Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
Proper dumping of Black Water

After opening of gray valve and moving on to the black is it necessary to run water back thru the system? This is on a 2016 model.
Thanks in advance
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do until it all runs clear.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I dump black first. Then I open the gray valve for about 5 seconds and close it. I do this several times. The pressure of the gray water pushes some into the black tank and assists in getting a good dump. I then dump the rest of the gray water which helps to clean the hose.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I carry a garden hose and when I dump the black, I hook the garden hose up to the black tank flush and run it till it's clear. Then I close the black valve. Then I open the grey valve. I let the black flush continue for a few seconds so there's some liquid in that tank, then I shut it off and put away the garden hose while the grey is dumping.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
FlamingoRoadTrip

2007 34' Classic S/O
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to flamingoroad
I was in Jackson Center a couple of weeks ago to get some maintenance and repairs done to the AS. One of those repairs was to replace the vacuum breaker on the black tank flush head. I asked both the service tech and the service advisor about the best way to clean out the black tank. Both offered the following advice: 1) The black tank flush head just sprays water into the tank and becomes clogged up over time, reducing its effectiveness; 2) the best way to clean the black tank is to use a wand sprayer with a rotating head (Camco sells these) inserted into the tank through the open toilet, moving it up and down until the water runs clear, do this after every 2-3 dumps and; 3) dump a bag of ice into the black tank just before hitting the road and let it slosh around in the tank for a while, really cleans the inside of the tank. BTW...you should always dump the black tank first when it’s nearly full, then follow with the gray tank (it should be nearly full, too, to get the best flush). Hope this helps!
2015 Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 Diesel
flamingoroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
The manual states you should use the black tank flushing connection every time you empty the tank. If you don't, the small holes in the sprayer can get plugged and it's very difficult if not impossible to clear them.

Second, I strongly recommend a clear view adapter to monitor what comes out of your black tank. I know it sounds disgusting, but you'll soon discover it's better than watching almost anything on network TV especially celebrity worship shows like Entertainment Tonight and similar crap, no pun intended.

The reason I recommend this will become evident if you close the dump valve after the black tank it empty. Run the flushing connection for a few minutes (I know the instructions say don't, but try it). DO NOT LEAVE WHILE THE FLUSHING CONNECTION IS RUNNING.

Then open the dump valve and you will be surprised how much more material comes out of the tank. Mostly paper but a lot of it.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I keep one of the secondary valves on my trailer all the time. (http://www.valterra.com/product/twis...e-valve-boxed/)

After I dump the black tank, I close the twist-on valve, but leave the black tank valve open. I then pull the grey tank valve open for a few seconds. Then I close the grey and open the twist on valve. It does a tremendously good job at flushing the loose solids out of the black - usually toilet paper.

Lastly, I empty out the grey tank which will then also flush my hose.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I dump black first. Then I open the gray valve for about 5 seconds and close it. I do this several times. The pressure of the gray water pushes some into the black tank and assists in getting a good dump. I then dump the rest of the gray water which helps to clean the hose.

Al
That is exactly how I do it.

My trailer has a black water flush. I have never used it. Wand? It won't work. My toilet has an elbow before the tank.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After I have emptied the black tank, I go inside and flush the toilet for a few seconds, to give a freshwater rinse of the tank, then open the grey valve and finish it all up.

Maggie
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
[QUOTE=LBOskiBear;2012876]I keep one of the secondary valves on my trailer all the time. (http://www.valterra.com/product/twis...e-valve-boxed/)

Has anyone seen this twist on valve available for a Thetford fitting? I had the Valterra valve on my Interstate and loved it. I want to find the same thing for my 2005 Classic which has Thetford fittings.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We dump black, then every other dump refill at provided spray inlet and dump again. Then empty gray to help clean out hose.

So far, no problems since 2009.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
The Fit RV
Published on Aug 17, 2014 has a video( Youtube) on the ice in the black tank, I think it's not worth it, suprised that The Mother Ship recommends it. Google "Ice in black water tank" or something close to it, you should get the video.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
(We have a transparent elbow to attach to the AS to view what's coming out) 1. attach a garden hose (not a clean water hose) to the flush attachment in the AS. 2. turn on flush hose as you pull the black tank handle. 3. One of us stays in the bathroom and flushes a FULL tank of toilet water down the hatch. You'll be amazed to see what is still coming out. Keep the flush hose going. Repeat the toilet flush as needed until the transparent hose is running clear. 4. Close the black tank handle and turn off the flush hose. 5. Open the gray tank handle and keep it open until the tank is fully drained, then close the handle. 6. We always add Pure Power Blue fluid thru the toilet to keep the tank from smelling. When in hot area, double the dose.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #14

1961 16' Bambi
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoroad View Post
2) the best way to clean the black tank is to use a wand sprayer with a rotating head (Camco sells these) inserted into the tank through the open toilet, moving it up and down until the water runs clear, do this after every 2-3 dumps and;
I have one of these gizmos! Works great. Call me a nut, but I fill that black water tank using the wand a couple of times and let it flush out. Figure the more I fill it with fresh water and dump, the cleaner the tank and the hose will get.

I am not a wack-a-doodle germaphobe, but hey, this is a black water tank we are talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoroad View Post
3) dump a bag of ice into the black tank just before hitting the road and let it slosh around in the tank for a while, really cleans the inside of the tank.
Love this idea. I also put a good splash of tank conditioner down the puppy before I head out, always figure it splashed around...great idea about the ice..I'll give it a try.

Am new to this forum. Have a 1961 Bambi! Love all the good info!

Ann
IamJacksMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
What I do....

I start out with putting all the water I can in the black and gray tanks... i.e fill 'em up... with fresh water if not full... then we go pull the black water tank valve... then after its drained... I pull the gray.... and that usually flushes the black tank backwards...etc... and the hose line... close the valves.. and again refill the tanks... with fresh water... and do the same the second time... to insure that its as clean as it can be...

Then I put about 1-3 gal of water in each tank... and drive on.... runn'n down the road causes the water to slosh around in the tank... and keep it clean... until we dump the next time...

Out here on the left coast... the road side rest stops are closing their free dump stations... and at the state parks... they are starting to charge 10 bux now too... seems the 'homeless' are abusing the stations... and so now the state is changing over to a contractor to maintain 'em... Of course the Ca. state parks are not getting the service that they should for the price they are charging... and a lot of people are not happy about the deteration that is going on in them... even though they raised the rates... they still are putting the money back into the state general fund.. to be spent on social programs (Ca is a sancuary state ... and someone has to pay for it... I guess)

So the new deal with the Ca state parks to keep the rift raft (homeless) out is to go to a credit card reservation system...

Last time we went to a Ca. state campground... we were blitzed by a relentless number of people begging for money and food... several of the campers next to us LOST camping items BBQ, connector hoses, chairs...etc... that they had under their awnings.... so we say.. if you want to keep it today.. you either have to lock it... or put it away when done... and learn to say NO... as they send the kids around to panhandle... of course the ranger rick guy doesn't want to get involved... go figure...

Keep them tanks clean... is job one...

G.M>
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacksMom View Post
...great idea about the ice..I'll give it a try.

Am new to this forum. Have a 1961 Bambi! Love all the good info!

Ann
Welcome to the forum. Like any forum you can find urban legends being repeated here to. The ice cubes in the black tank has been empirically tested by the FitRV and found to be a waste of time and money. .
Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
[QUOTE=Chatooga11;2012950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
I keep one of the secondary valves on my trailer all the time. (http://www.valterra.com/product/twis...e-valve-boxed/)

Has anyone seen this twist on valve available for a Thetford fitting? I had the Valterra valve on my Interstate and loved it. I want to find the same thing for my 2005 Classic which has Thetford fittings.
There are a couple simple solutions to the overpriced Thetford fittings. First of all, there is an adapter available the fits the Thetford fitting, and the other end of it fits the Valterra and other commonly used fittings.

The other one is to cut off the Thetford fitting and cement on the newer and almost universally used Valterra fittings.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
What I do....

I start out with putting all the water I can in the black and gray tanks... i.e fill 'em up... with fresh water if not full... then we go pull the black water tank valve... then after its drained... I pull the gray.... and that usually flushes the black tank backwards...etc... and the hose line... close the valves.. and again refill the tanks... with fresh water... and do the same the second time... to insure that its as clean as it can be...

Then I put about 1-3 gal of water in each tank... and drive on.... runn'n down the road causes the water to slosh around in the tank... and keep it clean... until we dump the next time...

Out here on the left coast... the road side rest stops are closing their free dump stations... and at the state parks... they are starting to charge 10 bux now too... seems the 'homeless' are abusing the stations... and so now the state is changing over to a contractor to maintain 'em... Of course the Ca. state parks are not getting the service that they should for the price they are charging... and a lot of people are not happy about the deteration that is going on in them... even though they raised the rates... they still are putting the money back into the state general fund.. to be spent on social programs (Ca is a sancuary state ... and someone has to pay for it... I guess)

So the new deal with the Ca state parks to keep the rift raft (homeless) out is to go to a credit card reservation system...

Last time we went to a Ca. state campground... we were blitzed by a relentless number of people begging for money and food... several of the campers next to us LOST camping items BBQ, connector hoses, chairs...etc... that they had under their awnings.... so we say.. if you want to keep it today.. you either have to lock it... or put it away when done... and learn to say NO... as they send the kids around to panhandle... of course the ranger rick guy doesn't want to get involved... go figure...

Keep them tanks clean... is job one...

G.M>
Simple solution to the California (left coast) situation. Just move into a state that still wants to be part of the United States..

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #19
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I hear plenty of people are doing that...coming here to Tx from Kalifornia, statistics get reported all the time..we got plenty of room!

Heck, my own people jumped ship already from Kali, I was born there but would only go there now to visit sadly...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
My brother has a big rig he drives. He says to use a 5 gallon pail of water and pour down the toilet while emptying black water and before you open the gray water tank. The 5 gallons will clean the tank out better.

Some places don’t have hoses you can hook up to the black water hose connector to clean the thing out.

When I bought the AS the dealer said don’t empty black water until it is 50% full. So if I want to dump it I just pour water down the toilet to get it there. I don’t like driving with full tanks.

I’m thinking about getting a flojet system because I have a septic system at home. That way it’s easier for me to clean the system out and I can run it to the opening of my system or even into a toilet and down the hatch.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote