Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #1

2016 25' International
lascelles , Quebec
Q: new external design for black & grey water disposal

A question- I notice new models of Airstreams now often have low, exposed (below body) pipework for black and grey water disposal. Why? It does not look great and seems vulnerable. Thx for any insights.
wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
It's a gravity thing. I understand the move is an attempt to make it easier to attach the drain lines. Seems like a step back on the improvement scale. Would rather have less tankage and more clearance, but others have different agendas. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
A question- I notice new models of Airstreams now often have low, exposed (below body) pipework for black and grey water disposal. Why? It does not look great and seems vulnerable. Thx for any insights.
Drain lines/slinky fittings have to be lower than the tanks in order for the tanks to drain properly ("Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law") Since the waste tanks are between the frame rails, the only place to put the drain lines and slinky fittings is below the frame.

And since the gray tank has to be lower than the shower pan and the black tank has to be lower than the toilet drain, mounting the waste tanks higher than the frame rails isn't really an option, either.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
It is not newer models only. It's been this way for years.

The less expensive models like my Safari have more waste pipes and both valves exposed to the exterior. IMO, the reason; it is less expensive to build, not having hatch doors and heated boxes to enclose the plumbing.

The more expensive models like my Excella have completely enclosed waste pipes and valves, except for the slinky connection. This cost more but they are somewhat less likely to freeze because of the heated enclosure.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My '74 Argosy 26' has no plumbing below the level of the bumper.
Small holding tanks, grey and black allow for this.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Going to 15" tires and wheels from the stock 14" tires and wheels raised the exposed plumbing on our 23D about 1.2" which is a big help for getting in and out of fuel stations without dragging damage.

I had to buy a sleeping bag, a trouble light and a 5 watt light bulb from the local Walmart the first night at our summer camp ground in the mountains as the temps were going into the mid 20s. Wrapping the exposed plumbing with a small light bulb inside kept it from freezing and breaking.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Having had a 2007 25' Safari and had to replace the black water dump valve tucked way back underneath the rig, I was glad they moved them outboard in our current 30' FC.

From what I remember it cost me $400/labor to replace a $4.95 dump valve in the Safari. So for $400 I don't mind a bit of ugly being outboard.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Beachville , Ontario
Low drains

I have stopped at several campsites where sewer pipe is higher than AS drain and have had to jiggle hose to get the last of it out.
Kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote