Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Need Macerator Pump

I need an external Macerator pump that I can attach to the waste outlet and periodically pump sewage to the house septic system. Might have a mother-in-law staying in the trailer after eye surgery. How far can these things pump sewage? Can they pump up hill. I have enough land that I could dump it out in the yard for that matter. I am sure it would help the grass.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
We pump ours up hill through about 25' of 3/4" hose with nary a problem. I have used a 50' hose in the past; the current one is just a better fit.
JDnBeastlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
How far and how high they can pump will vary, according to many factors. Hose diameter. Amount of solids in the water. Distance. Difference in elevation.

Flojet offers a good one designed for temporary connection.
http://www.amazon.com/Flojet-1855500...or+pump+for+rv
It has a 50' horizontal pumping distance through a 3/4" hose, or can pump up to 20 feet straight up through the same diameter hose. But in simplest terms, for every 2 feet you go up, you lose 3 feet of distance— and that's distance through the hose, not straight-line distance. Which means you could only pump 20 feet straight up through a 20-foot hose, but not through a 25-foot hose. Not that you want to go 20 feet straight up, but you get my point. Us a hose that best fits the distance to be pumped, because the shorter the hose, the better for most efficient pumping.

Flow rate slows down the more you try to pump uphill, while at the same time the amperage draw goes up. If you're on a 20amp circuit, you've got full capabilities, but if you're only on a 15amp circuit, cut the maximum distance AND height in half.

If you go with a macerator pump, let me suggest this: Dump the black tank when it's only half full— but fill it the rest of the way with HOT water before dumping. That helps soften the solids to help the macerator pump grind better. And by all means use enzyme tank treatment to break down the solids as much as possible before pumping.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I really want something I can plug into the wall. 12V would be a pain to deal with at home. This thing will be docked. 12V would be ok for boon docking where you were just trying to get the stuff away from the trailer.

Looks like most of them are 12V. I may have to live with that.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My Airstream waste tank dump port is often lower than the sewer connection at campgrounds we visit. A slinky makes a lousy hose, even when I use my elevated half pipe supports.

So I purchased a Thetford Sani Con "Tank Buddy" macerator. It is 12v, but I wired a handy connection point. The macerator maybe pulls 10 amps or more when pumping. The thing works great and solves the stinky slinky problem. It seems to grind up anything that flows out of the black tank. And I can rinse the flex hose with the gray water dump.

I had trouble with the bayonet connection ears braking off. Thetford may have used the wrong plastic material for this application. And I had trouble getting a replacement part for it. Further, Thetford designed the thing with a straight connection. So when I disconnected it, I would spill a quart of gray water. that is trapped between the dump valves and the pump I rigged a 45 degree connector so the pump inlet cavity will drain more thoroughly.

Some folks have good luck with the Sewer Solution. It is water powered and seems to work pretty good. At least it solves the 12v power question. Flow Jet makes one too.

A macerator would allow you to empty the waste water tanks into a household sewer drain. (Maybe a soil pipe clean out port?)

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Flojet

I have the flojet above and it works very well. I pump at a slight uphill for about 75ft to my septic and I haven't had an issue.
The 12v is kind of a pain, but between 2 of us living in the trailer right now(not an AS, but a newer slide out), I have to pump every 2-3 weeks. I just pull the truck close enough and use jumper cables to power it.
Another thing is you can find it on Jet.com and use a promo to get 15% off and it ends up being $180ish?
Brad H is offline   Reply With Quote