Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Chemicals in grey tank?
I never use chemicals in my grey tank. 26 48.15%
I seldom use chemicals in my grey tank. 20 37.04%
I always use chemicals in my grey tank. 7 12.96%
I had a problem with my grey tank. [smells Etc.] 2 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Grey Tank Care and Maintenance

We use a gray tank deodorizer/cleaner product I think is sold under the TST brand. It's a lemony liquid and you can get it at Wally World. When we put Daisy away for awhile, we pour a little down each of the drains followed by a gallon of water equally distributed. This sits in the tank while we're not using it and when we are back on the road, we dispose of this tank in an RV dump station. We have never had any problems or smells with our gray tank following this procedure.

When we are traveling (moving each day instead of base camping), our daily routine is to use the pump and water in our fresh tank. Each morning we dump the grey water and refill the fresh tank. This keeps both tanks fresh and clean and we know the pump is working too.

If we are base camping and connected to a sewer, we let the gray water drain until the day before we need to dump the black tank. We save some wash water to use as a rinse for the hose. The only time we add any chemicals again is when we go back into storage.

The "old timers" have told me that when you dump gray water on the ground, where its allowed, you should dump it as it is made to prevent the possible side effects of too much wash water. To be as green as possible with a ground drain: (1) Strain all your wash water to make sure no garbage goes down the drain (you can get a sink strainer at Bed Bath and Beyond); (2) Drain at least 200 ft away from any natural ground water (rivers, streams, lakes, etc.), and (3) Eliminate all antibacterial soaps in your trailer--use only natural soaps. Following these rules you would do no harm.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
We put in digester into the gray tank if we are not using the RV for more than a month. We always use chemicals in the black tank -- I do not agree with Lev that using chemicals in the black tank makes no difference.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I put enzymes in the black tank daily and dump it about once every 5 days. When we leave the campground to head home I flush the black tank really well and then let about 2-3 gallons of clear water to collect in the black tank and add a dose of enzymes about once per week until we go camping again. I tried a "green" environmentally friendly product that was pine scented...way too much pine smell. Smelled the bathroom up like Pinezol every time we flushed. I got rid of it and went back to the citrus scented enzyme stuff. I just put some of that down the drains in the sinks/showers daily.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #24
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I've never used chemicals in gray tank. I'm careful with dishwashing and very little food residue goes down the drain. Usually the gray water comes out smelling like shampoo or dish detergent.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
I put enzymes in the black tank daily and dump it about once every 5 days.
What product do you use in the Black Tank, and have you been happy with it, i.e., do you get any smell on a hot day with an almost full tank? I tried a free sample of something at Bozeman last year, and by the time our pumpout came (every four days) we were ready for that to go. I've always had good results with Thetford's formaldehyde free liquid, but the enzyme treatments sound interesting.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
What product do you use in the Black Tank, and have you been happy with it, i.e., do you get any smell on a hot day with an almost full tank?

Randy
Our Airstream dealer gave us a starter kit that included the orange powder, I forget the name, and we've never had a smell in the Airstream, even at Ft. Wilderness over the 4th of July week. Now, the effluent that comes out of the tank, now that is a different story (but not like a week's worth, probably like a day's worth). But I put a pouch in every day and break one pouch and wash it down the sink/shower drain every day after showers and drain the gray tank the next morning before showers. It is available at Wal-Mart.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote