an entire year on the road, and the standard hose was totally fine. The ONLY place that required a longer hose was actually Jackson Center. Since I spent close to a month there I discussed with the mechanics to cut some longer ones and leave them there for visitors (not sure if they still are). Anyways, you can always keep a $14 extension in the bumper storage for those few times. I wouldn’t deal with the hassle of attaching another tube, in an odd location on top.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
My OEM tube was too small in diameter for a rhino hose so I replaced it with one of these. I would not mount another tube under the bumper. The location of the original works well being near the outlet. - Brad https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
How can it be too short? I spent an entire year on the road, and the standard hose was totally fine. The ONLY place that required a longer hose was actually Jackson Center. Since I spent close to a month there I discussed with the mechanics to cut some longer ones and leave them there for visitors (not sure if they still are). Anyways, you can always keep a $14 extension in the bumper storage for those few times. I wouldn’t deal with the hassle of attaching another tube, in an odd location on top.
Please define "standard hose"?
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
I am not sure what cheap, standard hose, you are using, but the one I use did not fit. It was not a hassle changing it, maybe 15 mins to swap out for the larger, longer tube in the same location as the original.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-RhinoFLE...529034287&th=1
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
Second tube no problem

We had a second tube installed on our camper at the factory. It was no big deal. When we traded to a larger airstream we had the dealer remove the second tube from our first camper and install it on the new one. it’s always better to have an extra length of Hose. The second tube is a great idea. its a convenient place to store an extra length of hose. I’ve used the extra length a couple of times on our current trip. And of coarse at Jackson Center
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I hadn't considered the issue of dragging if attached under bumper compartment.

The cap o
n the sewer hose tube is a bit tricky and usually takes time in a squatting position to fit it properly. My husband had hip replacement on both hips this past year so we were trying to find a more comfortable solution.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
If you put some silicone or Vaseline where the cap fits makes it easier to put on. I also have a tube that I keep my 3 flag poles in
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I bought my current hose at the Factory Store and it fits just fine. I can't remember the brand, but I don't think Airstream would sell a hose that would not fit their production hose containers.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #13
FLHTK & FXDWG

2003 25' Safari
Ridgeville , South Carolina
I placed a black sewer tube under my back bumper just like your asking. After doing so, I thought maybe that was a bad idea but it was just such an easy location to put it. It's been 10 years and it hasn't been hit or damaged. I use the rear tube for an additional section of sewer hose. (I've only used the second section once in 10 years) Reference dragging the back tube, I think that depends how longs your A/S.
RManchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You could install it behind the back bumper, same height as bumper sticking out a little farther back. That way you don't need to bend down as far. My father did that on his trailer, added plus when he backed into a tree it was much cheaper to replace then the bumper would have been.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:17 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Last visit to JC I had them install a second tube right behind the first. Turns out the new one is about a foot longer than the original. No hassle, works great. I’ve got 30 feet of sewer hose now if I need it.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Waterloo , Ontario
My solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarris View Post
After struggling with getting the sewer hose into its tube on our 2017 28’ International, we are considering an additional tube mounted under the bumper storage compartment. Has anyone done anything like this or have thoughts about it?
My trailer is still in storage or I would share a picture. My solution was to take a square vinyl fence post tube from BigBoxHardwareStore. The hose and couplings (but not an elbow) fit in the fence post. I mounted the fence post under the trailer with some strapping behind the wheels. This puts it right beside the dump valves, and exactly where you need it when you go to the dump station, keeps out out of more valuable storage and no problem with road clearance.
I cut about 6" off at a 45degree angle, and re-attached it with a hinge, so that there is a short "L" at the end that swings open. This is where the waste hose elbow fits. I keep it closed with a short bungee.
It goes right across the trailer. I have a few hoses, all of which are connected together. I open the storage tube and just pull out as much as I need.
I have made many mods to my trailer ... one day I hope to share them for the community. I've been very happy with this one.
Rhinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Relocating Sewer Hose Storage Tube?

I haven’t read this thread throughly, so this may have been mentioned. On my model 16’ with no lift. A tube under my bumper, I believe wouldn’t last too long. Side note, I always make sure my under carriage tube and sewer cap are easily removed before getting in line to dump at a dump station, after waiting in line at a busy station and having to abandon my turn for inability to loosen them, never again.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 12:22 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Sandy , Utah
Sewer hose carrier

Installed a Valterra A04-5094BK RV Adjustable EZ Hose Carrier with Lockable Door Cap next to the factory unit. Easy to see how they secured. Used short self tapping screws and long zip ties to the factory unit. No issues after 2500 miles and six months. Nice to get the sewer extention out of the bumper.
Rosey Jet is offline   Reply With Quote