Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Recommended Toilet Replacement '64

I have a 64 with original everything inside, and the bathroom is fantastic. Original Swirl-O-Matic that is perfect, except there is a crack in the plastic right above the orignal flapper seal.

My concern is that I won't be able to fix that, and since there are other parts that will be an issue in the future, I'd rather replace.

I want another porcelin. I feel confident that I can build an appropriate riser in the rear area, and I can probably figure out a way to redo the lever to be the same (i'll move the battery out, so there's room to build some accomodating contraption of levers.

Any suggestions on a replacement toilet?
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

robwok,

That thing can be rebuilt if you want to do it. Shari Davis (Ex-VAC Prez) did a rebuild on her's and show the process here on the forums. Before replacing, I'd chat with her and see what you can do.

I remember her stating she was happy she did the rebuild vs replacement.

She goes by "InsideOut" on the forums.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
That thing can be rebuilt if you want to do it.
AB-SO-LUTE-LY! I would recommend you exhaust all possibilities of a repair before considering a replacement if your intention is to "stay stock". These mid-60's bathrooms are gems...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
AB-SO-LUTE-LY! I would recommend you exhaust all possibilities of a repair before considering a replacement if your intention is to "stay stock". These mid-60's bathrooms are gems...

Shari
I've followed your rebuild Shari and it looks excellent. You indicated you made your own gaskets. I'm pretty handy, but do not want to spend forever working on this. I still have a lot of projects around the house, but the AS rebuild.

My thought though was that if everything looked the same, and only slightly looked different when you lifted the green cushion to sit down, why does it matter if the mechanicals below are modern? I wanted to replace with china version that is carried by VTS.

I'm wondering if part of the retrofit is that some people on the forums have limited tools/enginering skills. For example, I have a cracked refrigerator vent that runs on the inside of my AS. I can make an exact replica in fiberglass, but that seems to be outside the scope of many owners. In fact, I was thinking of making a few of them and reselling, but it seems that AS changed just about everything each year and from model to model, so even if I did, they probably wouldn't work except for the exact year and model I have, and maybe only if it was made in Ohio.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I've followed your rebuild Shari and it looks excellent.
Thanks!

Quote:
You indicated you made your own gaskets. I'm pretty handy, but do not want to spend forever working on this. I still have a lot of projects around the house, but the AS rebuild.
Believe me, I truly understand...been there, done that 2-1/2 times now. AS restorations are very time consuming...

Quote:
My thought though was that if everything looked the same, and only slightly looked different when you lifted the green cushion to sit down, why does it matter if the mechanicals below are modern? I wanted to replace with china version that is carried by VTS.
We have the Sealand toilet from VTS that we put in our Safari. It's a great toilet...the problem is that the flush pedal at the base of the toilet is so different from the Swirl-O-Matic that the face of the bench would have to be altered (ie. cut away &/or patched) which is visible with the seat down. Also the seat hole would have to be enlarged and shifted in location in order to align with the tank flange. It would be a tremendous amount of work...most people give up or just jury-rig the set-up and call it good.

Quote:
I'm wondering if part of the retrofit is that some people on the forums have limited tools/enginering skills. For example, I have a cracked refrigerator vent that runs on the inside of my AS. I can make an exact replica in fiberglass, but that seems to be outside the scope of many owners.
I hear you on this one...alot of DIY'rs are not, uhhh, shall we say "perfectionists" nor do they care to keep there trailers original or stock. I'm not saying it's impossible to do well, if you have fiberglass abilities, but it would be just as much or more work than rebuilding the toilet. My husband used to glass surfboards professionally (if another life )...he is very good at fiberglass projects, but even he said it would be a really tough project. There are just so many different variables - which is why I think most folks just give up on "doing it right" and just make it work.

The bottomline is with any trailer/owner - it's your trailer do with it whatever you want....but personally, we like to keep the "bones" stock and do as little as possible to keep the aesthetics true - we have no problem modernizing things behind the scene.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
New toilet!!!

I went with a Dometic 311. The swirlomatic was dead. Too many cracked plastic parts and the pot metal turned to dust. The original black tank had to be replaced as well. In the end, I added 2 gray tanks, and a new custom black tank. I tried to create this complicated system with hinges to put the foot pedal in the center again, but it was too much. I filled that with fiberglass, then cut a new slot over to the right. I think it will look better in the future anyway, and I did save the original aluminum foot pedal. I did have to cut the bench, but I cut it in the back. I think folks cut the front of the bench due to the original hole being forward. If you are putting in your own black tank, you can put the hole anywhere, so I moved it as far back as possible, then cut the back of the bench. I plan to glass the extra I cut, then get a paint match and tinted caulk. By the time I make a new bench cover (the green one that hides the toilet seat) it should make any repair completely invisible anyway.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
StPierre did a very nice replacement that sticks to the look of the original set up better than any have seen. Try searching on his name. You would have to change the back tank if you use his replacement process. I am planning to follow his rebuild this winter on my 64 Tradewind.

robwok, do you have any pictures of you replacement?
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Yes. Start with post # 84 on this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f157...g-73860-6.html

I did have to fabricate the black tank from ABS, to customize it all.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
Great job Robwok. I presume you milled the wood spacer to the right thickness but how did you plumb between the black tank and the toilet through the wood spacer?
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Excellent question. That was one of the hard parts.

Vintage Trailer supply sells a threaded abs pipe with threading on both ends. I had to cut a little off one end, but I just dialed it down to the correct height, then screwed the toilet flange to the block. A female threaded toilet flange, and then the fitting on the tank. I just had to screw it down to the right height and it was perfect.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Looks like you found a good solution that works for you! Awesome job!

Shari

Tags
1964 overlander, 26', swirl-o-matic, toilet, replace