Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
Quick answer to replacing my b/w tank

As I posted at the end of my previous thread, I found a small hole in my b/w tank and now I must replace it. And that is a $$ surprise and a big disappointment as in heart-sinking. I understand more and more what is meant by "you'll never get out of it what you put into it so don't do it for that reason". (I'll get over it and move on). I need your help again.

My tank is PN 91310 at Inland RV $445.00 plus $55 shipping. At my local AS dealer it is 745.00. As you can see from the picture it is a little odd shape.
My question: Does anyone have a cheaper source or those that have had custom holding tanks made, are they in this range, cheaper, more expensive.
Thanks in advance,
Dan
68Glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
Sorry - here is the pic

Attached is the pic of the tank so you don't have to go searching at Inland
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	900x0_wastetank.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	17942  
Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Is the tank ABS or polyethelene? How big is the crack/hole? I believe either can be repaired. In a past life in the RV business we sold repair kits for ABS tanks and fender skirts, and poly tanks were weld/solder-able. ABS is the easier of the two to repair yourself and it looks from the picture like it could be an ABS tank. Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - member C Johnson had a black tank made - I think - for his caravel. You might look through his old posts to find the vendor. Or PM him - he's on line regularly

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
outrageous prices

I just had a 14.5 gallon black delivered today direct from the manufacturer, Ameri-Kart, who have plants in Indiana and Michigan and maybe other places.

They do all kinds of rotational molding and have probably 200 or more different sizes made for the RV industry.

It cost me 95.00 plus ground shipping.

I am on the road for a couple of days but PM me and I can later send the you the numbers for KAREN there who helped me and took my order.

There are several other direct sources you can look up on the web such as RONCO, INCA, and ALL RITE in California.

Yu probably don't need EXACTLY that shape so much as something that will fit in the space you have available.

If so, you don't need to pay such criminal prices for a simple polyethelene tank.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

I have repaired several of those tanks out of '67 and '68 trailers. They are ABS plastic. The bottom part is vacuum formed and the top is a flat sheet. They are glued together. CLEAN the damaged portion well and make sure it is dry. Sand the surface around the damage to give the glue some texture to stick to. If there is material missing (hole) use fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin to fill in. Best to do this in a couple coats allowing set-up time between. Test for leaks before reinstalling in the trailer!
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
HI Dan, I had a new poly tank custom made. It costs me 250 dollars. It hold 11.6 gallons. Just by looking at the shape of yours, to have it custom made would be a bit more because of the additional cutting and welding of the angles etc.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
68 Globetrotter,

You can easily repair your tank by plastic welding it.The equipment and materials are inexpensive if you want to buy them or you might find a body shop or marine repair place that does it. I use mine about once a week to repair a variety of plastics and have 'saved' at least a half dozen holding tanks on RV's. PM me if you want the details.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
The problem is actually a hairline crack and a hole that runs along the bottom of the valve. It's like it ripped when previous repairs were made to slide valve. Looking at the picture, it's just behind the "neck" of the valve that is shown. I would think you would have to cut that off (or unscrew it or ever how it is attached), flush with the tank and rebuild it. Is that possible Lew? Especially considering it's black water? My valve is also leaking and that is why I did not catch it at first.I thought the liquid was from the valve only but upon closer inspection I could see it leaking from both places.
I'll try and post some pictures. It already has some kind of hardened patch material form PO. After pictures this weekend, I'll talk to you Lew via PM