Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #1

never stepped foot in a trailer before

Bought my first trailer ever, a 76 tradewind, and am going to stay in it while I build a house about 2 1/2 hrs from where we live.Heater, watertank and fridge all are working.But the water system has me baffled. A P.O. has installed some goofy clean out system . Can some one tell me the simplest most direct way of configuring the water piping ( I will redo what I have to) . It looks like there is only one original clear plastic drain tube going thru the belly pan and it isnt hooked up any more. Also wondering, when I am hooked up to city water, do I need to fill the fresh water tank. Does the system use the water pump when hooked to city water.? Regarding the black and grey tanks; when fully hooked up, do I keep the discharge valves open, or do I keep just the black closed to keep water in the tank and empty it on a as need to basis? I must sound naive here but after reading some stuff by Phred I realize its all about understanding the basics and going from there. Any input here is appreciated.
christo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernation
Bought my first trailer ever, a 76 tradewind, and am going to stay in it while I build a house about 2 1/2 hrs from where we live.Heater, watertank and fridge all are working.But the water system has me baffled. A P.O. has installed some goofy clean out system . Can some one tell me the simplest most direct way of configuring the water piping ( I will redo what I have to) . It looks like there is only one original clear plastic drain tube going thru the belly pan and it isnt hooked up any more. Also wondering, when I am hooked up to city water, do I need to fill the fresh water tank. Does the system use the water pump when hooked to city water.? Regarding the black and grey tanks; when fully hooked up, do I keep the discharge valves open, or do I keep just the black closed to keep water in the tank and empty it on a as need to basis? I must sound naive here but after reading some stuff by Phred I realize its all about understanding the basics and going from there. Any input here is appreciated.
First, welcome to the Forums! Congratulations on your purchase, Tradewind's are good mid-size trailers. To answer some of your questions:
1-Depending on which clear plastic drain tube you are looking at, this can be a drain for the fresh water tank, or a drain for the factory A/C unit.
2-When hooked up to city water, as designed, the water pump is not needed, in fact, in some cases if you run the water pump while hooked up to city water the tank may backfill from the higher pressure of the incoming water.
3-Filling the freshwater tank is not needed to use city water.
4-Personal recommendation, keep the black tank closed until full, then dump. This will keep small piles of poo and toilet paper from forming under the toilet drain. The wash water tank can be left open to drain as needed.
5-The "goofy clean out system" may be a winterizing kit, installed to add RV antifreeze to the pipes to keep them from freezing and rupturing.
Terry