Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
New black tank pan

Got to get one fabricated for the 73 sovereign. Is galvanized like original good enough or should I go stainless? Cost would be only factor and I'm inclined to go with stainless.
Rear is gutted to the frame now, floor template made and I'm about to start welding. Gettin' there!
RaleighAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
RaleighAir I was able to keep my original pans for the black and grey tanks on my 73. I painted the with the POR-15 frame paint and first metal etched them and then marine cleaned them before painting. You could use galvanized and do the same to save the cost of stainless as long as you are going to POR-15 the frame.
BTW are you adding a grey tank? My 73 is an excella and from what I understand the only 73 model with a grey tank.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We went with galvanized like the original. Figured the first one lasted more than 45 years, if we get another 45 out of the new one we'll be in good shape.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
No plans to add a gray tank but I am going to por15 the frame. Adding gray may be more difficult than what I want to get into, plus my old black tank is fine and no leaks. Wonder if gray/black fit in the same slot together as original black tank, just smaller capacities for both? That wouldn't be too bad.
I've got what's left of my galv pan to take to fabricator for estimates today. It's a holey mess.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Raleigh is yours center or rear bath model? Now would be the time to add a grey tank while the floor is up. It's not that hard to do or that costly and helps with resale value and much better to use as nowadays you can't just let the grey run on the ground.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
mine's rear bath. I've only opened up the last 4' of floor, so if i can get a grey tank in there I might do it.
Wasaga I've been following and admiring your work. Just did my new armstrong ac cover too but painted white. I've got a lot more to do but just trying to get back on the road to get the kids out camping.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
RaleighAir I can understand now. The grey tank would need to go just behind the axles and that would require opening up more of the floor. You can always use one of those blue tote tanks or get a site with a sewer hookup. I full timed in mine on a site without a sewer and believe you me using those blue totes is no fun. Inevitably the grey tank would fill up while I was in the shower. Suddenly you're ankle deep in water and have to stop, get dressed, go out and empty the grey into the tote. By the time you get both tanks into the tote and over to the dump station which requires two trips you need a nother shower. LOL.
With you being in NC I can see your desire to get out camping again. Here now it seems so foreign with all the snow and cold weather. We had another ft Friday and another 6 inches last night. Well it should be all over in a few weeks.
Did you get the new fiberglass a/c cover. I found mine required a lot on sanding to get a perfect finish. Luckily the local Ford dealer did all the work and painted it for me for free. Seems that after spending so much on my new TV and a few body jobs on Mom's car I'm a prefered customer.
So are you keeping yours mostly original or totally redoing the interior?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
I think I'll rely on a greywater blue tote for now. I bought the sovereign last spring, took it out twice to get the hang of things, discovered what I needed to fix, and now I'm deep into it. Kids are itchin' to camp this summer so I'm trying to keep it simple and get her rollin. All my rot was in the rear, just a little at the front door; the middle is surprisingly in good shape and in peeking under there, the crossmembers/underside of floor still look great and no rust.
Everything I fix, I'm trying to upgrade, beef up, do better and make this thing last - but still git er done without delay. Kids are 9, 4, and newborn on the way so I don't want them to miss out on camping while waiting on me! I think we'll mostly have hookups and occasionally boondock. I do want to take the fam cross country someday though and grey tank would be nice.
I've heard of some folks adding a valve before the waste pipe exits the frame and letting grey water "backup" into black. I see how that would work but not sure it's a good idea.

I did the fiberglass cover from inland. I didn't get to the perfect, polished finish like yours, but it looks great especially from the ground. Come to find out, some PO had replaced compressor at some point with one about 1" taller. So I cut out the "hump", fiberglassed it back 1.5" higher and finished it this past Sunday.
My interior is in pretty good shape so I think I'll keep mostly original for simplicity. Maybe change up some bathroom finishes since I have the opportunity.

I'm positive I'll always have an airstream, and now that I've learned a little I might one day do a total custom redo on another. I'm drooling over the polishing but that's last on my list.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I had a buddy in the HVAC business fab me one from galvanized. I took him the measurements and had him bend it up on his break. Any sheet metal shop can help you. I put the pieces together myself with rivets. He used some scrap and did not even charge me, course I have purchased 2 AC units from him. Also, I use a "blue boy" for gray water at sites without full hook up. Thought about adding a grey tank but just too much involved as I was ready to start using my trailer instead of working on it.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
RaleighAir we all have a little rot in the rear. LMAO.
I totally understand not wanting the kids to miss out. I feel like I may get mine done in time to retire in 10 yrs.
I wouldn't drool over polishing. It's awful work and feels like it will never end. Mine looks good in the pics but I'm having a devil of a time getting it right. Lots of shadows and lines still showing up. If I knew then what I know now I never would have stripped it and started polishing.
I read about the compressor replacement and thats good to know. INLAND Andy says if the compressor goes the A/C is finished. There is a bit of work to modify the trailer to fit a new style A/C.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Compressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
INLAND Andy says if the compressor goes the A/C is finished.
I'm sure there are a lot of A/C mechanics that will beg to differ! Keep in mind these are words from a guy that sells new air conditioners! Air conditioners are a simple system and can and have been kept running by great A/C mechanics.

Post some pics of the fiberglass job!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
I'm installing two 25 gallon gray tanks. I'm not going to put them in a tank pan like the originals. I do plan to add some insulation and a heater mat. The cost of the tanks isn't so significant. About the same as a blue boy. It is some tedious work, but getting out of the shower to empty the blue boy isn't fun either!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
My hvac guy said about $50 for a new galv pan. I think that's fair.
I'll put up some pics of my fiberglass job. The ac still runs great and just about chilled us out last summer when it was mid 90's.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
My ac shroud is here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...tml#post955512
but here's a pic too.

I guess it's time for me to start a general thread of my own 'stream saga. Is that that most folks do - or more as a "blog"? I've spent months here learning as I go, and posting a random thought/question here and there. My AC pan will be done today and the guy was even going to drop it off at the house for me.
So now it's time to get into the rear part of the frame. Welding, por15, etc. I might add a couple of outriggers in the rear. I don't see any reason they would not have been there originally but sure looks like they are needed.
Top I've been following your work too, looking great. I've got frame issues in the rear and I think it's isolated to that area. I hope I don't have that slight buckle at the "fulcrum" behind axles but I do notice a slight hump in the floor around there. The frame at that point looks fine - maybe just a curve that's part of a 31' trailer? Maybe it will smooth out when I pull the rear back up tight?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
RaleighAir,
The shroud looks great. I'm thinking of having mine painted silver like WasagaChris did. It looks really sharp. I think it is best to have one thread with all your resto things in one place. That way it is easier to keep up with posting and also for people to follow.
Thanks for the compliment! It seems like an easy task to accomplish when you start. As the pile of interior parts piles up on the outside, it can seem overwhelming! But, here on the forums we a support group of sorts. Ready to keep you inspired!
Since you have a long trailer, I'm sure that when you repair/reinforce the frame, get new subfloor in and bolt it all together correctly, it will be tight as a drum!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
As the pile of interior parts piles up on the outside, it can seem overwhelming! But, here on the forums we a support group of sorts. Ready to keep you inspired!
Lance you mean like this pile?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer inside out.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	122911  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #17
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Yep!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Amen on the parts pile. My bathroom covers half of a 2 car garage and wife is ready to have her park space back.
I was thinking silver too but thought I might eventually paint roof white - not sure if I like the look yet though.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of A/C mechanics that will beg to differ! Keep in mind these are words from a guy that sells new air conditioners! Air conditioners are a simple system and can and have been kept running by great A/C mechanics.

Post some pics of the fiberglass job!
Your absolutely correct.

Any AC compressor can be replaced.

BUT, you will find that it typically will cost at least 50 to 60 percent, or more, of a new AC, when the labor is added to the cost of the compressor.

For most people, that would not make a good investment.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
50% off what could be a $600 investment sounds like a pretty good deal to those of us who are cash poor in this rotten economy. If I can get by with a cheaper fix now and worry about replacing the whole thing ten years down the road, I know which option I'd take!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 sovereign, 31', tank support