Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post
I've made more than one attempt to run water from either a garden hose attached to a well or even my exterior faucet on my AS to help breakdown the cone of crap. I do not know if I'm accomplishing any success. I'm not able to see down into my tank like others have mentioned. I have also dumped as many as 6 tubs of hot hot water down into toilet, still looks the same from what I can see. I've thrown in Ice cubes, filled it up with water and drove 250 miles to next camp. I'm not completely sure I have a problem or not. We use only RV paper, never anything else down there. So my question is how good a job does the sprayer do. And how do you know? Ron
I have no experience with the sprayer so I can't help you there. But if you suspect that you have a "cone of death" problem but can't see it due to some pipe configuration issues, I would think that the sprayer would also have trouble getting in position to do you any good. Instead, I suggest that you use septic tank enzymes (Rid-X All About Septic Systems, Maintenance and Septic Tank Problems | RID-X®) along with sufficient fresh water to nearly fill the black tank. Let the whole thing sit in your driveway for a couple of weeks or longer, then drive around town for 15 to 30 minutes making sure you go around a lot of corners, then dump the whole thing. If you have a black tank flush (I don't think the older AS' have this) use it. If you don't have a black tank flush, I would refill the black tank with fresh water and dump again a couple of times. If you attach a clear bayonet adapter between the dump valve and hose (Clearview 5" Sewer Adapter with Bayonet Lugs - Valterra T1021 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World) you will see how your efforts are paying off. Keep filling and dumping the black tank until you see reasonably clear liquid emerging from your black tank. That's about the best you are going to be able to do with an older trailer such as yours short of replacing the black tank.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:29 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Quote:
Originally Posted by panora2 View Post
I've made more than one attempt to run water from either a garden hose attached to a well or even my exterior faucet on my AS to help breakdown the cone of crap. I do not know if I'm accomplishing any success. I'm not able to see down into my tank like others have mentioned. I have also dumped as many as 6 tubs of hot hot water down into toilet, still looks the same from what I can see. I've thrown in Ice cubes, filled it up with water and drove 250 miles to next camp. I'm not completely sure I have a problem or not. We use only RV paper, never anything else down there. So my question is how good a job does the sprayer do. And how do you know? Ron

Do you have a "house" type of toilet? one that has the trap? porcelain? Most RV units are straight thru, blade or ball valve on the bottom to keep the gasses from returning -- When this blade is slid back or the ball is rotated, there is a clean line of site into the black tank. It is usually a 4 " diameter hole for "stuff" to easily pass through.
we need "clean" pictures ♫ ♪ ☺
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Thus problem is why some AS have a separate hose to rinse the tank after flushing. Can be installed as an accessory. Flush the toilet and then rinse with the hose. Th tp really isn't visible is it? Peace, Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There appears to be some possible misconceptions about the OPs issue. A well lit photo might help clear up this confusion. My toilet has no "funnel" as such. It is a straight large pipe from the toilet to the tank. I have found that depending on the amount of solids and paper in the toilet if enough water is not added to the bowl prior to use it might not all dump when the flush gate is opened and a larger amount of water has to be added. I keep a small bowl brush handy just in case to keep the bowl clean.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
There appears to be some possible misconceptions about the OPs issue. A well lit photo might help clear up this confusion. My toilet has no "funnel" as such. It is a straight large pipe from the toilet to the tank. I have found that depending on the amount of solids and paper in the toilet if enough water is not added to the bowl prior to use it might not all dump when the flush gate is opened and a larger amount of water has to be added. I keep a small bowl brush handy just in case to keep the bowl clean.
I agree about the photo Michael, I am puzzled about the OP's use of the word "funnel." I wonder if he really has some form of restriction in the tube to the black tank that is not standard (??) or if he is just using the term "funnel" loosely to describe the opening to the back tank. In any event, I would think that employing more water when the toilet is used for solids would solve the problem he is describing.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
While I have not yet used the new toilet I just installed I think I can see the issue. The new toilet has a bowl shape much like a domestic toilet. The problem I envision is the fact that the trailer toilet is not filled with water before usage and thus Dry Wall Sticking is going to be a problem. The older RV toilets did look more like a funnel and thus any small amount water applied before or during flushing served a useful purpose.

Several have mentioned or questioned the distance or piping between the toilet and the black tank. There is Nothing between them. The toilet is directly connected to the top of the black tank with only the toilet valve between before and after.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had the same thought about a "funnel" vs. a "cylinder" or tube. But I did notice that this is a 2007 so even if our fellow member is the second owner it's likely that his throne is original equipment.

Not to be too graphic, but I once loaned my trailer out while I was on vacation. The people I loaned it to left it in great condition, however, it took hours to clear "the captain's log" when I drained the black tank. I don't know how one produces poo with the consistency of terra cotta, but it happened. And since I use a Sewer Solution... a breakup of the solids that would normally have been almost instant using the mascerator simply didn't work very well. I must have run 50 gallons of quite warm water through the entire system - and I finally closed the gate, filled and dumped the gray tank to clear the end of the drain, then put a triple dose of Rid-X down the black tank and let it ferment for a week or so. After a week of "digestion" the tank emptied normally.

College sophomores are gross by nature - I remember a pre-med major who stated "food is just unprocessed sh**" and it is true that what you eat does affect what happens at the other end. Even the FDA strongly urges people to add more uncooked green and leafy veggies and fruit to their diets. I would however suggest that kale is wonderful, but sleep outside, and always FACE the campfire.... human methane is flammable and doesn't require an artificial odorant like natural gas.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
No 'funnel' on ours,(OEM). Just a sharply angled flat area about 6-8in below the valve.

At times some of the regular deposits have have decided to rest there but have been easily rinsed down with the attached sprayer.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Foiled your description of ''The Captains Log'' and my imagination was graphic enough. BoldAventure the culprit may be in your avatar. As a handy man I've removed a few toilets with toys blocking the passage. Little ones think a toilet is a trash can. Maybe a good flashlight and a looksy will find the problem. Proceed with caution and empty stomach.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #30
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
This is the best, cleanest photo I could get. You can see here, mine is not a straight pipe. Maybe not a total funnel.

It looks like it might be a 4inch to 3inch or something similar, like this:

The pink arrows are pointed to walls which are angled, and you can see the hole that goes straight down into the black tank. This is what gets 'backed up' sometimes in the past. And pushing it thru, it falls down into the black tank.

The blue circle is the hole straight into the black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4647.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	229570  
Old 12-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #31
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
BTW, I have the flush valve on the exterior that allows you to attach a hose and flush out the black tank. I do that usually before we leave a site.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Have you considered "Geo Cashing"? I hear that is popular.

What is it with women and toilet "tissue". I do not care if the tissue can be digested by microbes or not.

You can tell how many females live in one house on Septic by the amount of toilet paper... I know, my neighbor wanted me to help him check his Septic to see if he needed to have it pumped. It could have been a new Hawaiian Island in progress from my opinion.

I know it might seem barbaric but by being selective what goes down the hatch will prevent your having to fish around to find what is clogging up the works. It could be a lost monkey that escaped from the Zoo... or just too much waste paper being tossed that could be delivered to a trash bin at your next gasoline stop. It is sterile and no threat to the environment.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Hmmm. That is not what we have on our unit (2014 Eddie Bauer.) Our opening is the same size at the bottom of the bowl and the top of the tank (looks to be about the same size as your larger opening.) I see now why you described yours as a funnel. This appears to be a reducing connection needed because the size of the opening at the bottom of your toilet does not match the size of the tank opening. I wonder if your toilet is original or if a previous owner may have changed it out causing the need for the reducer?

I'm not familiar with your particular set up to be able to state whether it is typical for units of your model year (2007, I believe?) Perhaps someone with a similar aged AS can opine on this? In any event, I would increase the use of water when using the toilet for solids.

You might also check with an AS dealer near your location to see if this is typical or if a different connection to the black tank can be substituted. Or perhaps a new toilet with an opening that matches the one on the tank is possible? Keep asking questions until you get this resolved. The problem you have been having is not typical and certainly not acceptable.

Best of luck!
Old 12-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #34
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
I rebuilt my Ceramic Sealand 910. It didn't have any cone design at the base. Did someone re-set yours using a household wax ring?? Some of those wax rings have a conical plastic insert restrictor to control the ooze of the wax when bolted down. They're a fraction of the cost of the correct gasket, or it could have been unwittingly installed..

Honoring and contributing to the degradation of this thread to toilet humor; The no-joke solution...
WARNING anatomical and medical vocabulary follows...

In the exponential technological advancement of our recent century, the million year tradition of defecating in the woods with a broad-leafed bush at hand, is lost to the most advanced anal hygiene system on our planet,

the Japanese Paperless Toilet.

Unfamiliar to the Americas, every household, hotel, and public restroom that I visited in Japan, has one. Not a child's toy, this genitalia and anus cleansing miracle machine, soon to be further featured with explosive methane level detection alarm, and >60db auto-muffling (joking aside, they honestly do offer a babbling waterfall sound chip with Hi-Fi speaker in the upper-end models), has no sphincter sensor (possibly in development), so you do have to manually press the appropriate button when you're ready engage this hands free paperless wonder.

Pressing onward, the temperature controlled, soothing powerwash cycle has adjustable wavering jets, mmmmmmm... Then, next keystroke, the gentle warm air blow dry, ahhhhhhh... You're sparkling clean with no need for the beloved standby, 120 grit Scott's..... Of course the roll's always there if you feel the need for back-up or power outage. Some models, the seat senses your proximity, opens and warms itself for your arrival, or you can set to pre-heat for times of frequent urgency. When you've finished your business, step away, the lid silently soft closes.

Both comical and scary, the high-end models (there are countless price and feature levels) option a remote control. When I first learned this, I imagined sitting on the can hollering “where's the remote” but it turns out that the remote is intended to be a near hand wall mount. Expect availability of a phone app any day...

This may all seem silly to some, but I've experienced the pleasure, and after a few sittings on my entry level model (TOTO SW502), and familiarizing myself with the side-console keyboard, the paperless Japanese toilet is the way to go!

Today, TOTO & Panasonic are primary rivals, but Sir-Lord-Duke Dyson could certainly become the leader, as a Vac/HOT/Airblade-tech-combotoilet wouldn't be a stretch from his current offerings. Dyson already has highly developed tech in vac, heat, and dry, just needs a warm water squirter and it's a pants-down win for him. So fitting to this Englishman's Fame, considering our modern toilet's origin with Sir John Harington and Thomas Crapper. Can't wait to see his Televised infomercial explaining the engineering superiority of the most advanced “Dyson II Evacuator”.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #35
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
My unit had the floor redone, and it looks like the put the laminate under the toilet rather than cut around it, so it's very possible something got changed.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
PALMER , Alaska
Female prespective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Have you considered "Geo Cashing"? I hear that is popular.

What is it with women and toilet "tissue". I do not care if the tissue can be digested by microbes or not.

We are on Septic and a well. We are too far from a City, Town and just far enough from neighbors. The wife keeps a trash "receptacle" for sorting what goes down the drain and what is best for the trash haulers on Thursdays.

You can tell how many females live in one house on Septic by the amount of toilet paper... I know, my neighbor wanted me to help him check his Septic to see if he needed to have it pumped. It could have been a new Hawaiian Island in progress from my opinion.

I know it might seem barbaric but by being selective what goes down the hatch will prevent your having to fish around to find what is clogging up the works. It could be a lost monkey that escaped from the Zoo... or just too much waste paper being tossed that could be delivered to a trash bin at your next gasoline stop. It is sterile and no threat to the environment.

Good luck. You could win this argument... but most likely the wife's expression will be all the answer you are going to require. You know... "are you nuts?"
I may be a female but have to clean up over flows when tank gets too full. I have a vested interest on dumping black tank once a day. I keep a female products out of black tank. I use a ziplock bag to stash trash in a trash can under sink; out of sight and out of black tank. For hearty over achievers they get to go to RV public restroom for daily deposits.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:58 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Wow, I have second guessed my decision to install a residential style toilet in our A/S,,,, but after reading this thread I am comfortable with my decision...

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As I said before, it looks like the use if a rinse hose that some AS have as standard would rinse the tp down with little use of water. I'm not talking about the outside tank flusher wear a hose us attached, I'm talking about the hose next to the toilet itself. Maybe someone else can explain it better. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
My unit had the floor redone, and it looks like the put the laminate under the toilet rather than cut around it, so it's very possible something got changed.
I would take your Airstream to a trusted dealer or better yet, the factory in Jackson Center to see if something can be done. It may involve getting a new "modern" toilet and updating the connection to the black tank. In any event, what you are going through is not normal and you should not expect to use the "stick method" on a permanent basis. If you are especially handy yourself, you might trying doing this on your own, but without some good knowledge of "how it ought to be" I'd be wary of tackling this myself.

Best of luck!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
6 to 8 in. below the valve is the bottom of the tank. What side of the trailer is the toilet on, curb or street? If curb that is a common problem in all trailer made with the toilet on the curb side of the trailer. The water out runs the solids and leaves thing behind. No pun intended.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote