Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
My tank fell out!

Been living in the 1966 Overlander for about a week while moving into new house. After about a week of the TX heat, I started to smell the black water tank. I says, I ought to run dump that tank right quick. I hooked up the trailer and headed for the local dump station. At a stop sign, another motorist was kind enough to tell me: "Your sewer fell out". O.K. I got out and looked, and the support pan that holds the black water tank had rusted out on 3 sides and just fell apart. An awkward, embarrasing position to be in.

Now ... when I get time, I need to fix this thing. Anything special I need to know about this pan? It would appear to be something I could have fabricated at the local air conditioning sheet metal shop. How does the toilet seal to the top of the tank? Anybody "been there, done that?"

Thanks,

JMG
John Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_greenlee
At a stop sign, another motorist was kind enough to tell me: "Your sewer fell out". O.K. I got out and looked, and the support pan that holds the black water tank had rusted out on 3 sides and just fell apart. An awkward, embarrasing position to be in.

Did you get some video of this 'accident' You may have a $10,000 prize winner.
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Good one!

only thing I saw recently (wish I had the camera) was a sign that said "come on in, sit down, have a coffee" which is fine except it was RIGHT next to a porta-john! You are right in that you can have any metal fab shop make a new pan out of galvanized for you, get some 1-inch or so angle-iron if your supports are rusted through, and you have a new set-up. On my '72, there is a screw-in flange for the toilet (screws into the tank, toilet sits on it like any residential set-up except they use foam gaskets, not wax- I think. Piece of cake! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
My '73 Overlander is a lot like Tphan's. I had one made tha local sheet metal shop. We will be installing the belly pan this weekend, along with the new poo tank & pan & support rails. You can see a couple of pictures of the pan, etc here (look towards the end). I'll post more after the job is done this weekend.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...nte-15132.html

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
Help me understand how this thing goes together. It appears with my limited inspection that the tank is supported by the sheet metal pan that is bolted up to the 3/4" ply floor. Are there additional supports? (i.e. you mentioned angle iron).

And, what type of gasket and where do I get it for connecting the (ceramic?) pot to the tank?

Thanks!

JMG
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
JMG, on my 1973 model, the black water tank sits on top of a piece of Styrofoam inside the sheet metal pan. This pan, in turn, sits on two pieces of angle iron that are bolted to, and run laterally between, the two main frame rails.

Yours may be different, however. I can’t help you with gasket material. You might try a plumbing supply place, tho.

I can get a couple of pictures, but it will be tonight.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
It looks like I should replace the black water tank. I has some cracks in the top and the flange in the front left corner for the vent tore out. Mine is made of a black plastic material. Are new tanks available and where is a good source? Is it practical to repair one?

Thanks,

JMG
Old 06-25-2006, 03:00 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
If you have a Sealand toilet, its held on to the closet flange with 4 bolts.
Theres a special foam gasket thats good for all years. I got mine at marksRV.com.
Also I saw black water tanks when looking through inlandrv.com

btw, DO NOT USE WAX RINGs like the PO did, they dont seem to deal with all the wobbling that occures when driving, and leach toilet water into the floor.
volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
My toilet is the ceramic one that came on the trailer. It has a corroded looking flange on the bottom that screwed? into the black water tank. What parts are available and needed in this area?

Are these tanks unique to Airstream, or or they off the shelf type of items?

Thanks,

JMG
Old 06-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Try PPL

So far they have had everything I need for my 77

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com