Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Pumbing Vent Location?

Since it's still too cold to do anything on the trailers, I find myself thinking about what I might eventually do when the weather gets better. When I restore my 1955 Safari, I'm thinking about adding at least a small Black Tank (likely a box on top of the floor under the toilet as was typical back then) and possibly a Gray Tank (location TBD).

Adding small tanks all sounds easy enough until I get thinking about the need for plumbing vents for these tanks. Since my trailer currently has no such tanks, I don't have any existing vents to work with and will need to add them myself. This is all complicated by the front kitchen/front bath layout that puts all the plumbing under the front end cap.

Does anyone know what the requirements are for plumbing vents in trailers? Do they have to be above the roof line? Or can they be installed thru the side wall of the trailer, say below window level? If a side mount location is allowed, does anyone know of a plumbing vent made for that application? I thought I had run across one once, but I just tried a google search and could not find answers to these questions, so your help is appreciated.

And what about "studor" vents, that can go under sinks, could those be allowed? Would you ever consider them for the Black Tank, or just the Gray? Overall, I don't like the idea of venting in the interior, but I guess I want to understand the options available to me.

Thanks in advance . . .
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote