Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Brian,

Did you look around the RV dealers for it? That's a fairly common piece, IMHO. The one on my TT broke (well, I broke it) and I got another one at a non-AS dealer Kingston.

or phone Can-Am in London, ON and have them mail you one...?

Great minds and all that!

I was thinking to call CanAm on Monday!

I'm due to order some replacement wheel bearing seals as well, so could combine shipping on one order if they have the sewer hose fitting adapter.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I had the fortunate misfortune to replace the valves on the gray and black tanks...I went ahead and just replaced the whole shebang, from both tanks to a sweep connection to a common outlet with the black pipe...now I can use Valterra fittings...if I EVER have to do anything involving a black water tank again, I'm gonna pay someone to do it...lordy, what a stinkin' mess(4 trips to the commode with a 5 gallon bucket...)...my wife is, at least, talking to me again...and I have discovered that 'measure twice, cut once' applies ONLY if you take into account the 1/2" insert to connect the pipes...plastic pipes,are like copper or galvanized...THEY DON'T STRETCH!!! m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
I had the fortunate misfortune to replace the valves on the gray and black tanks...I went ahead and just replaced the whole shebang, from both tanks to a sweep connection to a common outlet with the black pipe...now I can use Valterra fittings...if I EVER have to do anything involving a black water tank again, I'm gonna pay someone to do it...lordy, what a stinkin' mess(4 trips to the commode with a 5 gallon bucket...)...my wife is, at least, talking to me again...and I have discovered that 'measure twice, cut once' applies ONLY if you take into account the 1/2" insert to connect the pipes...plastic pipes,are like copper or galvanized...THEY DON'T STRETCH!!! m
Wy wife says I'm an incurable pessimist - and she's right. I respond by telling her that by always expecting the worst, I only get pleasant surprises!

I'm just waiting for the day when I pull the handle on the black tank and it just pulls out of the valve blade leaving the tank full!

I'm really not sure what I would do at that point to resolve the situation! Airstream seem to have made the situation worse by enclosing the tank valves. I suppose that to get at the valves the easiest thing would be to cut an access hatch in the the sheet metal - carefully!

If there is any small consolation, it is that ever since we started RV-ing many many years ago, I have set a house rule that we only "pee" in the trailer toilet!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
My wife gets the toilet, I get the bottle...by the way(ok, ok,...BTW, if you text-I don't), I do have an extra handle that kinda just kept coming when I pulled on it...
it's yours if you want it, but it's in Colorado and I'm in Arizona...I could send you directions...
Old 01-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
My wife gets the toilet, I get the bottle...by the way(ok, ok,...BTW, if you text-I don't), I do have an extra handle that kinda just kept coming when I pulled on it...
it's yours if you want it, but it's in Colorado and I'm in Arizona...I could send you directions...
So, if I understand, you actually did have the situation where the handle pulled out and left the black tank full?

How did you manage to empty the tank in order to change the valve assembly?

Did you get someone with equipt. to empty via the toilet, or did you somehow get the slide valve to open even without the handle?

I need to know so's I'll be ready when it is my turn!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Brian,
You asked...you get...but it ain't pretty...think Robin Williams in his RV movie...

The handle pulled out, and there was a stream coming out the small hole, till it plugged with...well...it plugged. I was thinking I only had about 3-4 gallons of effluvia, but these estimations were a fluid guess...I had the 5 gal bucket under the drain, and it filled at an alarming rate...overfilled, actually...so I had to cap it off in mid-gush...I got to do this 3 more times till the flow became an ooze...I hosed myself and the gravel driveway down, stripped on the back deck, and took a shower till the hot water was used up...in Silverton, cold water out of the tap is about 34 degrees, so that just added to my already pleasant disposition...talk about throwing it in the fan when yer standing in front of it...I can almost smile about it now(I think it's called a rueful chuckle), but I won't try it again...EVER. My sinuses will never be the same, and if I wasn't already bent, I'd probably be doing therapy...I sincerely hope it will never be "your turn"...mike
Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
VTS has the Thedford cap that has a fitting for a hose to screw on. I use one my 68.

Thetford Garden Hose Adapter
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Brian,
You asked...you get...but it ain't pretty...think Robin Williams in his RV movie...

The handle pulled out, and there was a stream coming out the small hole, till it plugged with...well...it plugged. I was thinking I only had about 3-4 gallons of effluvia, but these estimations were a fluid guess...I had the 5 gal bucket under the drain, and it filled at an alarming rate...overfilled, actually...so I had to cap it off in mid-gush...I got to do this 3 more times till the flow became an ooze...I hosed myself and the gravel driveway down, stripped on the back deck, and took a shower till the hot water was used up...in Silverton, cold water out of the tap is about 34 degrees, so that just added to my already pleasant disposition...talk about throwing it in the fan when yer standing in front of it...I can almost smile about it now(I think it's called a rueful chuckle), but I won't try it again...EVER. My sinuses will never be the same, and if I wasn't already bent, I'd probably be doing therapy...I sincerely hope it will never be "your turn"...mike

Wow, I think I'll invest in some of that stuff that is supposed to lubricate the slide valves! (Wonder what that stuff is and if there is a home remedy that does the same thing?)

Anyway, what I was specifically wondering about was how do you get the blade of the valve to open in order to dump the tank once the handle & rod have pulled out of the blade?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'

Tags
fittings, waste cap