Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Only one Thetford Valve?

Hi all
I have a 70 overlander, in using the plumbing and getting familiar with it it seems that I have only one valve to open in the rear compartment when dumping. Although when sinks and tub are being used water seems to drain continually out of the pipe on the bumper. Then I can open the gate valve and the black tank? seems to drain. I'm doing this with just water, no sewage while testing. The piping goes from the bumper outlet to inside the rear compartment right to the gate valve? I may not be seating completely but the flow slows to barely a trickle when closed. Not sure what my question is but what is the normal setup for this? Do I have one tank?
thanks in advance for any information
James
The Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You are correct, you have only a black tank. Airstream did not put grey tanks in untill the mid 70's. Several members have added them (big job) while they had the trailer in pieces. Most just use a blue portable tank. If you are camped with full hook up, no problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
So I now guess my valve is not sealing completely if I am getting run off. This looks like a major job as I can't get to it from the rear compartment. I guess one would go in from underneath.
thanks for the input.
James
Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Greetings,

My parents, and later we, had a 1970 Overlander. When dad had problems with the valve sealing off the flow he fashioned a rod with a 90 degree turn toward the end and used it to clean gunk and debris out of the valve seat area. I believe he did it every year or two.

I would not have the business end be jagged or sharp. You do want to clean, but the gasket may be fragile after many years and you don't want to tear it out.

Good luck!

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
jsflint ,your sink drains exit in front of the black tank valve gate .Inside the thetford fitting there is an opening for the grey to come out ,hence running out on the bumper .There is no grey tank and it does not go into the black tank so it drains right out as it is suppose to .You need a 45 degree elbow
along with the hose down to a blue tote or sewer if camping with full hookups.The grey water has no valve to keep it from exiting the pipe .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I forgot to say that some people will cap the pipe and open the black tank gate valve to run grey into the black then drain it all out ,but bad contamination (if you know what I mean up ) can happen as well by sharing the black this way ,don't do it ,use the tote .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The other problem with this is, even if you close the black tank valve you still have a bunch of blackish water in the line. When you remove the cap to hook up the hose, guess where that water is going?

Richard

Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
That was another question, how do I uncap without getting water all over me if its just waiting to pour out of the end at the bumper? What is the proper proceedure?
thanks for all the quick replies!
James
Old 10-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Blue Tote After thought

Sorry
what is the blue tote? and where do you get one and how do you hook-up?
James
Old 10-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
A "Blue Tote" is a portable plastic tank designed to empty your grey or black tank into. (I only use mine for grey) It has wheels so you can tow it over to the dump station and empty it.

As far as your drain cap, if you leave it on while using your sink/shower, you will have nasty water backing up in your shower pan. You MUST have the drain cap off before using any grey water. Don't ask me how I know this.

Unfortunately, if your black valve leaks by, you will get wet taking the cap off if there is "product" in the tank. All I can say is, wear gloves or fix the valve.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflint
That was another question, how do I uncap without getting water all over me if its just waiting to pour out of the end at the bumper? What is the proper proceedure?
thanks for all the quick replies!
James
You don't. That is the problem.

Richard