Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Owls Head , Maine
Persistent odor

We bought a 1998 Safari over the winter. The gentleman that owned it passed this past fall and hadn't used the AS for three years. He winterized it before parking it, emptied tanks, he took very good care on this AS. It had an odor when we looked at it but the price was right, we have been away for a couple months, it is in NH, (cold), and the odor is still there when we checked on it last week.
It is definitely coming from the bathroom area. I have read that the seals can go especially when not being used, but such a strong odor after three years? What should I do first to find the problem? Other then new tires, this AS is good to go for camping this year so I want to figure this out ASAP. I'm hoping April warms up so I can get started on this! I am thankful for any help with this.
terricrowe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Totally flush the tanks, gray and black. Use deoderizer. Could be a bad seal. Remember gray tanks can smell asbad asblack tanks..
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
My first thought is checking that there's about an inch of liquid in the toilet, and that there's liquid in the P-trap of the sink (as well as kitchen sink). Probably antifreeze if you're winterized.

My second thought is a leak somewhere that's led to floor rot. Our 2005 had an unpleasant odor that we assumed was just lack of good cleaning. I pretty sure I'll be able to sniff out rot/mold in a camper with ease for the rest of my life.

If the unit was well cared for, the rot issue is less probable. Highly probable that the P-traps and toilet are dry if it's been unused for a while. Good luck finding it and be sure to post the solution when you find it!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Do you have a padded white ceiling? That is known to produce a smell. We have a 1997 and we have just come to know it as that 'Airstream smell'. Airing out the trailer for a day usually takes care of it. But it it has been shut up for an period of time it is very noticeable.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Another place to check is batteries if it has them. They smell like rotten eggs when they're ready to blow....he may have taken the batteries out 3 years ago though. Between that, the possibility of a rodent dying in the belly insulation, all the other recommendations make sense. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Pour RV antifreeze in all your drains, sinks and shower. Maybe a quart in each. Enough to fill the traps in the drain line. I'm betting you're getting odor up from your tank due to dry traps.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote