Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
South Weber , Utah
Need to replace black water tank

Have a 1971 29" Ambassador. Blackwater tank leaks badly. Have losened the belly skin for access...all I can see is styrofoam panel. How do I remove/replace the tank?
fisherjdou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Check out TomW's web site. He a good section on how he rehabed the black tank in his 67 Overlander. 1967 Airstream Overlander. If all you are seeing is styrofoam, the galvanized box that holds the black tank may be totally rusted out. If you need a new tank and not just the valve, Andy at Inlandrv.com has replacements. If you need the galvanized box, any HVAC business that does their own duct work can fab one for you in short order.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
South Weber , Utah
Thanks

Box is rusted through. Tanks cracked from near outlet across top. It's half way out in pieces. Gonna need a new tank and box. Insulation is in good shape so I'll use the HVAC idea. Found a little rot at end of the flooring but in good shape compared to those I've seen on the web.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
jesup , Georgia
black tank problem

snagged drains on curb and broke line at dump valve on tank side of black water. if pan is removed tanks will fall out i assume. can valve be replaced without a pan drop. do not have suitable area to work.
wwhidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The black tank won't just fall out if you remove the pan because the toilet flange is screwed into the top of it and a vent line and probably a warm air inlet (keeps the tanks from freezing when camping in the cold). You will need to remove the toilet, unscrew the flange from the inside of the trailer, find the vent stack and cut it (do so in a place where you can glue a connector in during the reinstall) and finally the warm air input ( not sure on yours exactly how is is constructed).

You may be able to install a new dump valve without removing the tank and if you can it would be much easier.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
South Weber , Utah
Thanks everyone! Tank is out, new one arrived. Also bought new dumpvalve and connector plus toilet mount. Just need a good HVAC/sheetmetel guy to make a box and its on to install...whooo hooo!

Any tricks to the trade on install?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1975 29' Ambassador
Greenfield , Massachusetts
I have a 75 29' Ambassador with a center bath and I need to service the grey water tank...(it drips from underneath when taking a shower). fisherjdou is yours a center bath?

Does anybody know if you can service the tank by just removing the pan above the axles? Do I need to remove the axles?

When I look under the kitchen sink it looks like the fresh water tank is sitting on another floor under the main floor. I'm curious if this is also under the Grey tank? Any suggestions or tips would help me out a great deal. Thanks
msieber109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
South Weber , Utah
Mine is a rear bath 71

My 71 is a rear bath but the tank was inside a styrofoam lined galvanized steel box to provide structural support and load bearing. The styrofoam insulates the tank but allows warm air flow around the tank from the furnace to help prevent freezing. You may be seeing the bottom inside of the box or insulation.