Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Brevard , North Carolina
Relocating bath during shell off remodel

Okay, so I have read many threads on relocating the bath from the rear to the center of my 31 ft LY sovereign (1974). Most people suggest it is more work than it is worth but I also dearly desire a rear bedroom and no traffic through the bedroom to get to the bath. I have removed my shell (see my blog under my profile for pics, not sure how to post the link) and the entire subfloor. After much consideration (hours of reading air forums) I have decided to let the welders replace the main frame rails with box steel as the original flimsy ones are pretty rotten on the back half and have a slight buckle behind the axles secondary to decomposition of the steel plate that connects the frame to the rear of the shell, taking away the support of the shell and allowing the rear to sag. I know taking away flexibility of the frame is a whole other concern for another thread, so I won't go there now. Since we are down to bare frame and are basically taking it apart, surely it would be relatively easy at this point to move the bath. I am planning on upgrading the axle rating anyway. So I have a basic design planned out for tank location and interior fixtures/plumbing but I'm having trouble with the drain line from the tanks to the outside dump valve. Did the center bath models have a hole through the main rail of the frame to get the drain from the tanks to the banana skins? My current drain pipe is at least as big in diameter as the frame rail itself. If it comes through the belly skin and makes a 90 degree angle to go under the rail to the outer wall, seems like it would be a lot more exposed to damage from the outside world. With the rear bath the drain exits the belly skin as it comes up to meet the rear bumper and is then neatly enclosed by the bumper until it exits the side of the bumper, avoiding frame rails and crossmembers completely. Anyone have pictures of the tanks/drains from a 70's center bath with the floor or belly skins removed?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-534470021.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	595.8 KB
ID:	178879

Name:	image-2663735169.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	178880

Name:	image-2353604713.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	178881
Silver Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Nice thing about a blank slate is that you can do what you want. My 31' is center bath and I like it because it puts all the weight over the axles rather than cantilevered aft. I don't often travel with a full fresh water tank but there are times when you are dragging near full black and gray tanks.

Moving the tanks and replumbing will certainly require some thought but I think you will find it worth the effort.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

W. Braintree/Roxbury , Vermont
We also want to move the rear bath of our 1971 Sovereign to the center....hope you don't mind if we ask for advise, I know we will need it, in the very near future.
Shiningeagle and Doug
ShiningEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are several repair manuals floating about that have the plumbing layouts for the center bath model.

Don't worry about the frame being too stiff. These concerns are urban myths. Most frame problems are a result of rear end separation and weak attachment points to the frame. When they are new the attachment to the frame is not very good and that degrades over time. The outriggers support the sides of the shell and they are not very strong nor is having a single bolt going through the thin C-channel on the bottom of the walls. A proper way to attach the shell to the frame would be to bridge the end of the outriggers and add more outriggers. Then you can put bolts in the the C-channel every few inches instead of every few feet.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Good Morning Perry
Thanks for the information...do you know where I can find these manuals? They would be most helpful. We will be gutting the rear bath this weekend, the floor is bad in one spot. We are getting excited about working on the old girl....Doug will retire this Friday, so will have a little more time to work on it.
The next project will be the kitchen area, we are thinking of taking everything out, and replacing all the appliances. They worked when we bought it, but we kind of thinking new ones will be safer.
Will sign off, and if you have any ideas, let us know. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a grand day!

Shining Eagle & Doug
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Did you ever move your bath?
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

We haven't got to the bathroom yet, but close. We wanted to make sure the things outside were in working condition, and then get into the inside.
If you have any ideas, let us know.
Thanks for the reply.

Shining Eagle & D
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningEagle View Post
We haven't got to the bathroom yet, but close. We wanted to make sure the things outside were in working condition, and then get into the inside.
If you have any ideas, let us know.
Thanks for the reply.

Shining Eagle & D
I am wanting to do the same thing, so I am interested in what you do. I will let you know if I find anything else it. Good luck!
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote