Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Carl,

That's great, thanks. I may use one of these on my black tank. My original toilet has a 2" threaded fitting on the back. I can come out of it horizontally and elbow up into a cabinet behind the toilet. Any solids would have to travel a long way to reach the vent. I think any tank needs a vent of some kind to introduce air as the liquid drains while emptying the tank.

Ryan.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post

DIETZ645,

I've thought of using a device like this to vent the black tank. I was advised not to by a reputable RV shop in town because 'stuff' could get in the valve and block it open. What is the distance between the top of the tank and valve? Were those installed by the factory? I could hide one of those in a cabinet and no one would ever know...
I'm not a plumber, so I could be wrong (and usually am), but I think the anti siphon device is really just a way to let air into the system and not for simple gravity venting (and should be (thankfully) fine for the lines going to the gray tank). I think the black tank itself really needs a way for that air (gas) to "escape" on an ongoing, more continual basis. Otherwise there might be a significant problem when pushing the foot pedal down. I don't know this to be factual and don't know from experience what might happen, but think I remember reading something about it.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Mark,
I believe you to be correct too. The black tank should definitley vent through the vent stack going through the roof and no anti-siphon device should be required becuase there is no fluids to siphon from anywhere in the black water system.

I think if you put one of those devices on your kitchen sink leg and another in the bathrooom vanity leg you will be OK with the one vent stack you have in your drawing.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
c'mon guys, you wanted to see my black tank time bomb bouncing down the highway? Thanks for the reality check, that makes perfect sense.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Otherwise there might be a significant problem when pushing the foot pedal down.
That gave me a rather disturbing mental picture.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Center Bath

This may not be the exact correct forum to put this in but since it is plumbing related AND related to my original questions, I'm going to go ahead and ask here on this thread.

So I've fallen in love w/the idea of a center "wet bath" and have been working on a layout. My questions are mostly material questions so maybe it doesn't really belong here . . . anyway, I'm thinking about fabricating an aluminum bath, at least the pan, the seat and the exterior wall panel. The 2 end panels/walls could be some other material as long as it was water proof/resistant and single pieces (I know I'll want to "warm it up" and this might be the opportunity to do that).

Is there a problem making the pan out of aluminum?
What is/are the problem(s)?
What Alloy should I use or does it matter in a shower pan that will be used 3 or 4 times every few months?

I'm thinking it's a stand alone aluminum structure that is then housed in plywood paneling that will match the rest of the interior. I think (and sometimes my thinking is screwy) that by building it and then "placing it" vs. attaching some parts to the floor and some parts to the exterior wall and some parts independent of the existing wall or floor, that it will be more likely to stay water tight . . . ?

The model shows the sink opposite the toilet, I may change that. The model also shows how the pan is made then how the seat "spills" into the pan and then the exterior wall panel spills onto the seat. I may decide to build the exterior wall panel as smaller horizontal "shingles" that get "tighter" as it hits the sharper part of the arch . . . The edges of the pan are turned up 3" and the edges of the seat and the wall are turned roughly an inch. Building it as a unit seems to make it so I could be pretty fussy about those joints . . .

Anyway, mostly I'm interested to know what might be the reasons NOT to build the pan and seat out of aluminum.

Thanks,
MarkR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01201.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	82893   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01205.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	82894