Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2024, 08:56 PM   #1

2021 27' Globetrotter
Reno , Nevada
Please help me with my stinky trailer!

Hi. I'm new to the community and recently bought my first Airstream (2021 27' Globetrotter). We are thrilled to have it and are gearing up for lots of travel. Unfortunately, now that we have de-winterized, the problems have started. The kitchen sink had a leak (bad gasket in the down pipe); fixed that. Then the bathroom started to stink. Dumped and flushed the tanks, added some water to them and a pair of Camco Drop-ins; no improvement. The toilet bowl slowly leaked water down the pipe, so replaced the seal. Now the bowl holds water indefinitely, and after airing the trailer out, thought the problem was solved. A day later, the odor has returned (the bowl still has the same level of water). Where can the odor be coming from? I've heard something about a vacuum breaker tied to the sewer system; could that somehow be defective and causing the problem? There's no odor anywhere else, so I don't think it's the grey tank.
maggiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you with us.

Here is one long shot idea: On some trailers, the bathroom sink drains to the black tank. I think that is true on the 27FB but I may be wrong. Have you run water down the bathroom sink? If not, the trap may be dry and allowing odors up. Actually, even if your bathroom sink drains to the gray tank, if the trap is dry that could be your problem--gray tanks can also get very smelly.

Yes, you do have a vacuum breaker on the black tank flush line. If is probably behind the back of your closet or shower. If you can find it, inspect it and try wrapping plastic around it.

You also have one or more air admittance valves. In my 25FB I had one under my closet floor that I replaced. You probably have one there, too (if you open the panel under the closet you should see it). I don't know if you would have one under your bathroom sink/vanity but you should look. You can tie/tape a plastic bag over these to test if that reduces the odor.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Get water in all the drains. Our pea traps, particularly the shower, dry out and then get stinky.

This is the easiest thing to do first.
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 04:40 AM   #4
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
^^^Ditto x3^^^ - What the other two folks said.

Pour a few cups water in all your drains. The water acts as a seal to keep the odors from coming up out of your drain into the living space.
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Keizer , Oregon
Hi. I never use my roof fan in exhaust mode. For some reason it pulls all the lovely smells into the trailer. I always use the roof fan in supply-pressurize mode. Might not be your specific problem but it works for me .
Old 05-05-2024, 11:53 PM   #6

2021 27' Globetrotter
Reno , Nevada
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. Unfortunately, we have to leave the trailer at another location, so we put water in the bathroom sink and shower and left the corresponding vents on with a window open to air it out, and we'll return later to see if that works. If not, I suppose we will have to explore the vacuum breaker. Hopefully it is nothing more than lack of water in the pea traps. And then the fantastic fan failed to turn on (but there was a lot of rain so maybe some sensor on top is clogged or blocked; it was working fine before). To be continued...
Old 05-06-2024, 06:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I searched and could not find the thread, but there was one case where the odor was caused by the vent pipe vertical section not being connected or maybe even missing a section. Not sure how it was accessed. The thread included a photo. I believe on some models there is a vertical panel to the left of the toilet that is held in place with screws and can be removed to access the pipe.

this thread mentions it: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ed-184213.html
Old 05-06-2024, 10:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Another possible cause is a defective or improperly installed backflow preventer in the tank flush line. In my trailer it is visible under the bathroom sink back against the wall. It is designed to vent from the tank unless there is pressure on the inlet. If anything pulls a vacuum on the interior of the trailer - AC running, vent fan running in exhaust mode, driving down the road with a fan cover open, etc. it will pull air down the vent stack, through the back tank and out into the trailer interior wherever the valve is located.

Several people have removed that valve, replacing it with pipe/fittings, and put a backflow preventer on the tank flush input.

You could also try a more effective tank chemical such as "Happy Camper" or "Tank Techs Rx".

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Falmouth , Maine
An ozonizer will correct that quickly.
joeeagle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:09 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
When you do find your main problem, I'll add that getting some Damp Rid in the trailer anytime it's in storage will help a lot too. We use the big buckets, one on the kitchen counter and one in the bathroom and that lasts through the winter in SW Ohio.
SilverLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
My Classic does not have sink "traps" . They use a type of check valve that fits horizontally below the sink. It is often typical trailer sink plumbing due to lack of space. It has two pieces of plastic that close together. Some debris could keep them open letting gas out. Unlikely but possible.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:34 AM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Check to make sure you don't have a propane leak. We had one and it made the trailer smell like an animal had died inside.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:35 AM   #13

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Birmingham , Alabama
Coming from water in the hot water heater. Flush it out
Danmilesdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:45 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemark View Post
Hi. I'm new to the community and recently bought my first Airstream (2021 27' Globetrotter). We are thrilled to have it and are gearing up for lots of travel. Unfortunately, now that we have de-winterized, the problems have started. The kitchen sink had a leak (bad gasket in the down pipe); fixed that. Then the bathroom started to stink. Dumped and flushed the tanks, added some water to them and a pair of Camco Drop-ins; no improvement. The toilet bowl slowly leaked water down the pipe, so replaced the seal. Now the bowl holds water indefinitely, and after airing the trailer out, thought the problem was solved. A day later, the odor has returned (the bowl still has the same level of water). Where can the odor be coming from? I've heard something about a vacuum breaker tied to the sewer system; could that somehow be defective and causing the problem? There's no odor anywhere else, so I don't think it's the grey tank.
The kitchen and bathroom sinks both have waterless traps. When they fail, you are huffing right from your gray tank. If you are handy, they are not hard to find and change. I think you can get replacements from Amazon or any RV or Marine supplier online.
pboomerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 11:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Camp Champ

http://campchamp.cheltec.com/

Order or buy at camping world. You most likely have a buildup of grease and soap scum in the black and grey tanks , traps not previously maintained well.

Step 1: Water in the traps and then put in clear Super Digest as per instructions. Pour in in your grey and black tanks. Also into your traps especially the bath shower.

The holding tanks must be 3/4 - full of water let them enzymes work for 3-5 days then flush out well.

After that use the Blue Odor Abate down the traps and in the Grey and Black tanks. Never mix the two. Super Digest is for season start up and then after every trip before going into storage. Example we dump on the last day home fill the tanks put it in then unpack clean the trailer and 3 days later flush.

I leave my tanks in storage 1/4 full of water and put in Blue Odor Abate Enzyme's they also clean and eliminate smell.

The company owner is super helpful call with questions. Been using this system for 4 years on our 2021
Life is a Highway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 01:42 PM   #16
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Dead Critter?

Just a thought, but any chance you have a dead mouse, chipmunk, or something someplace? Maybe between the floor and the sheet metal Airstream puts under the trailer??? I know before I covered them all up, my 2029 Sport 22' had lots of places for critters to crawl in.
Mark
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 03:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Since you bought a used trailer, you could have a poop-a-lagtite in your black water tank because previous owner did not follow good tank management practices. Turn the water pump off or the city water, get a good bright flashlight, and lift the toilet lid and step on the pedal to open the valve. Look down the hole into the tank and see what you see. If you see a big pile of solids that could be where the smell is coming from. To fix it, go somewhere where you have full hookups. Add some tank digester to the tank and fill it to about 75% with water. Let it sit for several hours. Then dump and and rinse several times using the black water tank rinse hookup. Drain everything out and look again. If you still see solids repeat the exercise. You may have to do several iterations of this to get rid of the poop-a-lagtite. Another thing people do is bring the hose inside the trailer with a hose nozzle on it and fire the hose directly down the shoot at the pile and beware of splatter. My wife and I had a loaner once and we spent an entire day cleaning out the tank.

The other possibility is if you only smell the smell when you're hooked up to the sewer at a campsite. Could be sewer gas coming up the stinky slinky and leaking into the cabin. You can fix this by putting the equivalent of a U trap in your sewer line. From where the stinky slinky connects to your discharge, bring the sewer hose down, then up over something to make a U trap, then down towards the sewer hookup. Release some gray water to fill the trap. Then the gas can't get into your trailer.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 04:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Dead mouse in the trash can. Get a $20 ozone-UV light on Amazon to kill the smell until you find it. The light will last for years. The ozone isn’t good for you for more than an hour at a time though.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 04:20 PM   #19

2021 27' Globetrotter
Reno , Nevada
Easiest solution worked

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. Don't know if I'll ever get the image of a poop-a-lagtite out of my head! It turns out that all that was needed was to add some water to the shower and bath sinks; evidently the water in the pea traps had escaped when I drove over the mountains, and without replacement the odor came up. A little water in those traps and all is well.

Obviously us rookies have a lot to learn; I appreciate everyone sharing their experience. I hope to return the favor on this forum or at the campsite. See everyone out there!
Old 05-13-2024, 06:34 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemark View Post
For anyone who has a mystery like this, I have solved one cause. My 2023 Pottery Barn is a whole different experience from the 2002 Classic I previously had.
So one day recently, I had the bright idea to open up the vent and run the fan in the bathroom with a window open up front, thinking that would be a good way to vent the trailer.
No, it wasn't. The bathroom reeked of a urine like smell. Over the next few days, I tried to figure out where the toilet had a vent pipe leak.
After going to this forum, I read about plugging the sink and adding water, which I did last night. This morning, no smell with the sink plugged, so I filled the bowl with water and then drained it, which refilled the curve in the pipe.
Apparently, running the fan like that caused the drain to empty, as someone suggested, because of negative pressure.
Well, lesson learned! That was a terrible gray tank smell, not the black tank.
Odor free and relieved!
DebH is offline   Reply With Quote