Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Need help with size of black tank replacement

Just got the black tank (it is red ?) out of the 1966 safari. I found three major cracks so it is to be replaced. I measured every angle I could think of and now have a few questions. Does it need to be replaced with the same size? Since the opening in the space we removed it from is 54 by 28 by 7, could the tank also be increased in size. Where would I be able to have one made? I was also wondering if this was this the original tank, red seems like a strange color? There is a Styrofoam bed under the tank and the tank was screwed to the floor and the flange is cast iron. I wasn't able to get it off when I removed the toilet so it is still attached.
Thank for you help.
Deborah
drowe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe42 View Post
Just got the black tank (it is red ?) out of the 1966 safari. I found three major cracks so it is to be replaced. I measured every angle I could think of and now have a few questions. Does it need to be replaced with the same size? Since the opening in the space we removed it from is 54 by 28 by 7, could the tank also be increased in size. Where would I be able to have one made? I was also wondering if this was this the original tank, red seems like a strange color? There is a Styrofoam bed under the tank and the tank was screwed to the floor and the flange is cast iron. I wasn't able to get it off when I removed the toilet so it is still attached.
Thank for you help.
Deborah
Increasing that tank size would create a number of issues.

The styrofoam bed and around the sides are for cold weather insulation.

There should have been a small hose hooked to the tank pan, that came from a heat duct, so that when you ran the furnace, a little heat went around the tank to keep it from freezing.

The original floor flanges were cast metal.

A fiberglass exact replacement is available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
I don't see any hoses near the pan. The original heating vent was stuffed with insulation and blocked off when the carpet was put in and the original furnace is gone. The "new" one is in the same spot but is a different shape. I believe it is a suburban. The end of the vent was originally open to the area that holds the black tank. Could this be the source of heat for the tank?
drowe42 is offline   Reply With Quote