Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Plumbing vent roof penetrations-'70s vintage

On my 70's vintage trailer, the plumbing vent pipes come up through the roof, through a rubber "gasket", and into the pot metal chimney/protector. I just replaced the rubbery gaskets, and as I haven't reinstalled my interior skins yet, I can see that I am getting leakage in a hefty rainstorm through this assembly. I have a hole cut in one gasket with a vent pipe going out of it, and the other is currently just a blank piece of rubber with no hole. Both leak. My understanding is that this set-up allows the pipes to move as the rest of the shell is rattling around on the road, and so you wouldn't want a "hard" connection of the pipe to the shell with a more capped metal vent top.

I have seen the little mushroom shaped vent tops that several forums members have put on their trailers, but the question is, do you still use the rubber gasket set-up, or a hard connection from pipe to metal cap? Also, How are the modern trailers built? This seems like a very marginal, leaky, and maintenance intensive design. I am sure a good portion of my rear floor rot was due to this design.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
On the metal vent piece, is the drain hole above the gasket open to let the water out? It is above the gasket but inside the metal piece to the outside of the trailer.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Yep, drain hole is open.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote